5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZON'S PICTURE IS MISLEADING (thanks JJAV)
Published on January 9, 2008 by D. Donovan

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but hogs resources and gets repetitive
It may matter that I'm a Star Wars Geek. Actually, I'm a polygeek. I geek out on all sorts of things, but I do like Star Wars quite a bit.

Published on June 10, 2008 by J. Loscheider

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZON'S PICTURE IS MISLEADING (thanks JJAV), January 9, 2008
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
I like Star Wars as well as your average 30-something red-blooded American male, but I am by no means a fanboy; in fact, I have found that most Star Wars related games in the past decade are kind of 'meh'. With that said, I loved the original Empires at War, it was a great game that combined a strategic game of planet conquering with two types of RTS games in which you fought for control of planets on land and in space - it didn't rest on the Star Wars Franchise to please the user, the Star Wars heroes, vehicles, and troops are just an added bonus. User created mods are freely available on the net, and that expands replayability immensely. I pulled it off the shelf the other day to find some of the new mods use the expansion - the original expansion no longer seems to be available from Amazon, but the gold package has both the original and expansion. The original was a great twist on the basic RTS style of game, and one of my favorites, gameplay-wise. Eye candy isn't as good as more modern titles, but gameplay has held up well. IMHO, the original game is still worth the price, and I'm sure the expansion just sweetens the pot.

Note that their cover art for this product is for the original game, not the gold edition; I was waffling on whether to buy it until I saw the customer pic, as it didn't seem the gold edition had the expansion and there is no mention of it in the product description. Per Lucasart's website, the gold edition does indeed have the Forces of Corruption expansion included (and looks like the second picture in the gallery). Thanks to 'JJAV' for the clarifying customer pic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Nice Mods, Great for Star War Fans, December 24, 2007
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
Positive Side: This is a very good value. For two games you get them for only $30. I remember the time it was out, it was $39.99 in Bestbuy for only the non-expansion game. This one is a deal although it is a bit old now. Still, it's very fun. There's more to it in the game. If you search on Google for Game Modifications, you can download a few you like and add features and new units to the game for free. In fact, some game modders go all the way to the extent of modifying the whole game. (Note: Many games are also modded.) Very nice, and very fun in multi-player. The game can run at high settings perfectly on my desktop and notebook PC. (My computer can barely run Crysis on medium settings on my desktop (Intel Quad Core Processor, NVIDIA 512 MB GeForce 8600GT) and almost not playable on my notebook PC except on low settings (2.2 GHz NIVIDA 256 MB 8600m GS)).

Negative Side: The land battles tend to get a bit boring since they are similar to other strategy-based games (but the heroes were fun to play with). Also the computer tends to be relaxed and not attack you unless it's part of the storyline. This is not really a challenge although you can search around for MODs that make it harder. The graphics are not the best but at least they do not stress a computer like Crysis.

Overall, the game is best for its space battles. Go to Youtube to see some of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but hogs resources and gets repetitive, June 10, 2008
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)

So this set of two games appealed greatly to me. The characters, planets, and actions all reflect fairly faithfully the expanded Star Wars universe, which I never got much into but it beats the Star Trek universe (Luke Skywalker never tried to hook up with a green alien with sucker-fingers, for instance).

What the game got most right from an RTS perspective is the comprehensiveness of spacefaring combat. You must defeat orbiting defenses before landing to assault planets. This is something that some games (the aged but respected Imperium Galactica II) got right, and others (the disappointing Master of Orion 3) got dead darned wrong. Every battle is, strangely, centered on a planet, rather than in midspace, and the planetary maps are pretty tiny, but the idea is there. If you want to conquer territory you need a space fleet and a sizeable landing party.

The coolest feature of the games is undoubtedly the "movie mode" where your camera view attempts to follow the action. When it gets it right, it's bloody cool. When it gets wrong (the camera is stuck behind an asteroid or somehow grabs the wrong section of space), it's a little lame.

However, the game gets a bit repetitive. There's unfortunately not a lot of strategy - overwhelming force is really what wins, especially since there are a lot of artificial limits on how many units you can bring on ground battles. I mean, c'mon, if I've got 11 platoons in my landing party, why only let me land 3 at a time? Command and Conquer is often dominated by the tank rush strategy (though the Generals games often sidesteps this through terrain and technology, forcing a technology-oriented solution), but there's no getting around it in Empires at War.

Space combat is entirely 2-D, which is really disappointing. Considering that Homeworld, Hegemonia, Imperium Galactica II and every space-based shooter since 1998 have successfully implemented 3-D battles, there's no excuse for a lack of a Z-axis. True, the ships kinda hover around the Z-axis on their own, but there's no surrounding your enemies in 3-space. You simply mass your forces, use their special abilities (some of which are lame) and hope to destroy them. That's it.

Dragging down the fun are the system resources required. The game says it'll run on an NVidia 3-series chip. I've got a 6-series on a very new dual-core HP 5600+ with 3 GB RAM, which I know means I'm a year behind on technology, but any more than a dozen units and the game DRAGS, especially in ground combat. I fault the game design here - I can run Generals:Zero Hour with 100+ units going at once with no slowdown or frame breakup, but for whatever reason, Empires at War just crawls.

And it has crashed twice to the dreaded BSD while playing. I've run every maintenance check and can find nothing wrong with my system. Maybe there's a patch I'm missing somewhere out there?

In conclusion, this is a fun game for die-hard Star Wars geeks, but RTS fans will want to look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expac:Forces of Corruption is NOT Vista-compatible if you have more than 3GB RAM, December 30, 2009
Capt. John (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
My 9 y/old son played Empire at War at his cousin's house over Christmas and begged me to buy it for him when he got home. We found it on here for $20 but when the local Best Buy had it for the same price we bought it from there instead.

We got home and installed the game and Empire at War ran just fine, but the boy wanted to play the Forces of Corruption, as that was what he'd played at his cousin's house, so we hit Play on the Launcher and...his screen went black, and stayed black.

Fortunately his system didn't actually lock up so we were able to Alt-Tab back to his desktop where we found an Exception! Error box that told us pretty much nothing at all, other than that something had gone wrong.

I found a patch on LucasArts' website but when I attempted to run this patch it claimed FoC was not installed. I even copied the Patch's EXE file into the default FoC folder and ran it, and it still insisted it couldn't find the game. This was with the game installed in the default folder, and yet the official patch from LucasArts themselves claimed the game was not installed.

I reinstalled FoC and tried to run it again, with the same problem. I tried to apply the patch and again saw "FoC is not installed". We installed both the game & the xpac on my PC and they ran just fine, but then I have XP, so while my boy played on my PC I spent most of the evening on his PC looking online for a fix.

I discovered that not only was I NOT the only person with this problem, but it was a very well known problem with trying to play FoC on a Vista system with more than 3GB of RAM. I found various workarounds, none of which worked for us, until I found a fix that led to me going into the MSConfig file and telling Vista to only load 3 of 4GB of RAM. I rebooted my son's PC, fired up FoC, and whadda ya know! It worked!

4GB of RAM is practically the industry standard for a low end system today, so it's ridiculous that I have to either remove or disable 25% of my son's RAM in order to get this game running. It's even more ridiculous that the original game runs just fine when Vista has 4GB of RAM loaded, but the expansion? It refuses to run under Vista with more than 3GB of RAM.

My son loves this game, but if you have Vista and more than 3GB of RAM in your system, be prepared for some trouble shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best star wars games ever!, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
I've always loved the empire at wars because of their uncanny knowledge of the films and expanded universe. It is wonderful being able to control your troops, strategically attack. The best part is it's relatively easy to win on any level of play, but still feel like you are being challenged! I would Strongly recommend this to anyone who likes star wars, and strategy games. They truly are two of the best star wars games ever!.. of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Star Wars game.., September 30, 2008
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
Now this is a fun game for anyone who has ever wanted to command a fleet of star destroyers... Like me. Fun game, build up your forces for ground and space combat. Concur planets and set fleets to protect them, command legendary characters such as Luke, wedge, mon mothma, Vader, han solo, boba fett..

Absolutely worth a play.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME game, nice collection, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
One of the greatest Star Wars games (along with Knights of the Old Republic). This is a great game, with the great expansion. Windows 7/8 users, I got both games working on a high performance gaming system with no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack Review, December 2, 2012
C. Miller (Three Springs, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
Absolute fantastic game. I was a bit sketchy about getting this but did on a whim simply because I am a Star Wars fan. It is very well done and captures the Star Wars universe fantastically whether it be the space battles or the planetary battles. There are a few quirks in that the tutorial is so quick, and it explains so much so quick that you are left a bit overwhelmed as to what to do when you are put out on your own. It can be very confusing at first if you do not know what to do, how to do it and when to do it. With time however it pretty much comes second nature and you can get going forward as far as galactic conquest whether you choose to play as the Empire or as the Rebellion. I recommend it to those that are experienced with RTS games and are fans of the Star Wars universe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Star Wars, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
Great Star Wars fun at a great price. It's like getting to play with all my Star Wars figures and ships in epic battles in all the familiar settings. For Windows 7 64 bit with more than 2 gigs of ram, make sure you go to the Lucasarts website and download the patch for Corruption or it won't play out of the box. There may also be no multi player as mine will not connect, but there are enough mods, maps and missions that it really made no difference to me. Building your own Death Star and blowing up Naboo is sure to bring pure joy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy successor to Rebellion, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack (DVD-ROM)
When Star Wars Rebellion came out, I was literally addicted to it. I've been waiting for years for the next Star Wars, space combat included, RTS, so I was pretty excited for EaW. And deservedly so, it's a great game!
The game definitely fits Star Wars canon better than Rebellion ever did. Perhaps most notable in this area are the general strengths of ships. Everyone who has ever read a SW novel know that an Imperial Star Destroyer showing up in orbit is cause for concern among all but the most heavily fortified worlds, and a Super Star Destroyer can wipe out fleets, yet in Rebellion I distinctly remember using SSDs as scout ships and ISDs as cannon fodder. Not here; one ISD can conquer several worlds if the the enemy doesn't respond to the threat.
Another dramatic improvement is equality without similarity. Pretty much every SW game has had an inherent in-game bias (almost exlusively in favor of the Rebels), while the few that didn't just had no difference at all. The different sides do operate differently, even more so than in Rebellion, but it's very evenly balanced, which is a refreshing change.
One area that is very much against canon is that you can only hype to a neighboring system. In other words, if you want to go from one end of the galaxy to the other, you have to either control enough planets to have route, or conquer them; you cannot just hype any fleet to any planet you want. While this is against canon, it's MUCH better for the strategy element. You can't just build one massive fleet and move wherever it's needed; your forces must be thoughtfully and strategically deployed. It also allows you to build a true base of operations, hardpoints that can impede an enemy assault. The tradeoff of a bit of canon for a significantly upgraded strategic component is definitely in the game's favor.
Perhaps the one drawback is the lack of anything beyond a pure military aspect. The economic aspect is minimal at best. The only resource-gathering are credits paid to you by the systems you control. While having to form a massively complex economy, such as having ten resources necessary to build a particular unit and more to make it function, would too much, this falls on the simple end. Of course, if you're just looking for a military simulator, this is a good thing, not a bad thing. Also there is no loyalty component. In Rebellion, you could bring systems in with diplomacy, and system disloyalty could result in uprisings or easy enemy invasion. There is no such aspect here. In particular, I've noticed this allows you to utterly abuse the Death Star. In Rebellion, blowing up a system, even an enemy one, adversely affected system loyalty to you across the galaxy. In EaW, you can just zap any system you want with no adverse effect.
As with any game, it's not perfect, but if you liked Rebellion, you'll love this.

ARRAY(0xa5975300)

Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack
Star Wars Empire At War Gold Pack by LucasArts (Windows, Windows Vista / XP)
$19.99 $12.10