Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on July 31, 2010
As a top ten rank in Platinum League, I still have a lot to learn from this guide. I'm thrilled at all the new things I haven't known in my best & only race. The book is protected in beautiful hardcover, and I'm surprised that every page is in color with bunch of pictures and demonstrations, which I didn't expect (I thought 400+ pages is too much for color). If you are truly a Starcraft fan, I would suggest you add this to your interest's collection. The quality and effort put into composing this guide is enormous. And even if you feel that you have mastered the game and don't need to learn anything new, it is always good to skim through and read other Starcraft Pros' strategies to see what are other tricks of play is out there.
I would highly recommend this strategy guide to every Starcraft fan, especially when it's sold for only $20 on Amazon ($35 everywhere else).
on August 29, 2010
This is a great strategy guide, it not only listed everything you needed to know to make it through the single player missions successfully it really helped me out personally with ideas on how I should start my games when it came to multiplayer online play. This guide alone has helped me improve my skill in gameplay of Starcraft 2 for single player and even for multiplayer. The fact it helped me improve in my multiplayer play is impressive to me. Most guides don't help with that. It offered a lot of great starting ideas and tricks to key and command usage I was not aware of and it made me all that better.

In my opinion this is a great guide and I recommend it to anyone who loves this game, or is new to it and needs some pointers to give them that edge in multiplayer.
on August 3, 2010
This guide has a lot of great information. The analysis of the three races and their strengths and weaknesses actually proved insightful and pointed out some overall strategic issues I was not aware of.

The production values are high, the images look great, and the bonus map guide that comes shrink-wrapped with the special edition is pretty keen.

My big issue with the guide is that it is getting its information from one of the last patches of the SC2 beta. According to this guide, Overseers create Infested Terrans, Infestors have Frenzy, and so on. I have not gone through the guide with a fine toothed comb, but those obvious throwbacks to the last patch of the beta stood out.

So, the guide is good... BUT... don't overly trust it every detail of every unit - double check a SC2 wiki, perhaps.

In general, however, I see this as a problem with the video/pc game development cycle, but Brady Games seems to hit this stumbling block a bit more often than Prima.

A mild blight on an otherwise excellent guide.
on August 21, 2010
Its a good guide and much nicer than the regular version and will easily show you how to beat the game and has a lot of multi player info. I was only upset that the single player strategy did not cover how to get all three achievements for each mission. This is frustrating for the hard level achievements where some tips would be truly useful. I have no problem beating this game without the book on normal difficulty and did so, but knowing better strategies to get all the single player achievement would have been much better, I'll think twice before buying this with the next addition to the trilogy...
on July 28, 2010
I want to start off by saying that this is just an early impression. I received this guide on July 26th, and Starcraft II on July 27th, so this is my review based on my experience thus far and I'll update this as needed.

First off: the limited edition guide. As far as I can tell: it's the same content as the regular version. But the quality here is great. The book feels substantial, the binding is good, and the pages are not flimsy. The book is bright and colorful - it's fun just to thumb through. The a-frame that includes the multiplayer maps is an excellent addition. It's not quite as solid as the hardcover book (obviously) but it's decently made, and should offer a good deal of assistance, especially in the early days of the game as players get to learn the layouts of the maps. I think the limited edition guide makes a great companion with the game, especially for the price Amazon is selling it at (as of July 28th.)

The guide itself contains plenty of information. The Starcraft II manual is practically non-existent. If you want unit write-ups on paper, you won't get them from the game manual, but you will get them here. In addition there is a section of general tips (perfect if you're new to RTS's, Starcraft, or are a lapsed player), a campaign walkthrough, multiplayer tips, unit breakdowns, select maps, achievement lists, and a guide to [...], among other things.

I've used the campaign walk through a little bit. It's great being able to see what achievements are available for a given mission, and their requirements, before you begin playing. While I haven't gotten stuck yet, I'm sure if I was, this guide would be able to get me out, as it is fairly detailed and includes plenty of pictures and maps. Is this necessary? I doubt it. If you find Starcraft II taxing, you can always lower the difficulty. Plus the game includes an abundance of in game information and tutorials.

If you want a great companion to the game, you're new to the genre or series, or you just like having a wealth of information on paper, then I can't recommend this guide enough.
on July 26, 2010
I got the StarCraft 2 L.E. Strategy Guide today via FedEx, The shiping was amazing. I have read thru a few of the Missions in the guide and looked over the A-frame Multi-player map stand. The guide it self is well designed it is like most guides you buy, but the art work detail and information on each mission is above any other. From the first mission for the terrens to the Zerg you will know what to do and how to defend your land and rage a war that would make Alaxander the great jealus.

The A-frame Multi-player map display is almost a cheat guide it is so detailed and beautiful, you get all 50 maps that are released with StarCraft 2: Wing's of Liberty. You will be able to strike like a laser thru the fog and cut your enemy down. This is a must have if you are a StarCraft elite or a new recrut to the fight.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2010
I preordered the StarCraft II game and this strategy guide for my husband last week and it said we could expect the guide on 7/29. My husband was as giddy as a schoolgirl when it arrived today instead. Can't believe how fast the shipping was and it was great for him to be able to start looking through and getting more excited (if possible) for the game to come tomorrow. When I told him the price I paid for it, he wasn't expecting a hardcover book. He was very impressed, and his non-gamer wife ended up looking like superwoman. The map supplemental was just another cool bonus. Nice work Amazon!
on September 28, 2010
I'll make this quick and easy.

If you have the extra cash, buy this instead of the standard version. IT is very detailed, from the single campaign to multi-player to every unit status. This book will definitely help an average player with Starcraft 2. To put it lightly this is basically a TEXTBOOK for starcraft dummies or junkies
The best part about this guide is of course the multiplayer aspect. The guide is very informative about it and tells you from point to point how to success on the battlenet. From building, economy, scouting, raiding, defense, expanding, unit matchups, and more.
You also get advice and tips from Pro elite sc2 gamers like Whitera (PROTOSS), Garimtoi, Live Hydralisk, and Mondragon TOT (ZERG).

The bad part:
-Being limited edition you would think it won't have any mistakes but it DOES. I went thru the guide it has some bad mistakes on the single campaign guide. The achievements for certain missions were wrong.
For example: A sinister turn hard is completing the mission in under 25 minutes but the guide says under 20 minutes. Also SAFE HAVEN the game says saving 3 outposts on normal and 2 for hard but the the guide says save 4 for normal and 3 for hard. Just little typo or fact mistakes like that.
-some of the units status has some mistakes too like the guide says void rays does extra damage to armored units which it DOES NOT in the game. Banshees doing extra damage to armord units which also it DOES NOT do in the game. Very strange when you see this.
-The guide should of been helpful if they gave some hints on how to beat HARD difficulty missions which it does NOT.

But all in all it is a great guide to have and you will spend many hours like me sitting in the toilet going thru every detail. Kinda like what Cartman did in south park in that MAKE love not warcraft episode.
Hope my review helps! Good luck and have fun!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2010
This review is for the Starcraft II LE Strategy Guide. I usually buy guides for games that I enjoy, and love a good deal. I was able to get this guide from Amazon and it was definitely worth the price! First off, the game is one of the most anticipated sequels of all time, and this guide covers the complete campaign in full color with beautiful maps. The guide feels like a high school yearbook, with a thick fully printed cover, and glossy pages throughout. But that's only half of the guide. The second half of the guide deals with the multiplayer aspect of the game. This is a game that is played professionally all around the world, and the strategy of the game has been compared to chess. These professionals chime in on the game and offer tips for various strategies, and the three different races that are used in multiplayer. In addition to strategy tips straight from the pros, the guide also shows all of the different models/techs that can be used by the various races, and all of the relevant stats.

Perhaps the most amazing part of the Starcraft II LE Strategy Guide though is the included multiplayer maps. Separate from the guide is a mini guide that has the fifty multiplayer maps each on their own page. The mini book doubles as an A frame stand so as to provide easy access when you are playing online. It can be a huge advantage to a player.

If there was ever a game that the average player needed this guide it is this game! The instruction manual to the game basically only covers the backstory of the original game. The LE Strat Guide comes with the map book, and it is actually a limited item. It's a must own for Starcraft fans, imo it offers a better deal than the LE of the actual game.
on August 18, 2010
Very nice guide. It really explains everything from getting started, single player campaign strategies, all the way to multiplayer strats with tips from pros like Mondragon!