4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, after fixing sleep issue
StarTech... if you're reading this, try to fix this, please! I even did analysis and found a workaround for you. The least you can do is take my assessment into account and resolve the issue.

Published 19 months ago by M

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but the software created problems.
The device works great and my 2560x1600 monitor looks awesome.

Con: The software created some problems. As soon as I installed it, shockwave started crashing in google chrome. I have to reboot a few times a day due to this problem. It is starting to get very annoying.

Published on December 6, 2012 by Jimmi

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, after fixing sleep issue, May 16, 2013

Minus 1 star for the fact DisplayLink/StarTech cannot introduce drivers/software to resolve the adapter sleep issue. If I had not figured a solution out on my own, this product would have received only 2-stars.

This device is perfect, after I created a batch script to fix the issue where the two external monitors would stay asleep after the computer has been awaken. Will explain how to create your own after the "Cons" section below.

Some people have mentioned this occurs to them once in a while. For me, the issue occurs most of the time after the computer wakes from sleep mode.

Pros:
1) When functional, delivers perfect digital video/audio (audio on HDMI port only) to two external 1920x1080 monitors over a USB 2.0 connection. The device is connected to a hub, which also connects the keyboard and mouse.
2) Can display dvd quality to the two external monitors simultaneously, without too much cpu usage.
3) I can't speak for gaming, but my primary purpose is to use my laptop as a development machine. For development and other office functions, the adapter is more than adequate.
4) Works with Mac Mini running Lion OS as well. No wake-on-sleep issues, like I encountered on Windows 7 and 8 computers.
5) Self powered. No additional power required.
6) Customer service. They weren't able to figure out the issue, but at least they tried.

Cons:
1) The two external monitors connected to the adapter typically do not function after the laptop (Windows 8) resumes from sleep mode. I would have to unplug and reattach the USB cable to re-enable the adapter. This is not a good solution, as I'm trying to minimize the wear to the USB port and it's a pain to physically unplug/reattach the USB cable.

Fix:
I contacted StarTech regarding my issue. They told me that I should disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the USB Hubs listed within the Device Manager section. Unfortunately, they ignored the fact I told them the issue occurs, REGARDLESS of whether I connect the adapter directly to the laptop OR via a USB hub. But, as I said before, they tried... btw... I did try their recommendation, even though I knew it would not work. It didn't work...

Then, I performed some analysis of the processes running on my computer and discovered there is a Windows service that controls functionality and communication between the computer and the adapter... the DisplayLinkService.

Through the Windows Services management console, I was able to re-enable the two external monitors by restarting the DisplayLinkService.

Therefore, I created a batch file (FixDisplay.bat) and added the following three lines to the batch file and saved it to my desktop for easy access:

sc stop DisplayLinkService
sleep 2
sc start DisplayLinkService

Let me explain each command, so you're aware of what's going on and to assure you this is not a malware script. First line stops the DisplayLinkService. Second line pauses the batch request to allow the stop batch request to complete. The final command line starts the DisplayLinkService.

Now, whenever the external monitors do not wake up after the computer wakes from sleep mode, I simply double-click the FixDisplay.bat file that I saved to my desktop. Just a note... depending on your UAC setting, you might have to enable the batch file to run under an elevated account (i.e. Administrator), as the commands in the batch file start/stop an installed Windows service.

The best solution would be if the drivers actually worked flawlessly to wake up the adapter properly. But short of DisplayLink and/or StarTech fixing this issue, my ad-hoc solution works. The solution definitely beats unplugging/reattaching the USB cable that is inaccessible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, even on my Mac, July 30, 2013
Got this as a gift after looking all over for something that would work on a Mac, however when I first tried to set it up it did not work at all. Seems as though it is not Mac compatible, but after some tinkering I was able to get it to work on my Macbook Air running OS X 10.8.4. The key is the correct driver, do not install or use the one that comes with the adapter. I figured out who actually makes this thing and went to them and they have the correct driver. It is made by a company called Magic Control Technology Corp, and you can find the drivers needed here: [...] and the direct link to the zip download here: [...]

I hope this helps everyone with getting this working on their Mac as it took me about a 4 or so hours to figure all this out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but the software created problems., December 6, 2012
The device works great and my 2560x1600 monitor looks awesome.

Update #1: I spent some time with tech support and they said that the driver will cause conflicts with programs that use hardware acceleration. I turned off hardware acceleration in chrome and everything seems to be fixed. I changed my review from 3 stars to 4 stars. They should warn you about this before installing the software.

Update #2: Down to 2 stars. Disabling hardware acceleration helped a bit but there are still a lot of problems with the firmware. Here are some of the issues:

- If your software program won't let you disable hardware acceleration, you are screwed. For example, Evernote app was unusable.

- Before this software, my Samsung Series 9 fan would never kick on, after installing the software, it is almost always on.

- I have the top of the line Series 9 and still get some jittering in the video.

- I get random screen flashes every 20 minutes or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars this product works for me and i ordered a 2nd -- it works great too!, December 3, 2011
This review is from: StarTech USB to VGA External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter - 1920x1200 - USB to VGA External Graphics Card (Personal Computers)
December 26, 2011 update -- My wife got me one for Christmas. After my previous experience below, it was exactly what I wanted. I just tried it (had already loaded the drivers as noted below). It is working great! Hmm-- I have another monitor that I could probably use with this computer....
December 11 2011 update -- as indicated below, the purchase was for the church computer. It has been installed there and was used successfully in the Worship Service today. It continues to be easy to install and reliable.

ORIGINAL -- I installed this today. And it worked great immediately following installation.
(1) I made sure that the device was not attached to the computer as noted in the guide.
(2) I went to Startech.com and clicked on download and drivers, then entered the device name and dowloaded the driver.
(3) Then I ran the driver.
(4) As noted in the guide, it eventually indicated that I needed to restart so I let the computer restart.
(5) I had the monitor and and cable ready but as noted, waited until after the computer restarted -- and I gave it a few minutes so that all applications were up and running.
(6) Then I plugged in the usb cable to the computer
(7) The screen came on immediately. I did go into the system setup as suggested to review and eventually changed another monitor
So now I have
(a) laptop screen
(b) monitor 2 which is connected to the VGA port on the laptop
(c) monitor 3 which is connected through the USB2VGAE3
Each is on and each has different item displaying.
I wanted to check this out on my computer before we install it on a laptop at church which is used for morning worship presentations (well it was until we added a new screen which it could not handle).
So - it is going to be used there.
And probably in a month I will be getting one for myself. And then probably one for my wife.
All in all, if it the new one works as well for me as this one has, I would give it more stars than 5.
It is nice to have a product that works well right from the beginning. Thanks Startech.com and Thanks amazon.com.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned the product, May 17, 2013
I used the product for 2 weeks. During that time, while unlocking the computer or resuming from hibernate it would hard lock the computer until I disconnected it from the USB port. I tried various troubleshooting steps including installing the updated driver. Nothing worked. I made several attempts to contact StarTech technical support with no response. I finally returned the item and replaced it with EVGA UVPlus+ 39. I have had no issues at all with the EVGA UVPlus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 6, 2013
I bought this for windows 8 and was frustrated to find out that it didn't work for windows 8, only 7 and below. BUT I installed new drivers for windows 8 from the star tech website, and it works like a dream. Not an amazing refresh rate, but is good for surfing the web and writing documents, not so much movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Useful Product, October 30, 2012
This is the first product that allows a PC laptop without a DisplayPort to connect at 2560 by 1600 pixels, although SIIG has one that looks just like it. It can be daisy-chained with a DisplayPort to dual-link DVI converter if your 30-inch monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection. If your laptop does not have USB 3.0 but does have an Express card slot, this can be supplied by an Express card USB 3.0 adapter.

Mine works fine for a single added monitor and generates relatively low heat, but I needed to use the accompanying CD in order to get the driver update since I had one of the first ones. I have noticed no problem with responsiveness or excess video compression, but I do not do anything that requires high performance graphics either.

When I connected it directly to the DisplayPort on my 30" Dell in a complex monitor setup that included another additional large monitor, the screen would occasionally blank out for 1 or 2 seconds upon my doing something with the desktop. This went away when I daisy-chained it with a DisplayPort-to-DVI Dual link adapter and switched to the montior's DVI port.

Using two of these in addition to two regular displays can be problematic, depending on configuration. In one setup involving three high resolution monitors hooked up to the laptop, the software took a long time to work out the monitor configuration, had trouble recognizing the monitors hooked up to the adapter, and did not maintain a stable monitor configuration, tending to dump both adapters if I make minor adjustments. StarTech's helpdesk was helpful here, as they recommended trying a configuration without daisy-chaining, which eliminated the problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluescreen Windows 8 64 bit, June 15, 2012
I know it isn't RTM yet, but if you are looking to use this on Windows 8, I would wait. I tried the supplied driver as well as a newer driver on their website and both just set my machine into a bluescreen reboot loop.

I set up a support ticket with them, I will update with the results, but based on my google searches, the same thing happened when Windows 7 came out and they just blew it off until they were ready to release a driver.

I didn't want to give 2 stars as I think the item is probably good for supported configurations, but I also can't give it a high rating since it is providing me no value. I wish I could have just left the rating blank and just gave feedback.

* Update after a week or so of usage.*
So, I formatted my laptop and went back to Windows 7 to try this in a supported environment. There are some pretty big issues when going back and forth between sleep mode/docked and undocked that all go away if I uninstall the driver for this, but cause a bunch small issues when this is in installed. It often leaves me at a black screen and I have to open and reclose the laptop to get video, or if the card isnt plugged in when I dock, it seems to try to capture one of the other monitors on the dock (there are 2) and causes artifacting, needed a undock and redock. I asked StarTech the process to get a refund as it is just too much to deal with on a computer I actually use for work and they told me to reach out to Amazon (fail).

I am not going to go through all of the drama of fighting for a refund over such a trivial amount, but I definitely wont be recommending this to anyone, which is unfortunate as the other developers (I write software) where I work were very interested in picking one up if it worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, October 14, 2011
Easy to install and does everything it said it would. Made easy work out of setting up a dual monitor on a computer that didn't have a dual video card and a power supply too small to support changing to a dual card.

5.0 out of 5 stars I expend 2 hours in Amazon and Google finding this product, November 12, 2013
Maikol Guzman Alan (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I expend 2 hours in Amazon and Google try to find this product. Works great with my MacBook Pro 13 i7 (no-retina) with the OS X Maverick. The first time that I plugged and installed the drivers from StarTech.com I had issues with the response of the mouse and the screen but then I updated with the latest mac drivers (OS X Maverick) from [...] and all the issues disappear. Now I can have more than one monitors using this great product I recommend 100%.