5.0 out of 5 stars Great Model Kit of the classic X-Wing
I didn't buy my particular model from Amazon, since I got it on sale at Michaels, but I seem to see most people complaining that it's a model kit. Well, that's what it is.

Published on April 18, 2011 by T. Zhuang

3.0 out of 5 stars Good lite small dimensioned X-wing for small youthful hands
Price is descent and glad I bought it for its lite weight and dimensions!

My youthful son didn't seem to care much if it was a heavier or more durable version of the X-Wing.

The lite plastic parts are fairly straight forward for an adult to assemble like 15 minutes with a favorite beverage. :)

I noticed that the laser cannons on each wing...
Published on July 29, 2009 by F. Mccabe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Model Kit of the classic X-Wing, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)

This is a Level 1 kit from Revell, so it requies no glue or paint to complete for the original "stock" look as shown on the box. The box art is actually very accurate; they show it straight-built, with even the nub marks still visible. Once you take it out of the box, like a traditional model it, you must cut the parts out of the "plates" and clean them up. From there it's simple snap and go. The parts are all pre-painted; Revell was nice enough to add all the red, orange, blue, gray, etc. on the plastic parts for you. It even comes with two little rubber figures of R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker. They are VERY detailed and painted completely, and I must say...the paint they use is GREAT, since it takes a lot of rubbing to make it come off. The Luke Skywalker figure, however, looks rather awkward in the cockpit; he simply looks like he's lying down more than he's sitting. Oh, and it also comes with a nice set of landing gear. I suppose it compensates for a lack of a stand, but be warned. The cover for the landing gear in the front is very difficult to remove, evern though they give you a little finger indent. There are no problems with the rear landing gear, though.

I will note some downsides to it. This is merely a personal preference, but I feel that the X-Wing is lacking in it's color choices. I went ahead and painted in a lot of the pieces that I didn't like; the blue cockpit looked too mellow (all of the light baby blue on this model generally looked ugly), so I painted it silver, and changed the "vent" colors to a black and gray. The thrusters and blasters were also painted to add a bit of color seperation. Also, it could really do with some panel lines. Revell has incorperated great detail into this model, with many lines all around the hull that can easily be picked out with some paint or a lining marker.

As a model kit, it's actually very durable, but I don't reccomend playing with it. As a general rule, models are meant more for display than for play. You have action figure toys for that.

Overall, it's a simple, nice, and faithful representation of the classic X-Wing fighter from the original Star Wars Trilogy. It only takes a day or two to build, detail, and paint. If you're looking for a durable, pre-built toy that can take a serious thrashing, though, I'd say look for an actual toy instead of a model.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good lite small dimensioned X-wing for small youthful hands, July 29, 2009
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
Price is descent and glad I bought it for its lite weight and dimensions!

I noticed that the laser cannons on each wing can fall off or break if a child isn't careful.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased it and might buy the bigger more heavier and expensive version when my son gets older. Somehow will have to convince my spouse when that time comes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable Toy, January 26, 2011
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
Great toy and durable. With the ships that are for mass market to just pick up at a toy store in excess of 100 dollars, this was a GREAT alternative. For some reason the big chain store of preassembled ships is limited and outrageously priced. This toy has taken a beating and keeps on chugging. I did how ever use a little super glue on some spots that I thought might wear out with this basically being a snap together model. So far its almost a year old and gets played with all the time and is still a great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but no stand, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
I like the model, only thing is that unless the skids are down, it comes with no stand to have it in the air with the "x" open.

5.0 out of 5 stars X Wing, September 18, 2012
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
The X wing was in perfect size to be mated in a flight display with the Han Solos Revell Millennium Falcon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allowing my grandson to build it and than play with it made these toys the most valued to him., January 21, 2009
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
Allowing my grandson to build this and than play with it made these toys the most valued to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a model, not a toy...., April 9, 2010
Dr. Space (Somewhere, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
It seems pretty durable and it snaps together pretty well. If your child is just beginning to build models you will need to oversee the project a bit. All parts are wonderfully detailed and pre-painted. Instructions are pretty good if you've built kits before. I wish it was a large as the original X-Wings I built as a kid (curse you Lucas and your toady accounts). It'll look good sitting on a shelf. And it went together much better than at Trek model we bought that was rated at the same level. (What IS it about Trek models not fitting together?).

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Builder, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
I am a Star Wars fanatic, I have half of an entire room dedicated to it. I have never built any models like this before, in fact, I hate instructions and rarely build anything if I can help it. This caught my eye as it was not only a Star Wars model but low priced and a difficulty level of 1 (easiest). It took me 30 minutes to build it (I know) but when I was done I was very pleased. If I were to build another (which I plan to) I think I could get it done in less than half the time. After it was completed I hung it up on the ceiling with some fishing line and it looks great. While I wasn't able to paint mine all cool like some other people here, it looks pretty decent the way it came.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for display, July 23, 2013
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
This is an excellent buy for every SW fan out there. In fact I wanna buy a few more so I can make the whole fleet of Rogue Squadron! Assembly is simple and straight forward. Detail is considerably great for something this cheap.

There's one little funny thing about the instruction though. Regarding the wings, you need to flip "part no.6" the other way around coz there's a little hole and tab (indent) that won't let you close the wings properly if you assemble it according to the instructions. Maybe it's illustrated wrong, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. But if you follow it exactly, trust me.. the wings wouldn't close nice and tight. Refer to my product pictures.

This thing will look great as a display, rather than being a great toy. Coz the plastic isn't the elastic type like Fischer Price toys (which made them hard to snap) So if you're intending to get this as a toy for your 4/5 y/o, I'm not saying you can't. Just don't expect it to last more than two weeks.

So my sum up:

Pros:
Detail for the price
Price
Ease of assembly.

Cons:
Not a toy. Don't really see this kind of plastic being able to handle abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids Xmas Gift, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit (Toy)
Neat looking model. Got a 3 pack of star wars models for the kid... He will love them and show them off for years

Star Wars X-Wing fighter Model Kit