5.0 out of 5 stars Get rid of all your other SW junk!, April 14, 2000
This review is from: Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Portfolio (Hardcover)
If you think about it, a Star Wars fan has the option to buy Star Wars posters, toys, games, Dorito prizes and try to amass their own empire of collection. But think about it even more...regardless of how big of a Star Wars fan you are sooner or later you will realize that all those Star Wars paraphernalia are junk having the tendency to compile up. If you really want to get your hands on quality then you only need to look for a few places. As a die-hard SW fan, you should not be without the films themselves, the music, and most of all the pre-production artwork...where the saga really begins. The product is wonderful. Immediately after getting the product, I tore down all my other Star Wars stuff, like a puzzle I finished within a grueling twenty hours, old Phantom Menace posters, old Dorito stuff. I tore it all down. I was freed. I figured the product that I got was superb and deserved its chance on my wall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent presentation, content slightly disappointing, October 30, 1999
I was looking forward to this collection of production art more than any other piece of Star Wars paraphernalia accompanying the new film. I have been collecting the production art produced by Ralph McQuarrie for the first three films since 1977, and have come to appreciate a certain degree of romance conveyed in the images. In this case, I found that generally the artwork was strangely lifeless. Watching the film, I found the queen, her ship, and young Mr. Maul to be the most striking and evocactive images in the film, however, the production art seems to focus more heavily on the Gungan design and environments. I was particularly expecting to see a known Chiang painting of the Queen's Starship on Tatooine. I found the contrast of the highly polished ship against the sand artistically evocative. This image was not included in this collection. Having said that, I enjoyed the Coruscant print very much, and it is matted and framed above my computer as I type this. The box, too, is an excellent stroke of design genius, incorporating the Flash Gordon-esque spirit of the Queen's Starship.
Although I am glad I bought this set, I felt it was important to those considering a purchase to illustrate that it is not as fulfilling as, say, the original Star Wars portfolio. I hope this is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply great, June 15, 2000
this things is nice especially at this price its definetly one of my favorite star wars related items. i must say i did not enjoy the movie as much as i would have liked, however i do love star wars in general. this collection of pre-production sketches are really nice to look at. they all come printed on high quality stock and coated with a nice glossy finish. they people who put this toegther really took time rather than just throwing a episode one logo on it like most companies did. this is truly a great gift for the star wars enthusiast. lastly the packaging is excellent and comes in a nice metal tin which completes the entire package and makes this a great collectible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! At LEAST the equal of McQuarrie., December 15, 1999
By A Customer
Chiang's work is simply superb. Lucas was lucky to find this guy - he more than holds his own when compared to McQuarrie and Johnston. I'd love to see an animated film done in Chiang's style - I would actually prefer it to the computer-generated "photorealism" that Hollywood is so into these days. In any case, I highly recommend this collection of lithographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 3, 1999
By A Customer
The folks from Chronicle Books were kind enough to let me thumb through this at the Denver Celebration convention. The slides and artwork are fantastic, worth the price and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Artwork of Star Wars Available, December 9, 2001
I got this over a year ago and found the artwork stunning.
Thinking of printing with your own printer? Chances are that even if you can find some Star Wars artwork on the Internet, the printouts won't last. For example, using color ink-jets and even on special paper... after one year, the color degrades...
Today, after a year, the illustrations still look that way and there is no fading of colors at all. This is truly a collectable.
This one is worth keeping if you love Star Wars artwork and the pricing at Amazon is simply a "steal".

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome art!, December 14, 1999
Jim Fong (Foster City, CA) - See all my reviews
I was very impressd with the amazing paintings. Superb craftsmanship! I recommend it to people of all ages, especially design professionals as well as students. I especially love the quality of the reproductions. I hope that with this release, Lucasfilm will also re-release the McQuarrie paintings with quality printing and color matching.
If I were an alien, I would say, "4 thumbs up! " for Mr. Chiang's portfolio. I also recommend his "Art Of" book as well. I urge everyone to buy it. Too often, my friends ask me where they can buy the Joe Johnston sketchbooks. They should have bought them when they were in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW.. This is really worth the price. A great collectible!, September 28, 1999
I really was not sure what this was all about but I ama big fan of Star Wars and also deeply involved with the arts. Not the art of Star Wars but I do a lot of illustrative work as well as graphic design and well its always nice to see a little glimpse back into the design phase. Pretty much where all the story begins. This piece offers you a quick glimpse thru nice drawings of what the movie was trying to capture. And well the tin the drawings come in is impressive... I was very satisfied. For the price at Amazon it is a good buy...

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Artwork for Collectors, June 14, 2001
If you are a Star Wars artwork collector, you will like this collection of 20 prints. The color reproduction is stunning and the type of prints resembles top-notch dye-sublimation printouts. If you are looking for Star Wars artwork for framing, this is it! The price offered at Amazon is a good deal. Grab it before it goes "Out of Print" !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Episode I the Phantom Menace : 20 Lithographic, May 23, 2002
Star Wars Episode I the Phantom Menace : 20 Lithographic was
mint and mail fast.
Making this good deal.
thanks

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Portfolio
Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Portfolio by Doug Chiang (Hardcover - September 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $14.99