5.0 out of 5 stars Folding Frenzy!
It's a folding frenzy in my house!!

Published 24 months ago by Alison's

1.0 out of 5 stars Too hard for beginners....
My son is a huge fan of Tom Angleberger's Origami Star Wars books, and he asked for this book for Christmas. While searching for a lost iPod, I came across the book with his attempt to make the Yoda origami. Unfortunately, I assumed that he hadn't suceeded because he hadn't read the directions or tried hard enough. Sounds pretty parental, right?

Anyway, in...
Published 18 months ago by BookMom

5.0 out of 5 stars Folding Frenzy!, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Star Wars Origami: 36 Amazing Paper-folding Projects from a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... (Paperback)
It's a folding frenzy in my house!!

My two young Jedis are already pros at folding an Origami Yoda and Origami Vader, thanks to Tom Angleberger's books, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda and Darth Paper Strikes Back. In fact there is a foreward by Tom Angelberger in which refers to himself as a Padawan, and Chris Alexander as the Jedi Master of Star Wars Origami.

As the Master will probably tell you, in order to make one of the 36 - yes, 36 - Star Wars origami figures in the book, you need to go over some of the basics. My young Jedis thought they could skip over this training chapter and jump right into folding the Millenium Falcon. Ten minutes later two very frustrated boys came up to me begging for my help. It takes more than the force to make a good paper light saber!

A fun book for the whole family, there are different levels of difficulty in the book. In the Index, there is a list of project separated by level of difficulty - starting with Han Solo, moving to Chewbacca, and eventually working toward a Naboo Starfighter.

One thing that makes STAR WARS ORIGAMI so special - aside from the obvious Star Wars connection - is the paper. In the back of the book, there are specially designed paper to use along with each folding project. There are two sheets of paper to go with each project. See the Boba Fetts up there? If they were folded with just white paper they would still be neat, no doubt, but how cool are they with their special paper?? Awesome, right?

Needless to say, we love this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun projects, September 11, 2012
I went to see Chris Alexander at the Star Wars Origami panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, where he taught us a couple of origami projects from "Star Wars Origami." We made Boba Fett and a lightsaber. When I bought the book, I searched for the most difficult project and made Jabba the Hutt first. It wasn't bad. Then, I tried the X-Wing, which was one level down in difficulty, but I got a little lost and gave up on it.

Each project comes with a synopsis of the character, droid, or ship we are making, in case we are unfamiliar with its role in the saga. Many are well-known, like Princess Leia and the X-Wing, but some are lesser characters, like Taun We, or the Armored Assault Tank. Inserted between the pages every now and again are trivia pages to test your Jedi prowess. Do you know how many starships survived the battle of Yavin?

The projects are indexed by difficulty level. Many of them come with two pieces of printed origami paper, in case we want to repeat it. I would like it if the origami paper was labeled with the project name. I don't like searching and it's not always obvious.

Also, the origami paper has an arrow on the back of each page. I'm not sure how that is supposed to be oriented when we start working. I just fold and hope it's right. Luckily, it was good when I did Jabba the Hutt.

My son is eleven and he thought this book was too difficult. The children were frustrated at the panel we attended and so were many of the adult attendants. My husband wouldn't even try. He thought it was hard, and the lightsaber (the one we were being taught) is one of the easiest projects. I would say the book is definitely geared more for adults. I can get most of the folds, but the sink fold is extremely difficult for me to do properly, even though I understand what needs to be done (hard to explain here, but the fold is inverted).

For the adult Star Wars fan, this is a wonderful book.

____________

UPDATE 2/3/13: Just to clarify my rating of this book as it was brought to my attention that it appears I'm complaining a lot about this book. It was my intention to alert the buyer that this is not easy for children to do. It is better for an adult or teen, one who is good at following visual instructions. I am able to do most of the projects that I attempt; and I did try to do the most difficult ones first, just to see how challenging that can be. It is a great book, if you know what you are getting into.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too hard for beginners...., February 2, 2013

Anyway, in my superior Mom moment, I insisted that the poor kid read the instructions thoroughly and then try one of the easiest origami projects, the Sandcrawler. God Bless Him, he tried to tell me that it was too hard, but did I listen? Of course not! After watching him struggle unsuccessfully, my superiority started to crumble and a wave of compassion came over me. I decided to help the poor kid.

After about 10 minutes of helping and failing, I told him to work on his homework and tried to muddle through on my own. I thought that if I could figure it out, then I could go back and help him learn how to succeed. After a half and hour, I gave up.

I recommend this book only to those who already have a solid understanding of basic and intermediate origami folds. The two-dimensional instructions just don't work for beginners. Perhaps if I had spent some time watching the techniques on youtube.com, I might've figured it out, but when I bought the book, I wanted him to be able to do it himself without having to take a course at MIT first.

Editorially speaking, the book needs organizational help. If the projects vary in difficulty, please arrange them in the book from easiest to hardest. In addition, it was even hard to figure out which paper to use. There are no identifying marks on the origami paper linking it to the project itself.

When I started writing this review, I gave the book three stars. While typing, the flood of frustrating feelings came back. I am going to drop it to a one star review especially considering that we really have no use for the book whatsoever.

After writing this review, my son and I tried the Klutz Origami Star Wars book. Wow! What a difference. The step by step, color-coded directions are fantastic. We easily completed the Naboo Starfighter in 10 minutes. I highly recommend the Klutz version!
Star Wars Folded Flyers: Make 30 Paper Starfighters (Klutz)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but the projects might drive you nuts, November 27, 2013
My son loves origami AND Star Wars with an unholy passion, so when we got him this book he was thrilled. The graphics are amazing, but the projects are just too hard, even for a kid who has gone to "origami summer camp" (I kid you not). Sooo, I'd say that it's great, but only if the parent is also a jedi-master origami folder, because it's tricky, tricky stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Origami, September 26, 2012
My son loves to read the "Origami Yoda" books by Tom Angleberger (which is a great book for boys over eight by-the-way). So when I saw there was a Star Wars Origami book, I jumped in and ordered it. It is really fun and both my boys enjoy it. I'm buying a copy for my seven-year-old nephew for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for Tween, September 22, 2012
This was a gift for my 13 year old niece who is just discovering Star Wars and loves origami, so this was a perfect gift. The origami is a bit challenging, which is good. It includes special origami paper, so when folding the tie-fighter it has all the details on the paper. It has over 250 pages, so it is quite impressive. I recommend this book to all the Star Wars, Origami fans out there. Love it you will.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Difficult and Directions Aren't Clear, December 29, 2012
Book is good in theory as it contains many of the Star Wars characters and ships along with origami paper in the back of the book. The problem is that the projects are too difficult for children ages 9 and up along with some adults. Most of the projects have confusing directions and do not follow a logical pattern. I would not recommend this for anyone other than someone who is skilled at origami!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for ages 5-18....clearly labeled as appropriate for ages 9 and up., November 15, 2013
Just received this product in the mail. I had bought this for a five year old and the book CLEARLY states it is appropriate for age 9 and up despite being advertised on Amazon as age 5 and up. Might be putting this away for four years until it is not simply a frustration for my five year old.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make Star Wars characters without character paper?, December 10, 2013
Maybe it's my fault. Maybe the page actually said there was no paper included and I just dreamed up the idea that there would be special paper for origami. That being said, I was a little disappointed with this book. Now I'm not saying the book itself is that horrible, I really can't crack it open until my oldest son receives it in 2 weeks, so just by flipping through it, it seems alright. The part that bothered me is that it shows special yoda and Darth Vader and R2D2 folded projects on the cover of the item which leads you to believe that SOME kind of special paper was included, atleast to make the shapes on the cover. But alas, there is none. If you knew where to get such paper, I guess it wouldn't be a big bummer, but as of right now, I' trying to figure out how our oldest will use the book with out getting frustrated that it doesn't end up like the picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars An elegant art from a more enlightened age..., February 19, 2013
STAR WARS Origami is a lovely, official-looking book, with glossy cover and full color pages. Chris Alexander includes a back section of specially printed papers that will make the origami models look exactly like the originals, with all the right colors and pattern. Because of this, the book will be missing the entire back section once you are done with all of the models. Personally, I think the book would be better if spiral bound, so it would still be a functional book at that point. More than half of the models will still look fine when done with ordinary paper, and the trivia pages will also be usable after all of the fancy paper is gone. The book isn't kidding when it says it is for 8 and up, based on the reading level alone, though I would say that while I myself started doing origami at age 8, what I did then was easier than these.

My main purpose in reviewing, however, is to advise those who purchase STAR WARS Origami. If you have never done origami before, make sure you practice with plain paper before using the included papers. This way, you have the freedom to make mistakes the first time, and will already know what you are doing when you make your display models. Practice the folds shown at the beginning of the book, especially the inversion fold, as Chris Alexander utilizes it often, and I find it tricky to do at times. Also, pay close attention to the orientation of the fancy paper and when it gets turned in different directions, to be sure things end up in the right places. I personally tend to lose track of which side is which, and would end up making everything turn out wrong, because I am used to working with solid color paper.

While the level of difficulty of individual models is included, I would say that the book overall is maybe level two origami--it would be better to have some prior experience, but none of these are the super hard math based models the experts make and display at origami shows. Kids may need adult helpers to make sure they aren't skipping steps, or to help them figure out how pictures translate into what they are doing. There was only one model I could not complete due to not understanding the directions, the cloner alien from Kamino, which I thought might have failed to show what was happening in certain steps. Everything else was good, and I especially enjoyed how Slave I, Boba and Jango Fett's ship, turned out, as well as Luke's landspeeder.

$16.95 $9.60