5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars: A New Generation
Published on December 28, 2008 by A. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been a good live-action film
The characters work, the story is watchable -- already it beats 'The Phantom Menance' and 'Attack of the Clones'. Add some genuinely exciting action, a sexy new villianess and some tongue-in-cheek humour and you have a STAR WARS film.

Published on February 15, 2009 by Australian Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars: A New Generation, December 28, 2008
The Star Wars motion picture saga told the story of one Anakin Skywalker. The Clone Wars is here to tell the stories of other Jedi and of the clones. To a lesser extent, The Clone Wars fills in the gaps and answers some of the many questions the motion pictures failed to explain. As someone who has been a fan of the saga since day one in May 1977, I always wanted more than Lucas was ever able to provide on the big screen.

The focus of The Clone Wars is the clones. This movie, and the 30 minute episodes shown every week on The Cartoon Network, go to great pains to show us the clones are individuals with their own personalities and quirks. They realize they are just Bantha fodder in the great Republic war machine, yet they fight and die without question. If you're hurt, just a bit, every time a clone dies... that was point of this exercise.

Not only do we learn of the clones, but also of the other Master Jedi. The Sith and the Separatists are explored in great detail. The Separatist droids provide the comic relief. You'll recognize Lucas's dated corny-ness in every moronic thing the droids say.

If you don't like it, no big deal. Go watch the original triology on Laser Disc and enjoy. Star Wars is George's story done George's way... not yours, mine or ours to tell. The Clone Wars isn't perfect. Some parts are down right annoying. I've changed a lot since May 1977... and so has Star Wars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it tries to do., November 13, 2008
I just finished watching `The Clone Wars' & to be honest it was pretty good. No it's not as good as the movies & it's not as intense as the Samurai Jack-esk `Clone Wars' shorts from 2003 but then again it's not supposed to be like ANY of those. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
ALSO keep in mind that Lucas is trying to broaden his appeal to kids with this movie's style & story telling as well as with the series on CTN so it's going to be, over all, a bit more simple in its execution but no less entertaining. Don't watch this expecting an Oscar performance. It is a CGI cartoon after all, how serious/critical are you supposed to take it? It has more of an Episode 2 feel to it, for me at least, but the action sequences are just as long, intense & still 'edgy' for a CGI cartoon. They flowed well & were non-stop action. Clone troopers got it pretty bad in this movie & the lightsaber duels left me wanting for more(longer duels, that is) but were pretty good for a CGI cartoon. It held my interest the whole time though the plot of helping the huts was a bit odd. The dialogue could have used a little help but what star wars movie couldn't? I wouldn't recommend buying this movie until you see it first but if you keep in mind what this movie is supposed to be/do & you don't take it as seriously as some, then you should have fun & you'll be just fine. Anakin's apprentice is there for the young girls as well as to be the little miss know-it-all pain in the butt for Anakin the way he was to Ben (it's called irony) so she may be a bit annoying for some out there (she's better in the TV series)...and who in this world isn't about money? There is a lot of story that can be told between episodes and he wants to tell it (whether is executed well or not). We all would do it too & you all know it.
`TCW' story line isn't a major one in the Star Wars universe. It feels more like a made for TV movie but it ultimately starts up the TV series so there is a longer broader story to set up here as well.

Simple, aims at a broader audience & still a fun watch, if only once, in my opinion.

I say rent it first, watch it for what it is & go from there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Father of a Star Wars Fanatic, November 11, 2009
S. Barraco (Huntington, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 6 year old son who loves Star Wars and the Clone Wars cartoons. He is always asking me to let him watch the Clone Wars on TV but it is on past his bedtime. This helps satisfy his need to see the TV series. He loves it and I think its very imaginative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CG Intro For Kids, October 23, 2008
The people who slammed this kids' film were, guess what? bitter adult Star Wars fans who have refused to recognize the saga has moved onto the next generation. This is not a continuation of the live-action films, it is a computer animated interpretation of Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animated series, hence the super stylized faces and character designs. It's a great way to get young children, like my nephew who has never seen a Star Wars movie interested in the idea. Face it people, this is a kids' show and always will be. If you want the darker, more realistic side of the saga, wait for the live-action TV series to come. Relax, and enjoy the lighter side of Star Wars once in a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been a good live-action film, February 15, 2009

The story follows the typical father/son Lucas path (what is with George and his daddy issues?), this time with Jabba the Hutt losing his slimy newborn. Anakin Skywalker and his new Jedi apprentice are sent to rescue the Huttlet as Obi-Wan Kenobi chats with Jabba.

Some of the dialogue is overdone or badly planned (for example, Obi-Wan assures his droid that "...I'm sure Jabba will be in a good mood" despite the fact that Jabba has recently lost his son!) and some characters remain wooden (Mace Windu badly needs a personality) but there is enough eye-candy and energy to keep viewers interested. Count Dooku finally establishes himself as a half-decent antagonist, but it is his slinky sidekick who steals the show.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amusing in parts, but ultimately pointless, August 12, 2010
Craig MACKINNON (Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
The Clone Wars "microseries" created for the Cartoon Network have a noble simplicity to them - they are short and crudely animated, but they are fun and full of energy and adventure. Most importantly, they "feel" like Star Wars stories. I've only seen a few of the shows from the regular series, but they too are fast-paced, action-packed, and generally a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately, this movie, which bridges the microseries with the regular series, is a placeholder, uninteresting, and even cringe-worthy in parts.

Intellectually, I can't tell what the problem is with the movie. Perhaps it's because it IS a movie - the writers/directors/producers of the show are used to 22-minute slots. Instead of coming up with a deeper story to fill out the longer length, they simply add in more effects sequences. How many times do we really want to watch Clone troopers (who all look the same) battling droids (that all look the same) in ruined cities (that all look the same)? The screenplay isn't much better - there is a minimum of information exchange, and some very cringe-inducing "banter" between Anakin and his padawan. At least the battledroids have some nifty one-liners, as does General Greivous. When Clone Wars works, it's showing us stuff we've never seen before (e.g. commando teams of Clones infiltrating behind enemy lines).

Do yourself a favour - skip this and buy any of the TV series. I think even small children will find the series (and the actual live action films, for that matter) more enjoyable than this film.

The extras don't give much extra for the Star Wars fan either. There are recording sessions, and it's always interesting to see what the voice actors look like. There are also some deleted scenes and a director's commentary. But ultimately the film rests on the fact that we're seeing Clones vs. Droids again and again, and I just can't accept that of all the evil plots Darth Sidius could come up with to try and gain control of the universe, his best was kidnapping Jabba the Hutt's son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Okay so I'm just going to come out and admit it...I liked it., June 14, 2010
Rock~N~Rolla (Detroit Rock City, Michigan) - See all my reviews
Over the years I have seen every single Star Wars film in the movie theater, even the special editions during the nineties, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed them all. But when I saw that they made a Clone Wars CGI animated movie, I thought to myself, "Why bother?" So as it goes I didn't bother to see that one in the theater. Recently I began watching all of the old films again starting with episode one to see how well they hold up (I still love 'em.) and so it was that I wanted even more Star Wars to entertain me and soon I decided that I would give The Clone Wars a try.

The movie takes place between episodes 2 and 3 and has some familiar characters such as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, General Grievous, Senator Palpatine, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Jabba The Hutt. The plot involves the kidnapping of Jabba The Hutt's Son by Dooku and his gang in an attempt to lay the blame on the Jedis in order to cause the Hutt's to join the separatist's movement against the Republic.

Upon it's release the movie received many negative reviews some of which compared it to a Saturday Morning Cartoon, which to be honest, it basically is. And of course there is now the Clone Wars TV show that followed it now airing on TV. Yet despite all of that, I still enjoyed the movie a lot. It had it's moments and I really enjoyed the excellent CGI animation and thought the battles and spaceships and scenery and characters and lightsaber fights were all very well done. The only downside that I can think of is the character Ahsoka Tano, who is a Padawan to Anakin Skywalker. She's an okay character and has some good scenes in the movie, but she's a little too cutesy for my liking. Plus, I have to agree with some previous critic's opinions that it seems a little strange to have Anakin mentoring a Padawan, especially when you know a lot of his history in the prequels. Otherwise, it's a very cool Saturday Morning CGI cartoon movie.

I noticed a lot of bad reviews for this movie and I can understand why a lot of people would be turned off by it, but I am not one of them. I can look at this as being a whole different part of the Star Wars universe and enjoy it for what it is. A whole new chapter of CGI animated stories for children to enjoy, and also older teens and adults who still have their inner child within them. I have to admit that my inner child liked The Clone Wars movie a lot and now looks forward to viewing The Clone Wars animated series.

4.0 out of 5 stars George Lucas sells out in a galaxy far, far away (but, this time, in a less aggravating way)..., November 29, 2008
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Three and a half stars for this one.

- 1st battle droid (during a heavy skirmish): "Concentrate fire on sector 11374265!"
- 2nd battle droid: "One, one, three... seven... What was that again?"

For a bit now, I've nursed a mad-on at George Lucas and his bungling of the Star Wars universe. But, in retrospect and after some years removed, the Star Wars prequel trilogy doesn't quite seem as awful as I thought (although Jar Jar Binks - grrrr!). Star Wars - Episode III, Revenge of the Sith (Widescreen Edition) went a long way to atoning for some of the sabotage done. Anyway, given that Lucas had already jumped the shark in a galaxy far, far away, I still wanted to approach STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS with a less prejudiced perspective, and this mindset pays off. Thanks to my super power of compartmentalizing, I actually had a good time watching this animated feature.

Chronologically, STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS takes place between Star Wars - Episode II, Attack of the Clones (Widescreen Edition) and EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH. It also sets the stage for the new STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS animated television series on the Cartoon Network. As the movie opens, the Republic is at war with the Separatists. Even as Obi-Wan Kenobi is charged with negotiating a safe passage treaty with the galactic crime lord, Jabba the Hutt, who controls the Outer Rim shipping routes, Anakin Skywalker and his new, enthusiastic Padawan learner, Ahsoka Tano, go on a mission to rescue Jabba's abducted baby. Of course, this is exactly what the traitorous Count Dooku is counting on.

The vast leaps in moviemaking f/x seem to have an adverse effect in Lucas's storytelling ability. As one improves, the other degenerates. There's no escaping that THE CLONE WARS is strictly vanilla. It takes on the sensibilities of those old matinee serial movies, meaning that it's mostly a series of non-stop action sequences stretching out a bare bones plot. Basically, it's platoon after platoon of battle droids getting smashed, with the film occasionally breaking away to feature lightsaber throwdowns. Obviously pandering more towards younglings, it's no surprise that the movie feels shallow and that character development is quickly defenestrated. And, although the film serves to fill in some gaps during the Clone Wars, nothing really significant crops up to contribute to the Star Wars mythos. Not to mention, John Williams' classic theme score is woefully neglected. But, okay, for what it is, the film is nicely done and it succeeds on its objective, which is to draw in an audience for the then upcoming television cartoon series. For older Star Wars geeks, THE CLONE WARS is something to watch with the brain on park. I cringed a bit, though, during the opening moments, when that newsy voice-over goes into its monologue, ala STARSHIP TROOPERS.

Huge chunks of screen time are given to Anakin and his spirited 14-year-old apprentice. They make a hotheaded duo, and their constant, infantile bickerings serve to undermine the film, but, again, the kids will probably beg to differ. I shudder each time Ahsoka refers to Anakin as "Sky Guy" (he calls her "Snips"), although that's just another element of their older brother/younger sister dynamics.

Although many relevant characters from the live action films appear, it's disconcerting that so few of the original actors lend their voices to this film. In Hayden Christensen's case, this is probably a good thing, as less of him equates to fewer apoplexies suffered by the viewers. Samuel J. Jackson, Christopher Lee and Anthony Daniels do show up, and their voices are invaluable. The CG animation here is angular and stylized. In its look, it veers away from the animation style of the 2003 CLONE WARS television micro-series (see Star Wars - Clone Wars, Vol. 1). In a way, it more resembles the marionette style of those 1960s Thunderbirds shows, although, thankfully, the animation here is much, much more fluid. It's no Pixar material, but I kinda dug it.

Boil it down? STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS offers a subpar story but sort of makes up for it with pretty cool battle sequences and decent animation. I even grew fond of Ahsoka Tano, who, in her eagerness and recklessness, is much like Anakin when he was younger. Probably why they end up getting along. As usual, there's that blend of panoramic space opera and Jedi mysticism. Death rays and magic swords. And the battle robots get the funniest lines.

But what happens to Ahsoka Tano that we don't see her in REVENGE OF THE SITH? Or did I miss something?

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me into the Clone Wars Seasons, August 6, 2013
Xpendable (North Dakota) - See all my reviews
I remember watching this as a kid and enjoyed it. Now I have taken my time to watch all the seasons, and I am glad I did.

I can't wait to be able to watch this movie and the seasons with my nephew.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids love it, July 24, 2013
I like Star Wars, but I'm not real big on the animated Clone Wars stuff. But my sons are NUTS about it and have watched this over and over again.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars