Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: StarTech.com 1000 Mbps Gigabit Multi Mode Fiber Ethernet Media Converter SC 550m (MCMGBSC055)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: Gigabit SC Compact|Style: MM|Change

on February 14, 2012
Been running two of these for about five months now between buildings for a multifamily internet system - Nothing too fancy. No problems yet, doing their jobs silently and trouble free as they should. My only comment would be that they run a little on the warm side. I haven't pointed a thermometer at them, but they are hot to the touch - Nothing dangerous or burn-inducing. It hasn't been an issue thus far.
on October 29, 2013
Warning, If you unplug the ethernet cable, or reboot the device, you may have to reboot your switch also. After talking to Startech.com techsupport it seems some switches (both I have in my environment by the way) have an issue auto-negotiating port speeds and never fully link up. They keep dropping connection over and over until you reset both the unit AND the switch.

This happens to both my Linksys SRW2024 and Dlink DGS-1024D switches.

I have swapped out the first set of units thinking they were just a bad run, however, the new ones do the same thing. Keep this in mind if getting to the switches could be an issue every time there is a power outage or you unplug the cable.

The solution from startech was either buy this model: ET91000SC2
Or
Set the switch to always run 1gb and not auto-negotiate.
on September 8, 2012
I was a little skeptical because of the price, but I am glad I gave it a try. Two of these have been connecting a fiber network between my buildings about 2000ft apart. I have not had to restart them once in the four months I have owned them. They have been little workhorses laughing at any amount of traffic I give them. You will not go wrong with these media converters.

I needed them in a pinch and Amazon Prime had them to me next day!
on October 21, 2013
I purchased 2 of these to replace an old Fiber Media Converter and could not figure out why they were not working for a while since everything seemed to hooked up correctly. Well on 1 end I had a 100MB switch going to it and It needed to be plugged into a Gigabit switch. I gave it 5 stars still because this is how it is advertised and after replacing the switch it works great. I am just not used to deviced not being backward compatible but I also do not work with Fiber Components often and this may be standard. I am going to purchase another just incase one of them goes bad in the future.
on September 24, 2013
Searched for these On-line and found others for much more money. Some double and triple the cost. I have 2,000 ft. of separation between two of these for buildings and connected by fiber. For the money and speed these work perfectly for internet and Wi-Fi, that I am using them for.
on January 24, 2013
Gigabit fiber speeds at the house. Working great. No complaints. Make sure you remember to set them to "Force" if you have one of these at each end.

Needed assistance from customer service (I was plugging into a 10/100 port at the source, and these are GigE only) and they were great.
on September 25, 2013
Startech.com makes good and reliable media converters. This model works well in all the locations our clients have installed them.
on December 7, 2014
These worked perfectly for our Ethernet to Fiber Optic setup. just make sure you ahve the proper Fiber cable and terminators.
on November 6, 2015
Works beautifully 2 years in a row!
on October 12, 2014