5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, as good as Halo 2.
I was curious about his game some people were nuts about, so I borrowed it from a friend, and LOVED it! Some of the missions can be challenging, but you eventually get them done. Now for an organised Review:

Graphics: Pretty good. Not as good as Halo 2, since there's no expressions, but some of the special effects are done nicely.

4/5...
Published on December 17, 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Return of the Battlefront
It is very similar to the first, but with some new added features/gameplay.

I enjoyed the first, and there is a little bit of a "learning curve" that even experienced players of SW: Battlefront will have to adapt to when playing II. But it is not as bad as you think. Takes only a couple of minutes to figure out the new controls. And yes you can reload your...
Published on November 9, 2005 by B. McBeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, as good as Halo 2., December 17, 2005

4/5

Gameplay: Very difficult to just pick up and play, but play a few easy missions like Kamino, and you'll be destroying droidekas in no time. In the missions, if you get enough kills, you unlock 2 special troops, each with special abilities. Also, if you do good enough and get lots of kills without dying, you get to play as a Hero, and deal some serious damage. Have a hard time using your hero? Do Assault on Mos Eisly Cantina, and you'll get to practice aginst other heros and Villains in the Ultimate fragfest.

5/5

Durability: Tons of Missions to do and areas to explore, making this quite a worthwile game. VERY long, should actually take you a few days to beat, like a good game should.

5/5

Multiplayer:

Has a few downsides, like getting a mode you don't want, but there's one downside here: Only 2 Players at once can play on Xbox Live. But, fortunately, this game has the tendancy to not get into too extreme competition, unlike Halo 2, which makes the split-screen much better than Xbox Live.

4/5

Overall, this is by far the best StarWars game ever. give it: 5/5. A must-have for any Star Wars fan. I hope you enjoyed this game as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Improvements but H-HARD!!, November 3, 2005
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I haven't played through the whole game yet but the improvements I have seen so far are very good. However before I get to the changes in game play I have to say that this game makes Battlefront I look like a walk in the park. The space battles are HARD and when I say "HARD" I mean borderline "IMPOSSIBLE". Flying over to land on an opposing ship with turbo lasers frying anything that gets close to it only to land (if you make it) and have 10 enemy pilots waiting to blast you when you step out of the cockpit as well as automated blasters guarding vital systems that you need to blow up equals a lot of controller hurling frustration.

On the positive side the playable heroes are powerful but unfortunately seem to function more as temporary bonuses rather than "characters". Heroes can only be accessed during certain points in a battle and are limited to their own boards. For example you can't play as Han Solo during the Clone Wars. Once a hero is killed you'll be waiting awhile for them to respawn unless you change the settings.

The graphics are much improved over the first game but as a trade off (on the PS2 version) the game does suffer from choppy animation and even slowdown at times. As far as sound goes you will still get tired of hearing "They've captured a command post!" but having voice actors that at least sound similar to the each of the heroes was a nice touch.

Battlefront II also ushers in some new game play modes including the 501st mode which is Battlefront's version of a story mode that follows the storyline of the films. Some older modes have been given a new amount of depth including a much deeper, sophisticated Galactic Conquest mode and better Instant Action mode that lets you incorporate heroes right from the start (rather than having to unlock them)

All in all this is probably the most comprehensive, "all purpose" Star Wars game in awhile. While most Star Wars games focus on the events of specific movie or on characters that don't even appear in the movies, this game spans ALL the movies and has every major character, minion, and vehicle represented and playable in some way. You can't ask for much more than that...

5.0 out of 5 stars WHOLE NEW GAME, November 2, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
This game is different, I bought battlefront II thinking "I master Battlefront I on hard level in one day, so I should be able to jump right into battlefront II and wipe everyone out" Not!! When I 1st got the game I went right to Galactic Conquest I click on the 1st selection and I was fighting in space and was very excited until I got kill 15 times!! (most I ever died in Battlefront I was 4 times) then to top it off I couldn't shot down any ships, I became very frustrated!!! Then I exited the space fighting and went to Genoese to do land battle (which I know I'm expert at) then I was being killed there every minute and I had hard time understand were my life meter was, how to reload ammo etc... I was ready to give up on the game and understood why some people said Battlefront II isn't as good as Battlefront I.

Then I decided to started the game from the beginning and went through "Training" which is Very easy but that is where I learn how I can change my trooper in the middle of the game (without having to kill myself, is a great new feature!!) and how to use a Jedi, after the training was done I went to "Over View of Space" where it tells you to do "Rise of the Empire" Your on land at 1st, which is easy to accomplish but you learn how to take down shields and find object to take back to base or to a ship. Then your in space where it teaches you how to fly, how to lock on the targets, and how to fly into enemies hangers and blow up their ships. After completing all the task in the training & Rise of the empire, then I jump into Galactic Conquest and I did so Much Better and I now LOVE Battlefront II.

It's so much more challenging Then BFI, you can't accomplish BFII in one day, which I like!! BFI my 4yr old can play it and get score as high as me, but BFII is to hard for him as it should be. There are more troops & vehicles to choose from. And I don't understand why other say the graphic are bad, maybe they have cheap TV's. But on my 32" flat screen TV the graphic are crystal clear for me, the planets have more detail and are almost real looking, the wookies look a lot better then they did in Battlefront I. There are so many more planets to choose from and fighting in space is a great feature when you get tired of doing land battles.

The best advice I can give: I don't care how good you are at Battlefront I, this is a Whole new game with different features so I suggest going through "Training" and "Rise of the Empire" before conquering the galaxy and you'll like the game much better I do. BFII IS SO MUCH BETTER THEN BFI!! can't wait for BFIII

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for any PS2 Gamer, November 27, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Star Wars Battlefront II is a great sequel to a wonderful game. Numerous game balance issues have been remedied, and new features bring interesting challenges.

First, the basic premise. This game is all about massive scale battles on pretty much any location thought of in the Star Wars universe. You can run around the streets of Tattoine, jumping from sandstone building to building, mowing down rebel forces. You can explore Hoth, fighting off the snow. Even the meteorite featured for a few seconds when Padme gave birth is here.

With this wealth of locations, you also get a huge selection of unit types. There are traditional stormtroopers, snowtroopers, sandtroopers. You get jawas and tuskan raiders. You can even play as a jedi for a short period of time, to give your team an edge.

There are all sorts of game modes to play in. There's Galactic Conquest which gives you a giant galaxy map of the planets, and you move fleets of ships across them, taking on one planet at a time. Your aim of course is to take them all over. There's cool games like capture the flag and hunt, for quick, fun gameplay.

I love the fact that the world is so in depth. For example, you can be flying your shuttle in space, dodging laser bullets from other ships, with a planet spinning below. If you fly your shuttle into an enemy ship, you can actually hop out and start running around IN the ship, shooting out the troops. You can even attack the systems of the ship - like the shields and engines - to damage the ship. In the background you can see other battles going on, giving your actions an epic feel.

It's important to note that this is not an EASY game. There is a lot to learn here. You can switch characters on the fly, earn points to unlock items, earn bonusses mid-game to upgrade weapons, and much more. It's really key to do the training missions and understand how this all works.

The graphics are really stunning. The textures on the building, the character models, the general look and feel of each world, was clearly done with an eye to detail. The sound is equally good, providing the original sound styles from the Star Wars world to draw you in to the environment.

Highly, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gets better . . . ., November 3, 2005
Lambdamooyduj (The living room (#17)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
A lot of people are down on this game, but I liken that to when the new Air Jordans used to come out. At first some people would be like "yo, those things look terrible" and then two weeks later they are, as usual, the hottest shoe on the market.

People always bitch and moan about interface changes, moving the health meter from one place to another, not allowing you to reload until the ammo is depleted, etc. If this is what you're mad about, it just goes to show how great the game is.

The good :

More levels - Space, inside the death star, coruscant, etc. The old game had a good variety, the new one just expands on that.

Left some old boards - Hoth is the same, but looks better. I think this is awesome personally. Go play hoth on BF1 and then play it on BF2 and tell me the graphics and presentation aren't MUCH better on this game.

Space combat - Waahh, this is too hard, I get killed too much. that's the idea, it's not easy. This is the best space combat since X wing vs Tie Fighter. GREAT addition

Jedi's - Some people don't like them, I love them. The very first thing I saw on my first spawn in this game was Grievous running at me with 4 light sabers. CRAZY! They aren't omnipotent either, cause I killed Vader on my second board ever played.

More units - Commanders (with chain gun), etc. I don't remember all the names but there are now up to 6-7 units that you can play with.

Changed the Vanguards - By far the cheapest unit in the last game, they aren't as cheap now. mines are a bit easier to see, and the rocket launcher takes a bit longer to reload. good balance on the characters.

More vehicles - The mini walkers, more tanks, better design of the speeder bikes, etc. The vehicles rule in this new version.

Doors open and close - A small addition that is great. On Kamino and in the death star these little touches are extremely good.

More high/low play - You have more opportunities to use the high ground, or to run up and down hills than the last game which seemed to focus on straight combat.

The bad :

You have to earn the right to play with new characters - This means that the better player, who puts in more time, will not only be better overall, but will have a more diverse selection of playable characters. I don't necessarily like this.

Less AI units in online play - I didn't see a single AI last night in about 3 hours of play on 5-6 different servers. I like killing AI's.

HORRIBLE TEXT on honors screen - I have a 32" HDTV and I use top notch equipment and this stuff is still blurry. Unacceptable.

No Bespin - These two were my favorite maps and I understand they aren't on the new game. I might play BF1 just to play down the hallways in bespin.

Anyway, this game is CLEARLY superior the old game in most every way, and anyone who says differently is just complaining to complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars out of this world..... literally!, December 18, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
this game takes the word awesome and multiplies it 100 times! It's awesome!

THE GOOD

1. Space Combat. Now you can fight in space. My personal fav when it comes to factions in space is the Republic ARC-170 fighter, like in episode 3.

2. Story based campaign. Instead of a bunch of missions on different planets, now bit's a bit more like an adventure shooter game. Now you can play as a trooper of the elite 501st division.

3. Jedi/Sith/Heroes now playable! In the first Battlefront, heroes were mainly just extras. Now you can actually play as heroes. Unfortunately, you can't just pick a hero for the entire batlle. Once you gain a certain number of points, you are given the choice of playing as a hero. Certain heroes are assigned to certain planets as well.

4. All new planets. As far as I know, in the first Battlefront, the planets were based off of episodes 4, 5, and 6. And in the Clone Wars era, they were based on the planets of the video game Star Wars Clone Wars. Now all new episode 3 planets have been added to the group. Planets such as Mustafar and Polis Massa have been added to make the gameplay more fun. That is probably the best new addition to the game.

THE BAD

After awhile the game tends to freeze up for a few seconds. The worst part of the bad stuff is that other people who have played this game have said that the game is just a load of c%@&. I don't agree with them, but I do think that they should make a Battlefront 3 so they can fix the hitches they had in this game. A lot of people have also said that they took out Rhen Var and Bespin when they were making the second game. If you didn't know already, Rhen Var and Bespin were planets from the first Battlefront game. But even though they took out two of my personal favorite planets, they did a good job on it. 5 stars at least!

Just a little closing note, you should rent it first, and if you don't like it then you shouldn't buy it. If you do like it, then you should buy it. If you are a parent you should get this game for your kid or kids. It is a game to keep! Happy Holidays!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately The Best Star Wars Game I Have Ever Played..., December 16, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
In the late fall of 2004, a newcomer to the third person shooter genre was released to the public: Star Wars Battlefront! Not much was said about its release, but when it hit the shelves, buyers returned to a galaxy far, far away in a whole new way! It was a hit! And it also received many gaming awards naming it the best-selling Star Wars game of all time. I also didn't know much about the game at first, but when I heard reviews, I didn't even rent it and got it for Christmas. It was my favorite game(if you're interested, search for Star Wars Battlefront and read my review for that one too). But when I found out that a SEQUEL, yes, a sequel was coming out, I yearned for the day it released. I bought it and Episode III the very day they came out at 6:40 a.m. on my way to high school. I have to say, it's flippin' sweet and it has surpassed its elder sibling. Okay, enough of the small talk, let's get to the point, shall we? (SPOILER WARNING)

FORMAT:

This is such a well thought out and put together game! First of all, I like the new LucasArts symbol. The main menu is awesome! You once again hear the thunderous opening of the Imperial March theme(other scores include Star Wars theme, Duel of the Fates, and A Hero Falls). The menu says STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT II at the top of the screen and to the left and right of the screen are two military symbols(Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire; Republic and CIS). In each symbol there are movie clips(including Ep.III) showing the armies in battle. It may just be me, but I think that that it just plain awesome. Graphics and sound are incredible especially if you have a big flat screen TV and surround sound.

SPACE BATTLES:

This was probably the main reason I wanted the game. Dogfighting in space tops it off. New starfighters have been added such as the A-wing, ARC-170, TIE Interceptor, Droid Tri-fighter, CIS Strike Bomber(Grievous' ship), V-wing, and the Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter(Anakin's ship). It'll take some time to get use to the flying controls which are similar to Rogue Squadron's, but don't give up hope. You'll get the hang of it and have loads of fun. What's really fun is sneaking a troop transport inside an enemy capital ship and sabotaging their systems.

HEROES AND VILLIANS:

This feature definitely competes with space battles on the fun meter. During battle, if a certain objective is completed, a hero is offered to play as. Heros are stronger and deadlier than your normal unit. However, they do have a limited amount of time to fight, but the more you kill with them, the time limit increases. My favorites are Darth Maul, General Grievous, Yoda, Boba Fett, Luke, and Vader. There is even a mode you can play on Mos Eisley in which it is only Heroes and Villians. Jedi have awesome powers to use in order to dominate the battlefield including saber throw, force choke, lightning, and force push and pull. They can even run super fast and jump about 5x higher a normal unit can.

BATTLEFIELDS:

In addition to the original maps that have returned, this game has added new ones including Episode III environments such as Coruscant, Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, Polis Massa, Mygeeto, and Felucia. New original trilogy battlefronts have been added as well including Princess Leia's Tantive IV, the Death Star, Dagobah, and Jabba's Palace. Each map has been created so well to actually look like the real thing. I do wish though that some other original maps would have returned such a Rhen Var and Bespin. Oh, well.

OTHER FEATURES:

In Rise of the Empire, you get to live the story of Vader's 501st legion and their daring missions between Ep III and IV which are retold by a retired clone. The new Galactic Conquest mode has been revamped to a even better gameplay as you attempt to dominate the galaxy.

Well, that about sums it up. This game rocks! Don't listen to "MALGOROTH" or whatever the heck his name is. He has no idea what he is talking about! He's just got no respect for a good Star Wars game. Hey, Malgoroth, I'd like to see you create a better game if all you do is wine about a few little mistakes! Anyway, Battlefront II is a must-have for any Star Wars fan and it is definitely worth the $50. The saga may have ended with Revenge of the Sith, but you can relive the adventures in the game which takes you back to a galaxy far, far away...

5.0 out of 5 stars The game of the YEAR!!!, November 29, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I know that most people arent really "in" to star wars but even if you havent seen the movies you will love this game. It has everything that you would want in a videogame; great graphics,awesome gampeplay, exciting levels, and awesome guys killing people with lightsabershow can it get any better.

The first one was Etremely fun and i reccomend you buy it if you dont have enough money to buythe second one or if you wan to get useto the gameplay.

The Improvements of this game from the first one are fantastic You can finally be the Jedi you always envied in the first one and you can fight in space. The gammay get a little tedious to some people but if that ever happens go to instant action and play as a jedi.

You can play Star Wars and fight in all of the enemys aspects of the war and all of the allies aspects. The 501st Legion is a great addition to the first one when you get to play as Darth Vaders most cherished Troopers and instead of doing the same old conques you have certain objectives to achieve in order to win. The 501st legions gameplay is based on one man and all that they had to go through.

It is the must have game of the YEAR!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game if you give it time, November 7, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I must admit that I had mixed feelings the first few times I tried the game. This game grows on you the more you play. Many people have complained about how much change has taken place from BF1 to BF2. I'd have complained more if things had remained unchanged, and accused Pandemic/Lucasarts of releasing a console "expansion pack". Single-player is fun, but the game earns it's keep online.

The good:
*New units to choose from
*Missions seem much more balanced
*New Locations
*More advanced servers for online play

The Bad:
*Space Battles are intially confusing (but become easier and more enjoyable after several attempts)
*"Busy" screen during online multi-player
*WHY IS EVERY LEVEL FOUGHT AT NIGHT!?!?

Question: How do I build another fleet in Galactic Conquest?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Pandemic and Lucasarts, November 4, 2005
This review is from: Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I have had the first Battlefront since the day it came out, and have yet to stop playing it. I waited for the second, and I was not even marginaly dissapointed in what I saw and expierenced during play. This is the third Pandemic/Lucasarts ame I have played, and I must admit, It is freakin awesome. The ground battles were incredibly improved, and the new hero classes and space battles are an amazing improvement. This is undoubtedly a must have.

Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2
Star Wars Battlefront II - PlayStation 2 by LucasArts (PlayStation2)
$54.90