Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on October 29, 2012
I bought this for use with a 2TB Fantom Greendrive USB 3.0 HDD, to work in conjunction with the short 3ft USB 3.0 cable that came with the drive. Unfortunately, when using this extension cable, the transfer rates I was seeing were the same as when I used a plain old USB 2.0 cable. The below test results are from CrystalDiskMark v.3 on three configurations with the same drive: 1. Using the original USB 3.0 cable that came with the drive, 2. Using the original USB 3.0 cable along with this extension cable, and 3. Using a regular USB 2.0 cable.

I'll be returning this cable and trying a longer 3.0 cable instead of an extension.

1. With original USB 3.0 cable

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.314 MB/s [ 320.8 IOPS]

Date : 2012/10/29 18:57:54

UPDATE: I instead purchased this USB 3.0 cable to run straight from the drive
StarTech.com USB3SAB6 6 Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Cable A to B - M/M

The performance is much better than the extension cable.

With Startech 6ft A-to-B USB 3.0 cable

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.680 MB/s [ 166.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.311 MB/s [ 320.0 IOPS]

Date : 2012/10/31 14:25:30
on July 11, 2011
After three attempts buying and trying USB extension cables for my power charger on the Transformer tf101, this cable is a keeper as it works flawlessly. Like the blue color and thick cord. This is a USB 3 cable and even now there is no literature pointing towards USB revision 3 cables working with the ASUS tablet. Possibly any brand USB 3 extension cable would work fine. Wish I found this out alot sooner.
66 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2011
I ordered this to make my ASUS Transformer charge cable longer and it worked perfect. I would recomenend this to anyone with this tablet. :)
on April 26, 2011
I bought this cable to extend a short USB 3.0 cable provided with a USB 3.0 drive, however this cable while bringing power to the device wasn't able to complete the USB connection? While it appears to have the right connectors (4 leads for USB 2.0, 5 leads for USB 3.0 in the plugs) once connected the USB 3.0 drive was not recognized. Remove the cable and everything works fine. Not sure whether this is a Q/A problem or just a fake cable as another reviewer mentioned, again the connectors appear to be right for USB 3.0. It is one of the cheapest cables out there ... I guess you get what you pay for? I recommend trying another supplier.

UPDATE: Still trying to buy a USB 3.0 cable, I inadvertently bought from the same supplier, CMPLE.com out of Brooklyn, NY. The Amazon advert was for a Tripp Lite 6ft USB 3.0 m/f cable which I didn't think was the same as this cable. I'd already clicked buy it before I realized it was the same distributor. I hoped because it said it was a Tripp Lite cable I was actually getting a cable from a different manufacturer. When I received the second cable, to my eye the packaging was the same as the first cable I bought from CMPLE.com, the name Tripp Lite does not appear on the packaging, and finally the cable fails in the same manner as the first cable I received from Cmple.com. Specifically, if I extend my short working USB 3.0 cable connected to a working USB 3.0 drive by plugging the male end into their cables female end, and their male end into my computer, my working USB drive starts to click repeatedly, as if it is trying to mount. Repetitive clicking is not the sound one wants to hear from any drive. So, I've immediately disconnected it ... fortunately the drive still works after this treatment. The cable while appearing to have the right USB 3.0 connectors just doesn't work.

DO NOT BUY ANY USB 3.0 CABLE marketed by Cmple. I'm waiting to see if they will make a refund.
on August 6, 2011
I understand that many factors affect the acutal USB transfer speed. By using the same environment check the relative performance of this product probably is more objective.

Testing machine: HP Pravilion a6700y, CPU: AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core 1.80 GHz, 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM, Windows Vista-64 Home Premium. On-Board USB 2.0 ports, Plugin USB 3.0 add-on adapter.

Various USB2.0 Flash Drives, Patriot Supersonic 32 GB USB3.0 Flash Drive, ADATA S102 32 GB USB3.0 Flash Drive.

USB Flash Drive testing software: USBDeview V1.91 by Nir Sofer ([...])

Test results:
Various USB 2.0 Flash Drives on USB 2.0 port: 2 - 8 MB/sec. write, 6 - 13 MB/sec. read (similar results from direct connection or thorugh a generic USB 2.0 cable).

Various USB 2.0 Flash Drives on Plugin USB 3.0 adapter port: 2 - 8 MB/sec. write, 6 - 13 MB/sec. read (similar results from direct connection or thorugh StarTech. USB 3.0 cable).

ADATA S102 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive on USB 2.0 port: 14.6 MB/sec. write, 18.9 MB/sec. read (similar results from direct connection or thorugh a generic USB 2.0 cable).

ADATA S102 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive on Plugin USB 3.0 adapter port (direct conncetion): 22.2 MB/sec. write, 67.5 MB/sec. read (manufacturer claimed drive speed: 31 MB/sec. write, 68 MB/sec. read)

ADATA S102 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive on Plugin USB 3.0 adapter port (through StarTech USB 3.0 cable): 23 MB/sec. write, 36 MB/sec. read

Patriot Supersonic 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive on USB 2.0 port: 13.5 MB/sec. write, 19.1 MB/sec. read (similar results from direct connection or thorugh a generic USB 2.0 cable).

Patriot Supersonic 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive on Plugin USB 3.0 adapter port (direct conncetion): 31 MB/sec. write, 113 MB/sec. read (manufacturer claimed drive speed: 70 MB/sec. write, 100 MB/sec. read)

Patriot Supersonic 32 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive on Plugin USB 3.0 adapter port (through StarTech USB 3.0 cable): 20 MB/sec. write, 36 MB/sec. read

Note 1: USB 2.0 port and StarTech USB 3.0 cable combination not tested. It is not the purpose this cable being bought for)

Note 2: ADATA S102 32 GB Flash Drive write test results on USB 3.0 port (direct connection and through StarTech USB 3.0 cable) are not as stable as the Patriot Supersonic 32 GB Flash Drive. In 20 tests, ADATA has 10 tests with 26 MB/sec. write but another 10 times paused during testing and lowered the results between 16 - 20 MB/sec, 22 MB/sec is the averag number.

Note 3: As some other reviewers pointed out, when USB 3.0 Flash Drives connect to the USB 3.0 port through this StarTech USB 3.0 cable, Windows Vista-64 thinks this cable/port combination is a USB 2.0 interface and displays the message says the USB 3.0 Flash Drives can have better performance if connect to a USB 3.0 interface.

Conclusion: StarTech USB 3.0 cable performs better than USB 2.0 but does not match the USB 3.0 port it connects to. The cable material and built quality are good.
on January 19, 2013
Purchased this cable so that I could plug my external hard drive into my desktop computer. External hard drive has a USB 3.0 connector but a very short cable. Installed the cable, and every 15 seconds or so, the connection was lost between the hard drive and my computer.
on December 3, 2011
When I finally got around to connecting this cable to my computer, I discovered that the female connector is USB 3.0 while the male connector is USB 2.0. The male end lacks the additional high-speed connections the would enable it to work at 3.0 speeds. Therefore, it appears to be a very good 2.0 cable but not a 3.0 cable as advertised. Maybe this explains why other reviewers are not getting the 3.0 speed and are getting the notice that a device would work better connected to a 3.0 port!
on July 17, 2011
This cable is everything it should be. Good quality durable construction with solid reliable connections that fit perfectly snug on any and all my devices. I use this primarily to extend the charging cable for my ASUS Eee Transformer (TF101). The charger requires a USB 3.0 cable because the wall plug waits for a termination signal on the additional pin that USB 3.0 incorporates. Without this pin, the chrger will continue to emit 5V instead of the minimum required 11V.

This cable not only performs at over 600MB/s, but charges my high end devices as it should. Beware of idiotic reviewers with inadequate testing equipment to properly judge this cable.

5 stars. As it should be.
on January 29, 2013
I have a new laptop with all 3.0 USB ports. I also have a 3.0 powered USB hub with several external hard drives attached and I needed this extension in order for the hub to reach my laptop. None of the 3.0 external (powered) drives work when the extension cable is used.
on June 6, 2011
I order this cable because the power cable with the Asus transformer is just to short. But you need a 3.0 cable to charge it. I had seen many people have issues with cables. The cable I had did not work.

If you need to extend the power cable for your asus transformer. I would order this one.