on July 2, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I bought this book as soon as it was announced. I had bought the first four seasons on blu-ray on amazon a few months ago when they were on sale for $25 each so I was excited to have a great resource to go along with them.

THE GOOD: This is a great resource to find out the "true timeline" of the series. There is so much jumping around in this series that re-watching them in the "correct order" helped me to truly appreciate the depth that these episodes had.

The pictures selected are also stunning. I will find myself just flipping through the pages when I need to see some great Star Wars art.

THE NOT SO GOOD: The trivia included is for the most part, NOT mind-blowing. I think that's because I was a big fan of looking at the behind the scenes of each episode on the official website though. I'm sure younger viewers or those not as crazy as I am will appreciate the fun facts more than I did.

The book publishing quality is also not the best. I had to return my first copy because the pages were warped and wouldn't flip correctly. (Imagine stiff pages that are stuck in a convex position.) Now that problem MAY have been caused because it was shipped to me in the summer heat of Arizona, but after replacing it, I found the problem to be not as evident.

IF A FUTURE EDITION IS PLANNED: Please consider updating the index to include the writers and directors of the series. I really enjoyed Katie Lucas' writing and would love to easily access the episodes she wrote. Maybe even some sort of index of actors involved in the show as well... although that might take up too much room. The index as it stands right now is a nice resource for people to find characters but not any REAL people who contributed to the show.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Hardcover
About one week ago, my husband send me an email wondering if it could be possible for me to review a specific title from DK Canada - Star Wars The Clone Wars Episode Guide. He had stumbled on the book and was very interested in having it so we could watch the episodes in order.

Some of you might not know this but some of the episodes that aired during season 2 and 3 were out of order when you follow the story. For example, the first episode a viewer should be watching is the Episode 16 of the 2nd season. I know it's weird but watching the episodes in a specific order would make much more sense in the end when watching the whole series of The Clone Wars. And before the fifth season comes out, my husband wanted to be sure we would watch then in the order it's supposed to be.

This comprehensive guide will detail every episode from the highly popular animated series, The Clone Wars, featuring plot points, key characters, and the spaceships, weapons, and gadgets. Each of the 108 episodes is showcased with a stunning visual spread. For the first time, all of the episodes are presented in story order, making this the definitive chronology of the beloved television show, The Clone Wars! This is definitively the BOOK my husband was waiting for before we pursue our viewing of The Clone Wars.

So when the book arrived guess who jumped on it first to check it out. You guessed it. My husband was very eager to open it to see if it would answer his questions regarding the television series. And it does. The book clearly identify which episode to watch in the order it should be viewed. For each episode, you will also have a little resume of the show, the characters you will find as well as tidbits of information about some of the events/scenes you will view. You will also learned who directed it, who wrote the episode as well as the airdate. Still images of the episode also illustrate the pages.
on August 18, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The quality is great and it is nice to finally get to know the chronological order of the episodes. The only down side to it is that the info on each episode is limited and insufficient. We are talking about 100+ episodes, so remembering each episode and what happened is a bit difficult with the given info in the book
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Hardcover
UPDATE (10/13/13): Not sure why so many people downvoted my review. Regardless, it turns out that the new Clone Wars complete series blu-ray set will include an episode guide. I don't think it's the same as this one, but you might want to wait to see what that guide contains if you're getting the set.

I like the idea of a Clone Wars episode guide, but this isn't the definitive version. A few problems:

First, as most people know, there will be a few more episodes issued as "bonus content". While we're not yet sure how many will be released, it could be as many as 16 episodes (4 story arcs). So, even though this book was released on June 3, 2013, it will become obsolete within a few months. I understand this isn't the author's fault, but buyers should beware. My guess is that a revised and complete version will be released after all episodes are released. One wonders why DK didn't just delay publication for a few months so they could cover all of the episodes.

Second, a lot of the information contained in this book can be found on Wookiepedia or on the DVD/Blu-Ray bonus content. Some people like this type of information collected in one book (and the photos are nice). But I didn't really see much "exclusive" information here.

Finally, why isn't Ahsoka on the cover! She's the star of the entire series. Granted this isn't a deal breaker, but is rather unfortunate.

My advice: wait for an updated version
on July 9, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
It's great how it puts all the episodes in order, so you can go back and watch them the way it all really happened. It is a book worth buying if you are a true Clone Wars fan.
on June 6, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

...there was a time when fans of the "Star Wars" Saga could only speculate and wonder about the Clone Wars, an era that told of the fall of the legendary order of the Jedi Knights and the last days of the Old Republic society they protected. But as the 21st century of Earth's western civilization began that history would at last be told; at first by the Saga's creator, George Lucas, in films that came to be called "The Prequel Trilogy;" in books and comics named the "Expanded Universe," and lastly in an ambitious television series that pushed the boundaries of computer graphic imaging technology and family entertainment. The stories of this stellar spanning TV series are showcased in a full color hardcover book, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars Episode Guide," written by Jason Fry and published by Dorling Kindersley or DK Books.

Within the 232 pages of this book, readers young and old will find synopses of each episode in the 5 season cosmic conflict that commenced at the end of Mr. Lucas' 2002 movie, "Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones," and came to its galaxy changing conclusion in "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith," in 2005. It also includes the 2008 theatrical animated movie, titled simply "The Clone Wars," which offered audiences their first look at the "Star Wars" television series to come. A most notable feature of this book is the order in which each of the TV show's 108 episodes are arranged in the tome. Rather than being featured in the order they were originally broadcast on television's Cartoon Network, the episodes are listed in the order of their story continuity. Thus, the episode "Cat and Mouse," which premiered in Season 2 of the series, is revealed to be the first animated adventure of Anakin Skywalker and his clone troopers. The Season 1 episode, "The Hidden Enemy," comes next in the show's chronology, followed by the theatrical film. As the book explains in what it describes as a "Circular flash," a behind-the-scenes design element scattered throughout the book, "The Clone Wars" big screen movie "was created from what was originally intended to be the first three episodes of the television series." For this reason, the film has the longest guide entry at 4 pages.

Each double paged episode listing features a vertical design of the show's title and the special "moral" text that begins the individual episodes. The 2 page spread showcases a number of images taken from the specific adventure overlaying a larger dramatic illustration. All the images are accompanied with informative text captions about the plot of the episode, "notable characters" and vehicles. At the bottom of the guide is production information about the particular show: episode number and season, airdate, director and writer. The episode entry also includes a quote from a character featured in the episode. This reviewer found the many entries achieved their purpose in providing information about the episodes but also thought the page design was a bit crowded and cluttered. Still, from an editorial standpoint it should be recognized that the book's writer, Mr. Fry, and his editors had 5 seasons of "Star Wars" tales to display witin the pages of a single volume. So, this critic understands the need to do a little cramming from page to page.

Unfortunately as filled with details as "The Episode Guide" is, the book is published in the age of the internet, in which anyone with access to a computer or a smart phone can find the same amount of information about the series if not more by searching online. Another problem with the book are the circumstances surrounding the fate of Anakin and Ahsoka's CGI adventures at the end Season 5. As fans of the TV show know, "Star Wars" creator George Lucas sold the rights to "Star Wars" and his film company, Lucasfilm Limited, to the Walt Disney Company in October 2012. Following that stunning news, March 2013 saw this disappointing announcement from Lucasfilm:

"After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars,' we feel the time has come to wind down the series."

However this press release also included this tantalizing statement:

"While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new 'Clone Wars' story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can find this bonus content."

In the months that followed, more news was revealed about the future of the "Star Wars" Saga: the planning of a new film trilogy that would take place after "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi;" the first film being directed by J.J. Abrams, director of the "Star Trek" films released in 2009 and 2013. This next generation of the Saga is tentatively scheduled to be released in 2015. The production start of a new animated series, "Star Wars Rebels," which would take place between "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" and "Episode IV: A New Hope," with a planned premiere for 2014. Also the release of footage from some of the above-mentioned "Clone Wars story arcs" that continue the exploits of Anakin, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka, and Clone Captain Rex beyond Season 5 of the cancelled TV series.

Like any popular legend, the "Star Wars" mythos continues to live and to grow. In the case of "The Clone Wars" animated series, it too will live on beyond the epic 5 seasons this ambitious book describes. In a "Twitter chat" to promote the book, its author Mr. Fry explained why the announced "Clone Wars story arcs" weren't featured in his book:

"...the book wrapped before announcement. Plus physical books demand long lead times. We barely made it as it is."

It should be noted, too, that as of the June 2013 publication of the book, no concrete information has been revealed as to how or when these 'lost episodes' will be released to an eagerly awaiting audience.

Thus, the book is not a definitive guide of the CGI series. But as a record of the entire broadcast television series, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars Episode Guide" is an invaluable single volume resource into the animated saga that added so much to the tales from "a galaxy far, far away." This reviewer can imagine countless "Star Wars" fans happily watching their favorite episodes of the show with this book lying open on their laps. Myself included.

It is sincerely recommended.
on January 15, 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Finally, an exact timeline of the Clone Wars show. Since half of season 3 jumped back and forth between events from the first two, we were all confused as to what happened before what. But this finally ends that confusion. Two pages for every episode, and 4 pages for the pilot film. Every episode page contains the opening quote, the airdate, the episode and season number, the director and writer(s) of the episode. Every page also summarizes the episode in 3 short paragraphs. It also gives you behind-the-scene facts and even points out small items that you would need a sharp eye in order to recognize. And of course, it comes with an index in the back. Extremely helpful and a must-have for all fans
on December 26, 2013
Format: Hardcover
After reading other reviews and my first glance of the book I thought the book might be a let down in that it would have all the detail a lot of other Star Wars contain. Star Wars Insider #139 has a great overview of the series and it presents the episodes by their creation date. On second glance I saw this guide has each episode on chronological order and I love that. I knew some of the episodes were out of order, now having a reference is great reference because I'm seeing more details than I expected. It's also great for those times you prefer turning pages over keystrokes. I don't have any issues with the construction of the book mentioned in other reviews, though I think the binding could be thicker. I can see pages getting loose if the book is read often by little hands...
on February 4, 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I know everyone says that there isn't a definitive clone wars guide yet, but this is pretty dang close. I am so chomping at the bit to finally see those bonus episodes of what would've been season 6, but this guide explores the events of the clone wars during its full original run. It has gorgeous stills from the show and character bios, and plots of the episodes. Its very well organized with fun facts of what they were thinking while they were making them. For any star wars fan, young or old, this book is a must for your collection!!!! BRING ON THE LOST MISSIONS AND STAR WARS REBELS ;)!!!
on January 12, 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This serves its purpose. I wanted a chronology (before Disney has its say) for the Clone Wars series, and thought this would be good to go through with the kids as well. It met my expectations. I was hoping for it to exceed my expectations.