Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Model: USB 3.0|Change

on September 21, 2012
Bought a 2012 MacbookAir this year. I do have the thunderbolt gigE adapter but I am using the port for the miniport display for the 24" cinema display (Yeah I am one of those mac heads, wanna fight about it? Just joking). Seriously though the adapter I needed since I can't use the thunderbolt port, and there are no thunderbolt hubs out yet. The Air is wireless as everyone knows, which is a pain. Been waiting for this adapter for quite awhile I even wrote to the guys at ASIX asking for one they told me to wait. The short of it this works well with mac but you need the driver for it. The driver included on the CD in the package is old so you might as well check for the latest from ASIX at [...] Mac is sometimes painful so I'm happy this is working well. One thing to note however. I ran a few iperf tests. Incoming connections are getting about 110MB <- megabytes/s where outbound is getting on average of 95MB. The other computers I am testing to are mac and linux both are slower machines. Is it possible the RAM buffer is just that much faster on the Air? Running the adapter on 10.7.4 haven't tried 10.8.

------> Update 8-3-14 <------

Still running great here. I have updated the driver at least once during my operation and it's been running flawlessly. I am still running this on a 2012 MacAir. I have recently purchased a second unit for LACP. I will update this review after I get it installed/setup and tested.

------> Update 8-8-14 <------

This works great with the MacAir and LACP. I have it hooked into a Netgear switch that supports LACP and into a Synology diskstation. Getting great results, pretty close to reading from a local SATA drive. I love this stuff. Can't wait for when 10 Gig comes down in price.
2020 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2013
Update: ASIX (the chip maker) has posted a new version of the driver (1.5.0) on their website that seems to work. Google "ASIX AX88179", download the driver, and follow the README. I've bumped the review up to 4 stars.

I bought this adapter to provide full gigabit ethernet support to my ultrabook that is sadly lacking a gigabit adapter. My main OS is Ubuntu, and despite both Startech and ASIX providing a Linux driver that compiles and loads, it has about 30% packet loss when pinging another system on the LAN and the driver eventually crashes. This is lame because I bought this *specifically* for its Linux support. I was using Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 and the ASIX driver v.1.4.0 and the Startech driver (1.3.0).

It works just fine on Windows.
on February 27, 2014
Works great on my 2013 11" MacBook Air, running Mavericks. This model is the first Air with USB3, so it can take full advantage of the adapter. I do see very good throughput, spiking at the maximum gigabit ethernet speed (close to 120Mb/Sec, copying from the Air SSD to a Mac Pro SSD). I do not see sustained 120Mb/sec, but rather spikes at 120Mb/sec and troughs at 70Mb/sec. All in all, it's almost as good as the Thunderbolt ethernet adapter, and it's good to have if you want to use the thunderbolt port for something else such as video out.

Be sure to download the correct drivers. Search for AX88179 mac drivers and you'll find it. The CD that came with the device is too old, and will certainly not work with Mavericks and probably won't even work with 10.7 and 10.8. There was a driver posted 2/19/2014, so if you find something older than that then search again.
on March 2, 2013
I bought this to use with my Surface Pro mainly, for when I go to customer sites to for support.

I plugged the USB into the Surface Pro and an ethernet cable into the adapter and had an ip address and on the internet straight away. Not drivers installing and zero problems.

Excellent speeds and never a problem
on June 13, 2013
I purchased this adapter for an ultrabook that has few USB 3.0 ports and no ethernet port. This device is used nearly every day (every weekday at minimum) and it has yet to let me down in the few months I've owned it. So far I haven't had any issues connecting multiple devices simultaneously e.g., running 2 external HDD's and charging an android device while also using a wired Ethernet connection.
on December 13, 2012
Real Gigabit adapter, I used with my Lenovo Yoga 13 without any trouble. Excellent shipping and the quality of the product a plus.
on October 31, 2013
When the latest version of Mac OS X (Mavericks) shipped, this stopped working. The advice from tech support was to re-install the old OS. They also said it would be several months before a new driver would be available, even though the beta had been out for developers since June.
on February 6, 2013
It is faster than the usb 2 ethernet dongle I have, and it works in Linux if you have an updated driver

You can get the driver from startech's web site
[...] and enter product USB31000S

download the drivers zip file (at the time I downloaded, it only mentioned windows and mac), unzip it, and find the linux driver dir inside.
on June 11, 2013
I was very hopeful that this nice little package would help me solve the shortage of USB ports and lack of a wired Ethernet connection on my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, it does not help. Not because it is a bad product, the product works perfectly with a Windows machine, and the USB ports worked just fine with my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, the Mac could never see the 1Gig Ethernet adapter buried inside this device.

I confirmed with tech support that this is a known problem. There is no known workaround. I had two of these, both exhibited the same problem. They claimed that sometimes they work, but both failed for me. As I said above, the USB ports appeared as proper 3.0 ports, but the built-in 1Gig Ethernet port would never appear in the device tree, so the Mac never saw the Ethernet adapter and I was unable to use it to connect to my network. So it simply became an overpriced USB 3.0 hub.

It's really too bad because it is a very nice, small and tidy package, with a decent length USB master cable and an included power supply insuring maximum power to any and all connected devices. The power adapter even includes the appropriate plug adapters for Euro and UK usage (in addition to North America).

Had the Ethernet worked I suspect I would have given it a 4 or 5 star rating.

If you need this for a Windows machine I wouldn't hesitate, but for a Mac it's probably better to pass.

BTW, it uses the ASIX USB 3.0 to 1Gig Ethernet chip to implement the Ethernet adapter, which also shows up in many of the USB 3.0 to Ethernet dongles out there. I see from the reviews that most of those occasionally require an "unplug and replug" action to get them to be recognized on a Mac -- probably an indication as to why this hub/Ethernet combo has trouble with Macs.

Back to the drawing board!
on January 11, 2013
I'm using this on a Lenovo X1 Carbon (amazing ultrabook by the way). It worked perfectly out of the box and gets GE links and is never a bottleneck. It stays in my computer bag for the times I find myself in a hotel with a wired connection and no, or spotty, wireless.