4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, mediocre release
After expanded releases of all the other three Star Wars movies, it was expected that someone would release an expanded edition of The Phantom Menace soundrack. Well, it finally happened, and of course it is worth the price tag. John Williams' 120+ minutes of masterly music is wonderful. The quality is great and the packaging is phenomenal.
On the down side, there...
Published on November 15, 2000 by naneric

2.0 out of 5 stars A promising item, but disappointing.
Published on September 15, 2008 by N. Amideo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, mediocre release, November 15, 2000
"naneric" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - The Ultimate Edition (Audio CD)
On the down side, there are a few things that make this only a four-star buy. Unlike its predecessors, this two-disc set is not made from the original master tapes. It is simply taken directly from the film, an isolated music track if you will. Although it is nice since it is in true chronological order, many of the tracks run into each other, and they are cut up to fit the film. For instance, in the end of the film the music changes as the viewpoint goes from the space battle to the ground battle. This carries directly to the soundtrack, so most of the end songs are cut up between numerous tracks without any fade ins or fade outs.
This aside, the sheer wealth of new music and fine packaging are reasons to buy this soundtrack. Notable in the new music is the song where Anakin leaves his mother (track 1 on disc 2). Also notable are some annoying and unecessary "extra" tracks (skip them).
Along with the two-cds it comes with a long booklet that has many pictures from the film (it does not have any music commentary like the previous ones unfourtunatly). Although it would have been nicer if this release was more like the previous expanded releases, the new music makes it worth the buy. To get the true experience, I would recommend buying both this and the original Phantom Menace soundtrack release though.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the single CD, August 28, 2001
I saw the Phantom Menace and was somewhat underwhelmed. Sure, the first time through, the visuals were somewhat awesome, but - well, this isn't a rant about the movie, it's a rave about the soundtrack. Once again, John Williams manages to completely outshine all other composers, and Star Wars would be unwatchable if anyone else were handed the reigns to the usually fantastic series. The single CD version of this soundtrack was disappointing, however, as it almost completely left out the darker, Sith oriented tracks (with the exception of the fantastic "Duel of the Fates"). The single CD version also had some tracks from radically different parts of the movie mixed together into a single one. Though the mixes were seamless (I listened to that CD for 2 weeks before the movie was released and never knew until then), it bugged me that they would do something like that. Now, however, such wrongs have been righted. The entire movie plays through its music - the most powerful and recognizable part of the saga - uncensored, unabridged, and unremixed. Well, unremixed except for some well done extras thrown in at the end. Okay, final say? Bravo Mr. Williams! (And if you can ever see him in concert, do so. It was the evening of a lifetime!)

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Soundtracks You'll Ever See!, March 18, 2003
Raine (United States) - See all my reviews
I own all the other Star Wars soundtracks, and this is one of my favorites! When I listen to a soundtrack I want to find the songs from the movie (that made me by the soundtrack in the first place) and listen to them, without other sounds in the way. This is just what I wanted! It has every track from the movie, exactly as it was played, in order!
The soundtrack starts out with the "Fox Fanfare" followed by the "Star Wars Main Title". You can also see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon fighting there way through the droid control ship during the next few tracks. The song "Queen Amidala Warns the Federation" is an intresting track, because the second part of it, can barely be heard in the film. It is one of many of the amazing background songs that comes to life on these cd's. Other's of this nature include "Inside the Bubble City", "Street Band of Mos Espa", "Street Singer" and "The Senate". The second cd starts when the characters are leaving Tatooine. And continues through Coruscant and back to Naboo for the finale. It include's every track from the epic end battle, including many tracks featuring "Duel of the Fates". Plus tracks such as the "Droid Invasion" theme, "Anakin's Theme" and the Star Wars main theme play through both cds. All of the music makes you feel like your in the movie. The music is on two cd's and offer you over two hours of music! It is a must have for Star Wars fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, but what about the same treatment for AOTC?, January 25, 2004
If you have a soft spot in your heart for the music from the overly-maligned Episode I, this is the CD set you want. I've owned both CDs, but this terrific set blows the other out of the water. It makes me wish more record companies put out these kinds of sets.
That said, we've got the definitive soundtracks for Episodes I, IV, V and VI. So where's Episode II? Come on, Sony!

2.0 out of 5 stars A promising item, but disappointing., September 15, 2008
A good, decent score by John Williams. Some of his recent work isn't quite as great as his older stuff; classics like Star Wars, Jaws, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. But, this is still a great soundtrack, nonetheless. The Duel of the Fates is worth it alone. What I like most is that every single piece of music from the film is here. I feel that I'm often annoyed with other soundtracks that omit random tracks for whatever reason. Not the case here. It's all there.

Buyer beware, however, as this product is flawed. It took me two purchases and a little research to discover that every unit of this product has a gliche where discs skip. So, know that it's not just your particular item or the CD player. I'm not really sure why they would put a defected product on store shelves, and for a high price. So, if you're not too picky about having the soundtrack in its entirety, you might be better off getting the original edition instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music great -- packaging terrible, August 4, 2001
This 2 CD set compiles all music from The Phantom Menance, as well as a couple of cuts that were cut from the film and the sound from the (I think) is the music video.
John Williams' effort to create a soundtrack that was both new and familiar was splendid. Listening to the music transports me to the film, allowing me to watch it with my mind's eye. Also, I'm able to fully appreicate the music -- something that I cannot do while watching the movie, with the sound and dialogue sometimes drowning out Mr. Williams' music.
I do quibble with the packaging. I suppose I'm spoiled, from all the years of collecting record albumns, with their liner notes and such. The packaging for this set consists of a jewel case for the actual CDs, that is wrapped in side of an attached booklet. Unlike the previous Star Wars CDs, with the booklets inside of the case, this one is left hanging (literally!). It can be easily torn away from the rest of the case. Also, while the pictures in the booklet were pretty, I prefer liner notes, with commentary from the artists' involed, discussing the creative workings of the piece as well as insights into the composition as a whole.
For purists and collectors, this is a must -- others would probably by happy with the 1 CD 1999 release.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Soundtracks on the Market, June 29, 2001
A Kid's Review
I personally found this soundtrack to be my favorite out of the few that I have. I am one of those rare kids that enjoys the beautiful orchestrations that modern movie composers are able to put together. This score was able to tie the events of the movie together extremely well, and just by listening you can guess the events that correspond with the different crescendos and decrescendos that are fitted into each piece. The main theme of this score, that every soundtrack has which the rest of the score revolves around, happens to be Anikan's Theme and I find it to be a very relaxing and beautifully composed piece. This basically made the rest of the tracks very appealing to me so I have enjoyed listening to this album again and again. Even though it is a bit expensive, it is worth the money in the end as it offered me hours of ingenius melodies and beautiful harmonies. Also, anything that the London Symphony Orchestra does has got to turn out well. I would reccomend this title to any Star Wars fan or collector or anybody who appreciates the wonders that a composer such as John Williams can arrange for a movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE READ THIS, July 7, 2009
As another reviewer stated this release has several glitched spots on the disc where it suddenly emits a LOUD pink noise. Bugged me so bad the first time I purchased the CD again.... just to discover it's a faulty recording.

The music is so good!!! But the glitching (at least 12 different places) is annoying enough to make it not enjoyable. It seems they didn't always sell these flawed discs? Can't imagine them being this way since the release 9 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Williams' Score For Phantom Menace Is Grand!, July 9, 2003
Although the 1999 single disc CD recording of music from The Phantom Menace was fairly adequate, for listeners spoiled by the Special Edition soundtracks it was a disappointment. Yes, the music is good, but there is a certain wrongness to the album's arrangements...like its 1977 predecesor, the 1999 edition takes cues from different scenes and "cuts-and-pastes" them to make nice yet inaccurate arrangements. For instance, Track 1 on the single CD version is called Star Wars (Main Theme) AND The Arrival at Tatooine. The so-called "Arrival at Tatooine" is really heard when the Queen's starship lands on the Coruscant landing platform.
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your level of cynicism regarding Star Wars and merchandising practices), Sony Classical released Star Wars Episode I: The Ultimate Edition. Beautifully presented in two CDs, this recording is the definitive Phantom Menace. From the Alfred Newman 20th Century Fox Fanfare to the End Credits, every note John Williams composed for the first prequel film is there.
The two discs present the music in sequence, with each cue in its proper place in the movie. As always, the London Symphony Orchestra (joined by the London Voices and The New London Children's Choir) plays Williams' score with its usual top-notch level of performance. And Williams once again manages to prove the malleability of the Star Wars scores.
For here there are none of the familiar themes for Princess Leia or Han Solo, and Darth Vader's Theme (which made the scores for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi so memorable) is only hinted at. Williams, however, still has the themes for the Force, Darth Sidious/Palpatine, and Yoda to play with; these he melds with new themes for Qui-Gon, Jar Jar Binks, and Anakin Skywalker.
Of the new themes, two are significant. The first, of course, is Anakin's Theme. It reflects the innocence and goodness of the slave-turned-into-hero, but it has hints of the Imperial March, too, particularly at the coda of the End Credits (where this theme is heard in its entirety). The other new theme worth noting is the now-famous Duel of the Fates, Episode I's equivalent of the Imperial March.
Because this 2-CD set has a total playing time of two hours, some casual listeners may want to stick to the 1999 version instead. Serious Williams collectors will probably enjoy this album more. I do have one quibble: the packaging is nice and the booklet with stills from Episode I is okay....but no liner notes?

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the soundtrack, but not the noises, October 6, 2009
Mikael (United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this set a long time ago and loved it, but it was stolen. Then I found it for a great deal here on Amazon so I bought it. I some of the tracks still on my computer, but wanted the complete set once again. I actually didn't have a lot of time to listen to it until recently and I also noticed the same "pink" noise that another reviewer mentioned. It only happens a dozen times or so like he mentioned, but it is really annoying when it happens. Sad to think that probably a bunch of these discs are like this.