Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon September 19, 2010
Boats are used in water so there is always a mildew problem. When we store ours in the winter, I hang several of them - more than the instructions say is necessary. There is no mildew in the spring. I leave the ones in the bath and hanging locker during the summer.

Since I live in a humid climate, my closets smell of mildew in the summer - or they did until I started hanging these in the closets. The smell gradually cleared.

Addendum: Although the product is supposed to be the same, it now comes in a plastic case instead of a cardboard hanger. My original 5 star review was for the bags in the hangers. Those in the plastic box with vent holes don't seem to work quite as well. I am experimenting with putting them in the used cardboard hangers which I still have. My boat is stored for 6 months, and one month mildew prevention doesn't do me any good. I have downgraded my rating to 3 stars.
on May 16, 2010
I had a problem with mold, mildew, and a musty smell in my basement. After cleaning the mold and mildew thoroughly with a mixture of vinegar and water I aerated the basement overnight with a strong commercial fan. The next day I placed six MDG odor control bags strategically throughout the basement and noticed within hours not only was the last remnants of the smell gone, but the air actually smelled fresh. This product really works!! I had used them before in my boat, in the bilge and cabin with great success. I'm glad Star bright still makes a great product.
on June 2, 2011
I have a musty room in my basement where I store off-season clothing. There is no visible dampness or mold in the area, but the room has a musty smell that seeps into my clothes and requires dry cleaning to remove. I've tried "Damp-Rid" with limited success but it is expensive and doesn't last long. The Star Brite Mildew Odor Control product lasts 6 months and is extremely effective and much less expensive. Thank you for this solution!
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2013
I used to buy the product shown in the picture by the case lot- the old style Starbrite Mildew Odor Control sachets. So, this is what I thought I was getting. Instead, I got the newer style product with barely any chlorine dioxide in it. The seller is using the picture of the older now discontinued item, but shipping the newer, less effective item instead, the kind that is also sold by Starbrite, shipped direct by Amazon. BEWARE. If you want the older style larger Starbrite sachets, you wont get them from this seller, and you get to pay for RETURN shipping. Argh. What a waste of time and effort.

There are two problems here: Starbrite has stopped manufacturing and selling the older style sachets that came packed two to a box in a cardboard box and lasted for months, as they had lots of chlorine dioxide in each sachet; the second problem is that this seller is deceptively using the wrong picture, when the correct image is readily available. SHAME ON THEM.
on November 9, 2011
This is the product that I have been using for ~8 years. It works very well. The new Star Brite mildew control product has too many restrictions compared with this version of the product.
88 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2011
Product arrived quickly and took only minutes to hang up in my basement, which had a musty mildew-like smell. Within hours, the odors seemed to go away. Very satisfied with the product.
on October 16, 2010
I've used these for years. The first winter I tried them I was sold when spring came around I didn't have to deal with mildew after winter storage.
on April 25, 2013
This doesn't work. Total waste of money. It does absolutely nothing. I went to Lowes and got Oder out. Works great.
on September 3, 2013
It does get rig of the smell of mildew. Use it in my closet and wherever else that is needed.
on August 8, 2011
I just received the items, which look the same as the product advertised but the directions say it only works for one month, not the four advertised. Perhaps it will work for four months, if it does I will change the review. Thanks.