Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 12, 2008
Dont let the hardcore naysayers influence your decision about this game. I(a 38 year old male)purchased this for me and my 6 year old son. WE also bought the dual glowing light sabers(a definite must have-a really enjoyable experience) Yes the campaign is short but the main reason for this game is the multiplayer dueling. There is a good training mode showing you not to just hack and slash. There are also force abilities you can use to throw objects and push your opponents too. So if you actually memorize the combos it can be a fun and challenging game. So don't let the hardcore "Star Wars" MEN discourage you-let them gripe and complain about how Lucas and the franchise have gone down the tubes 20 years ago after episode 6,etc,etc. Sure this is no lightsaber sim, but it is very fun and has a lot of replay, and will be the closest thing to using a lightsaber that most of us come to. Buy the lightsabers too([...]) you wont regret it. Be a kid again and may the force be with you.
1111 comments|275 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2009
Let me first start by saying that I have owned this game now for nearly 3 months. I will say that it is better today than the day I bought it. Those people here who are whining about the controls and it not being "saberlike" while still being huge Star Wars fans obviously aren't true Jedi (fans.)

I will admit that after the first day of gameplay, I could have easily fallen into the "toss it aside as shallow" mindset as most reviewers here, but I decided I'd completely beat the game first. Well, I challenge the people who have reviewed this game negatively to do the following things:

1. Play the game on Jedi Knight or Master instead of being chumps on Padawan. Once Dooku or Obi-Wan hand you your rear a few times, you will realize that mindless wii-mote swinging is not the proper way to play.
2. Once you do this and realize that you might want to actually think a little, go ahead and try to complete all of the challenges to unlock the other characters. The challenges will force you to use strategy & timing, along with having to play at a higher difficulty. You will then gather a greater appreciation of movement, timing, and force energy usage/conservation.
3. Then find a friend or family member who will do both 1 & 2 and actually care to play! This game becomes immediately 10 times better when playing against a real gamer. My newfound appreciation after 3 months of owning this game has come from finally convincing one of my gaming buddies (whom I reguarly engage in hours of Fight Night 3, Madden, and Street Fighter) to get into this game and really learn how to play. We now have consistent 5-8 minute per round duels with crafty parrying, flipping, and force attacks with the varying fighting styles of the different characters.

I will repeat, this game takes DISCIPLINE and patience! And it is awesome if you care to make it so!

The cons I have for this game is I wish there were more characters (such as Yoda) and more variety in the one-liners. I also wish that the between round cut scenes didn't obstruct the battle flow so much. There could be smoother transaction between rounds/battles as the menu screens are abrupt as well. Another con, as someone else pointed out, is that it is very easy in the heat of battle to hit the pause or menu buttons during a swing. VERY annoying during an intense match trying to concentrate. I have also noticed this same phenomena while playing Madden '09 All Play when making a juke or tackle, so it is a common Wii annoyance during games that require quick reactive movements.
22 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2011
This seemed like such an obvious concept once the Wii with it motion controller came into existence. Yet LucasArts still found a way to bungle it. The feel of this game is all wrong, more like a traditional console fighting game than holding an actual lightsaber in your hand. The Wii Sports Resort sword fighting actually does a better job at replicating sword fighting than this game. And that one includes a lot of other fun minigames too. The same can't be said for this.

The problem in my opinion is that they put in all these Force abilities and special moves that make it so you can't use the controller like a real lightsaber handle. That effectively makes the whole point of the game moot. I mean I had more fun pretend lightsaber fighting with old wrapping paper tubes with my brother when we were kids than this game. And those were a lot cheaper.

Someday maybe LucasArts will get a real lightsaber duel game out there--one that actually lets you get Vader and Luke to replicate the good movies--but this isn't it. Save your money until then.

That is all.
on November 12, 2008
If you are expecting fluid motion of the light saber on the screen - this isn't it. Attacks are made by moving the remote and it does respond to swinging.

That being said - it is fun, just don't have these super high expectations that a Wii doesn't have the power to deliver.
on November 11, 2008
Positive: Very clean graphics.

Negative: The point of this game is supposed to be to wield the wiimote like a lightsaber, you will do none of that.

First, the nunchuck has to be attached for game play, and this restricts any realistic attacks you would make.

Second, you are instructed to hold the wiimote horizontally (buttons facing ceiling), with flicks of the wrist up, down, left, right registering as attacks. It turns into some lame fencing exercise, not lightsaber duels.

Campaign mode is easily beaten in 1 hour. It is highly structured and leaves zero options or strategy to the player. It chooses your character and opponent, cuts to empty shouting matches with splices of clone wars footage, and begins the fight. There are no breaks between fights and no where to stop to save and continue later.

Might provide entertainment for very young kids, but has no value for a mature gamer.
33 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2012
My nephews were really into the clone wars animated show. They had also just gotten WII and loved to do the sword fighting event in the sports resort game. So I really thought they'd love this. I also bought them two lightsabers.

I watched as my older nephew (8 at the time) played this for the first time. After about 10 minutes of playing, he wanted to do something else. I don't blame him.

It is very repetitive. You are dueling with a bad guy. Then when you beat him, it's on to the next bad guy. Over and over.

After about 4 duels, the dialog starts to repeat (the insults they say to each other).

It really isn't very exciting to a kid.
on December 11, 2015
I think the biggest reason this game received such a mixed/negative response was due to it being advertised as the game where you finally truly feel like you were wielding a real lightsaber. This is not the case; Star Wars the Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels is a waggle game with fairly responsive controls, but NOT the definitive 'lightsaber' game. If you prepare yourself for this fact, you'll enjoy the game much, much more.

That aside, Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels was Lucasarts' 2nd attempt at making a SoulCalibur/Tekken style fighting game set in the Star Wars universe (the first being Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi on the PlayStation in 1997, which was an awful game but hilariously fun for some people such as myself), and I think it's fair to say this game is MUCH better made than its predecessor. There are a total of nine characters: Anikan Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ashoka Tano, Count Dooku, Asajj Ventress, General Grievous, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, and twin-lightsaber wielding droid which I forget the name of. This is a fairly shallow lineup to be honest, especially considering three of these characters have to be unlocked (Plo, Kit, Droid)

Enviroments in graphics in Lightsaber Duels on the other hand, are quite impressive. The graphics capture the animation style of the show almost perfectly, and the environments are full of detail. Music is ripped straight from the show/movie, which I will say is a disappointment due to none of the John Williams score, and much of the game's score is not some of Kevin Kiner's finest from the Clone Wars. Throughout the battle there is specialized dialogue for each character-on-character duel, which is a very nice touch. Though it can become repetitive after a while. Speaking of the voice acting however, practically every character is voiced by their Clone Wars series actor/actoress, which I loved.

Gameplay itself is simple, but with many special moves per character, you'll want to use them all. The gameplay is mostly solid, though best played versus with a friend, as the single player is extremely shallow. There are also various mini-games throughout the matches that honestly get very annoying that require you to waggle the Wii-mote for your life.

I could get a bit more in detail with this game, but I won't as I had decided to make this a short review and it's already getting longer than I had intended. In the end, Star Wars the Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels is an alright fighting game that's made FAR more enjoyable with family or friends. If you're a Star Wars fan with a Wii and fellow people to play with, you owe it to yourself to get it. Just don't expect a perfect game, and you'll enjoy it for what it is.

Hope I was helpful to you.
on March 9, 2016
My husband and son love playing star wars Wii games together. They did not seem to care for this one though. Think you're just basically fighting eachother. They like working together to get to various levels like you can in other star wars games.
on January 1, 2014
I bought this game for my 6-year-old son and husband to play together since they love Star Wars. But, I really don't like games where all you have to do is swing back and forth, with no skill, and you'll win. I gave it 2 stars because for a 6-year-old, that's fine and he's excited to win. But, it doesn't take long with something like this, to get bored with it. I don't recommend buying this!
on August 22, 2012
Pros: Good graphics.
Cons: First off, the lightsaber moves are totally unrealistic. You have to hold the remote a certain way (buttons facing up) and that almost takes away any motion. It really hurts your arm to keep it in this position for the whole duel. Second, the special character combo moves are too hard to remember in the heat of a battle. Third, you jump about 2 feet high and dodge by taking 1 step. Fourth, it is REALLY hard to parry. The attacks come in so fast that you have less than half a second to swing your remote in the correct direction (which is pretty hard to distinguish) while holding down the B button. Fifth, the characters have almost NO variation between fighting styles, combos, attacks, or anything else. And lastly, when you get attacked, YOU CANNOT MOVE. I mean literally, when someone is beating you up with their lightsaber, you cannot block, parry, counterattack, dodge, or jump, which is very annoying.

Overall, there are definitely better fighting games out there. I would recommend Super Smash Bros. Brawl.