5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting preview of the next Star Wars storyline
Published on June 2, 2009 by GB Banks (publisher, author)

I was somewhat let down by this brief story. I enjoy all 6 Star Wars movies, though this would be my first entrance to the Star Wars universe outside of those movies. Perhaps because of that, I was a bit lost at times.

Published on June 12, 2009 by ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting preview of the next Star Wars storyline, June 2, 2009
This review is from: Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1: Precipice (Kindle Edition)
It's been a long time since I've read a Star Wars novel, although I am a big fan of the franchise in general. I haven't read any of the books that tell the stories following the time period of the movies, although I've certainly read about those books and thought they sounded interesting. After reading "Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1: Precipice", which takes inside the people of the Sith and gives fascinating insight into things from their perspective, I'm now eager to read more.

The author does an excellent job of taking the reader inside the Sith mind, and with a very short tale he manages to weave an extremely compelling tale about the beginnings of the Lost Tribe of the Sith. It's clear that the sole purpose of this freebie is to stir up interest and demand for the upcoming book, "Omen (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, Book 2)". For me at least, it worked. Although short, this is a story definitely worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rooting for the "Good" Badguys, June 1, 2009
As a pr move to get people excited about omen, this wins. As a stand alone short story in the star wars universe, this wins.

It's also a rare opportunity to engage the sith as actual characters with depth and dynamic development. John Jackson Miller has matured as an author and left us with something deserving 5 stars.

At times the storytelling is briefly muddled but at it's core this is a great story, definitely worth checking out and I already find myself looking forward to lost tribe #2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inside Look at Star Wars Bad Guys, November 20, 2010
Joe Chiappetta (North Riverside, IL) - See all my reviews
I read this book (and the whole series) with my nine-year-old son after finishing my own sci-fi eBook and we had a hard time putting it down. When good writing appeals to a wide range of ages, then it's often viewed as great writing. This book delivers just that.

Lost Tribe of the Sith as a four-part series for Kindle is an excellent character study on the lifestyles of the Sith and their immersion into a foreign world. Moreover, it's filled with adventure and intrigue as you might expect from a Star Wars novel. What I really like about the novel is that, while there is a focus on the bad guys (the Sith), the plot doesn't get overly dark. The treatment of the series from book 1 to 4 is clever and balanced. By the end of the story, there are even Sith characters that I frequently mistake for guys guys because they are so likable.

Note that there is also a fifth part out to this series, and it is equally good with gripping new plot elements. However, I see part five as starting a new story arc 1000 years later. So I digest parts 1-4 as a complete story, and part 5 as a related, yet compelling new story being introduced, with a cliffhanger ending.
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1: Precipice
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #2: Skyborn
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #3: Paragon
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #4: Savior
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #5: Purgatory

As a sci-fi fan, sci-fi dad, and sci-fi author, I was thoroughly impressed and entertained.
Star Chosen: A Science Fiction Space Opera for the Whole Family

2.0 out of 5 stars Books assumes knowledge and descriptions of actions leave something to be desired, June 12, 2009
ryan (Watertown, CT, United States) - See all my reviews

I understand that the book is a short story, but I felt that it assumed a greater than average knowledge of the SW universe. It needed more of a description of the characters than was present. Telling me that a character is a Houk, but not telling me more than that is not helpful. Had I known what a Houk was, perhaps it would make sense. Same thing with the Massassi (sp?).

I am in the process of reading several series of books which involve reuse of the the same characters, fictional races, and fictional planets. A core feature of these which I felt was lacking here is some backstory of the plot element being discussed. There is an art to bringing a new reader up-to-speed without boring those familiar with the subject matter. Perhaps the author here dispensed with the back-story in the interests of space, but to the detriment of the story.

In addition, the author is not as descriptive as necessary at times. At one point in the story, two characters appear to be talking alone (Yaru and Devore), until a third character is addressed (Seelah), however there was no mention of the character entering the room. In another area, Yaru utilizes the Force to affect a mechanism on the outside of the ship after Devore comments that going out there would be dangerous. I would guess that Devore would realize that using the Force was a possibility. Also, I felt that the author was not descriptive enough the the Force was actually being applied. Lastly, the scene between Yaru and Devore felt disjointed.

With a setting as rich as the Star Wars universe, I felt that more attention should have been paid to the back-story of the Sith, races, etc... with less of a play-by-play feel to the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad for a free book, June 10, 2010
These e-books are good for free books, but something about the way they are written I find them hard to follow at times. Overall though, if you're reading the current Fate of the Jedi story line it's a good tie in that fills in some of the back story of the Sith.

4.0 out of 5 stars Add on, June 11, 2009
Was a good book for free. Would have liked to see what happened in between the 2 years that were skipped though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice, April 18, 2010
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice, by John Jackson Miller

As I've said before, normally I don't care for short stories. But I make exceptions sometimes, and how could I pass up a Star Wars short story?

"Precipice" is an accompaniment to the new Star Wars series Fate of the Jedi, and tells how the missing Sith tribe landed on Kesh. The short story series also provides a few clues for Paul S. Kemp's "Star Wars: Crosscurrent."

Omen, a Sith ship full of Lignan crystals crashes onto the planet Kesh. The survivors of the crash are stranded on the planet, with no way to contact their Sith masters or fly off Kesh.

"Precipice" has a Star Wars feel, and I liked the main character, Yaru Korsin. He's a captain in the vein of Han Solo: cocky, sarcastic, self-assured. But he also has the ability to use the Force. And while a Sith, he is disgusted when some of the survivors start fighting amongst themselves, as the dark Force users are wont to do.

And that's about where "Precipice" finishes. It's a pretty good story, and I'm looking forward to reading the others in the series.

3/5.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I had expected., November 2, 2009
This is the first Star Wars novel I've read since the wonderfully adapted novelization of Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover. Sadly, Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice does not inspire me to continue reading expanded universe novels. While many readers find fault with the brief length of this novel, I found it to be the book's only saving grace (other than its price). Surprisingly, the characters in this novel are quite lackluster and are a far cry from the variety of Sith Lords we're accustomed to. Whereas the Sith Lords of the Star Wars films and previous EU books tend to be frightening figures, the 'humanized' Sith Lords in "Precipice" are poor ambassadors of the Dark Side of the Force.

Perhaps this series will improve with successive books. But Precipice fails to deliver the kind of intriguing space opera that I love about Star Wars. Fortunately, Fate of the Jedi: Omen of which Precipice is only a prequel, appears to be a far more interesting read. As much as it pains me to say it, I would have a very difficult time recommending this book to anyone except the most die-hard Star Wars fan. Maybe John Jackson Miller will deliver the goods on the next go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious Lacking, December 21, 2009
This short story took me about 15 minutes to finish and left me wishing i had those 15 minutes back. The Sith are the dark side of the force but there was nothing dark about this story, it is hinted that the characters do have the force but do not indicate why they may be considered the bad guys. It also has a cliff hanger and than starts up again 2 years later without filling in any of the blanks. I am sure this was meant to be a teaser and the complete book will go into greater detail but even for a free kindle book i felt like i was ripped off.

5.0 out of 5 stars More for the fans who know the stories, January 18, 2011
The story is a quick read, just a few chapters that I knocked out in an hour and a half while working out. The story is simple, easy to follow and brings a different more "human" approach to the Sith. The main thing though is you need to have an understanding of the background stories (though most Star Wars stories are like that now) from the Tales of the Jedi comic series, specifically Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire. It makes a lot of references to Naga Sadow and what he is trying to accomplish, as it takes place during that time. So for those who haven't read those, hit Wookiepedia (best name ever) and look up the story of Naga Sadow and those two comics.

Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1: Precipice