Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: StarTech.com 10/100 VDSL2 Ethernet Extender Kit over Single Pair Wire - 1km
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 21, 2012
I work for a company that deals with small business technologies. From phone systems to their networks we dabble in a lot. We recently had a client that had moved into a warehouse and needed to activate an existing data connection that was over 800 feet from our switch. We were using Cat5e cable and we thought that we might get lucky as Cat5e is only rated up to 300 feet. We tested the connection with out any type of extender and we were dropping packets like crazy. I found this StarTech Ethernet Extender which already had great reviews. We have since installed this device for our client and they are happy with the results. The installation instructions were clear and concise. There are dip switches which need to be adjusted depending on your use. We are very happy with the outcome. Hopefully it will last for years and years. The only Cons that I can see with this device is the casing is made of plastic. With devices like this I like to see a sturdy metal casing. Also, if it had wall mounting holes that would be a great help. The only reason I give it 4 stars right now, is because of the plastic casing and the lack of mounting holes.
on June 30, 2010
Great product for connecting two locations up to 1km. In my case I had two buildings over 900ft apart and this product worked for my needs. Price is a little higher than main stream networking gear but the application is specialized. Low latencies and the bandwidth appeared to be as advertised. Would use again under similar conditions.
on April 8, 2012
I first I installed the kit using an existing telephone voice pair and saw a significant drop in download speed from 25 mbps to 3.5 mbps. I called tech support, spoke to a knowledgeable person who suggested connecting the two units with an ethernet cable as a test. This produced an almost lossless connection. Finally the units were installed using a clean (unused) wire pair between two buildings about 600 feet apart with no apparent loss in speed! Bottom line: great product and support but works best using a clean wire pair.
on November 1, 2015
I have two locations here in the mountains of Tennessee. One is on a lake about 200 feet below and 1200 feet from the other. The upper location has 6 gbits/second internet. The lower location has exede satellite internet only. I tried using Ethernet between the two. Learned that Ethernet only travels 100 meters (328 feet). (Edison learned this in the 1880's which is why we have alternating current today. I learned this in the 21st century.)
So what todo? Buy a StarTech 10/100 VDSL Etender.
This device is perfect to go up to 1.5 km (4921 feet). It converts the LAN Ethernet signal to VDSL2, which appears to be a high frequency sound. To quote wikipedia "Second-generation systems (VDSL2; ITU-T G.993.2 approved in February 2006) use frequencies of up to 30 MHz to provide data rates exceeding 100 Mbit/s simultaneously in both the upstream and downstream directions. The maximum available bit rate is achieved at a range of about 300 meters; performance degrades as the loop attenuation increases."
Unfortunately, the first pair of these things I bought did not work. The VDSL2 signal just would not synch. I was using Ethernet cable I had laid before I knew about the 100 meter limit. The manufacturing company has great tech support and I learned more about Ethernet and VDSL2 than I probably ever imagine I would need to know.
Several things are important to know. First, you can use a single pair, twisted or un twisted, however a single pair wire is really hard to find for outdoor use. Wiring up an 8 twisted pair wire with an rj45 connector works great for the VDSL2 connection. I bought mine from Amazon.
Second, test two units using an ethernet patch cable, these come with most routers. This lets you test the whole system in the privacy of your own home and obviates trips between your remote location.
Third, (once the VDSL2 is shown to work) wire the ethernet connector from one of the outlets on the back of your router with an internet connector to the Ethernet port on one of the StarTech devices. All the dip switches up (this sets this one to CO central office). At the other end, set the dip switch on 1 down, all others up (this sets it to CPE customer premises equipment (how twentieth century these terms)). Wire the Ethernet patch cable to the internet side of your remote wireless router. I did not change the default settings on either wireless routers and it works flawlessly.
I now have 6 mbits/second at both locations.
Changed internet provider to Sky Tech. Now get 9.9 mbits/sec
On 2016 May 3 we had tremendous lightning and hail. My office internet went down. Remember, I was paying ~700/mos for Exede internet at both locations. Started trouble shooting. Wire appeared intact. I had bought 2 of these dices. Swapped out each. Wallah internet back up. Bought spare ser again. Really a great solution if you need internet over a few kilometers
on July 31, 2014
Wish I knew about this sooner. We had a CAT 5 cable run about 600 feet. Yes I understand you can't do that, but you can when you a have an old 10mbps hub on the other end. It actually keeps the connection! But it was slow and dropped packets too much. So I connected these up and now I have a SOLID 100mbps with just a few ms of latency. A typical ping shows 2 to 3 ms of latency and I have transferred files at over 90mbps no problem.
on March 5, 2015
I just purchased this device based on the reviews here on Amazon for a mineral/rock processing plant where I asked to find a solution to extend a network connection on just over 3000' of Cat5e underground armored cable. Integration was as simple as installing a telephone jack on each end of the circuit and landing one pair of wires (I used the Blue/White pair). I configured the devices with all the switches in the off position with the exception of the CO unit which has to have switch 1 in the On position. Once the units were plugged in they Synced within 15-20 seconds routinely after several tests and our speed tests were averaging 2 - 3 Mbps Up and Down with no drops. We were limited to the locations infrastructure and T1 circuit for the entire site so based on multiple tests I suspect that this product would be able to pass through quite a bit more data. Data rates were smooth with no signal degradation causing peaks and drops during our testing. There are other lesser priced ethernet extenders on the market which work great but none extend further than 1500'. On first impressions I would most definitely recommend and purchase this product again!

I have handed this integrated solution over to the plants IT manager to let him experiment with it further and will update this review with any additional information provided to me.
on November 23, 2015
I had an Ethernet run that was over 450 feet. It would only pass data when Ethernet ports speeds were dropped down to 10 Mbps half-duplex. Even then, I was only getting 8 Mbps on an 80 Mbps Comcast circuit.

I put a set of these devices on each end of the Ethernet run and WALLA - I had a link that was now getting 70 Mbps downstream. A simply no brainer solution. I wouldn't think twice about ordering this again, should I have a long Ethernet run.

I would buy these again in a heartbeat.

My only comment. I wish they made units that can support 1GB service (I could not find any device by any manufacturer - that can provide 1 GB service - even at 500 feet).

I would buy these again in a heartbeat.
on January 17, 2012
Installed this product to support an ethernet connection over 800 feet of CAT6. It only uses one pair of copper in the bundle. Checked the DIP switches per instructions (one for base, the other for remote), plugged it in and it worked as advertised. It's been reliable for five months now.
on October 11, 2013
Am using these to repeat LAN over 1800ft through direct burial cat5 cable. Only 1 twisted pair (2 wires) is needed for communication. Currently have them set to 10Mbps which covers the source speed. They also work fine at 100Mbps at that range, but 10 was all that was needed.

The boxes are ABS plastic and not water/moisture proof. The only complaint is that the power plug is on the opposite side of the LAN connectors and LEDs. This isn't optimal when routing cables, but also is not a show-stopper.
on April 15, 2015
This extender delivers exactly what it promises. My particular situation was that I wanted to connect some IP security cameras about 500 feet from my house which exceeds the normal ~300ft limit of Ethernet. I used these extenders bridge the gap between the house and a POE switch at the remote location that connects 4 cameras to my network.

The connection itself is completely transparent to the network. There is no configuration required other than making sure the four DIP switches are set correctly (they came out of the box correct for me) and then just plug and play. When I plugged in the second box at the remove location, it took about 5 to 10 seconds to establish the connection but once up it was solid and fast with no noticeable latency. My particular application looks something like this:

Internet -> Modem -> Router -> StarTech Extender -> 500ft of Cat 5e in Conduit -> StarTech Extender -> POE Switch -> IP Camera

The extender is EASILY handling all four camera feeds at about 4mbps per each (16mbps total) with no problems. When I use an app to view the cameras on my phone, they pop right up in seconds. I am confident that the extenders are in no way a bottleneck in terms of speed and latency for this application.

This is the perfect device for connecting a home network to a remote location like a barn, detached garage, or IP cameras at a remote location on your property in circumstances where the distance is greater than 300ft.

No comment on how long they last as I'm only a week in but the connection has been 100% reliable in that period of time.