First of all, the packaging for the blu-ray set is simple. A small cardboard case with two thick plastic cases containing the first four seasons, and a thinner, four disc case for season five.

Published on July 26, 2011 by J. Hollingshead

2.0 out of 5 stars The show is amazing... this set is not.
EDIT: This review is for the DVD version of this set only, NOT the Bluray version. I've heard that the Bluray version is much better.

Published on October 18, 2009 by ryan@atlantis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set, plenty of extra features, and excellent audio/video quality, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

After viewing a few of the episodes, I can honestly say the video quality is superb. The colors are bright and vivid and SGA hasn't ever looked this good. I had bought the "Fan's Choice" blu-ray with three episodes, and it's safe to say the rest of the series has been transferred to high-def just as well.

The audio is to be expected, 5.1 DTS and I haven't noticed anything I could complain about.

There are too many special features to list, but there are more than pretty much any other boxset I've owned. Quite frankly it will take me months to listen to all the audio commentaries and featurettes, deleted scenes, and interviews. However, I believe they are all the same ones included in the DVD release so if you plan on upgrading to the blu-ray from the DVD set, you're paying for the higher resolution episodes, that's it.

Just a note, the special features are all in standard definition, so keep that in mind. Personally, I'm fine with that since all I care about are the actual episodes being in HD, but it's still something worth mentioning.

Highly recommended, the price alone is worth seeing SGA in such excellent quality and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the set if you're even thinking about it.

2.0 out of 5 stars The show is amazing... this set is not., October 18, 2009
ryan@atlantis (the panhandle of Nebraska) - See all my reviews

Before I begin I would like to point out that this review and star rating is for this set and its packaging ONLY. The show itself is great and would get a 7 out of 5 stars from me, but before your mouth starts watering over the "Collector's Edition", hear me out.

Pros: The outside package and photos used are nice and add something you wouldn't get by buying the seasons individually. The episodes "Vegas" and "Enemy at the Gate" come in both the extended versions and broadcast versions. There is a bonus disc that has two featurettes that come only with this Complete Series set.

Cons: Where do I begin? I was appalled to find some of the discs were scratched and has smudges on them (most notably the season one discs and the bonus disc). One disc had errors, even though there were no apparent scratches on it. The 26 disc are divided up into seasons, and those individual seasons are housed in thick glossy paper with slits in it for the discs. The discs are supposed to be held in by rubber knobs... it was very hard to get the discs onto these knobs, and when you pulled a disc off of one, sometimes little pieces of the knob would come off with it and the knob would often smudge the disc. The Season One folder would ALWAYS catch on a tab just inside the packaging when you pull out the "drawer" to get a disc (a way around this is to lay down the season one folder on it's side; the rest can stay upright).

Although this isn't really a pro or con, I was a little disappointed that they reused the discs put into the individual season sets. The discs still mention the volume numbers, which don't apply in the complete set; this is confusing to some. I thought they (the people who designed this) would take more pride in their product than they apparently did.

So, to summarize, Stargate Atlantis is a great show that everyone should see and consider investing into all five seasons... but you'll need to be a very patient and sympathetic person to be satisfied with this set.

P.S. - This isn't an isolated incident... I put in an order for an exchange and the new set had almost identical problems. (It should be noted that, as of yet, Amazon has been good to work with.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good series, terrible packaging, October 15, 2009
D (Seattle) - See all my reviews
So I like the series, and I'm enjoying it right now. The problem I have was with the packaging. If you bought the complete SG-1 series, it came in two large foldout cases of something to the effect of glossy cardboard. Roughly 3 of the disks were damaged and some episodes wouldn't play. You can see a lot of message boards talking of similar problems.
The Atlantis set takes the poor planning a step further. It is broken up by season, but uses the same glossy paper, and now a hard gel-ish holder for the middle of the disc which is both unnecessary and annoying. I don't know if any of the discs are damaged yet, but if I leave them in the current case, they likely will become as such soon.

Save yourself A LOT of headache and buy a CD/DVD case at the same time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Manufacturing of DVD's, October 21, 2009
Travis (Kentucky, USA) - See all my reviews
I had already seen most of the TV series, it's great, no complains on it. I'm a huge SG fan and have the full 10 season SG-1 set as well, in addition to the DVD release movies.

The disks are in bad shape, I noticed scratches on some but they played fine. Got to 3rd disk, and it had defects so bad it was unwatchable. I'm in the process of sending it back now, hope my replacement is in better shape but I don't have my hopes up.

Packaging looks nice, but as others mentioned it's not handy for using the disks, the gel center holders make it hard to get the disks in and out.

I'll edit in any further issues I come across, hopefully the replacement will be better. Quality control utterly failed somewhere in the manufacturing process of these disks. I heard similar complains about my SG-1 disk set, but the one I got was fine, maybe eventually I will get a second run of sets with better quality standards eventually.

EDIT: Got replacement set, these don't appear to be as bad as the others, but still some scratches. 1st Season seems to be the worst, however I have not found a disk that does not play well yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE. DO NOT BUY. DISCS DO NOT WORK--HORRIBLE PACKAGING, June 21, 2010
First off, let me say I love Stargate (all versions) and am not rating the quality of the program. I am rating the quality of this dvd set. And it is HORRIBLE. MANY of my discs did not play properly. At first I thought that it was simply my computer's software, so I tried other programs. Then I tried other computers. I even put the discs into different stand alone DVD players. The same problems happened everywhere. From the start, when the DVDs were burned at their factory, they must have made mistakes because when I looked at the bottom of the DVDs, there were no scratches or irregularities. The dvds would stop playing in certain spots, and the menus would not function properly.

As far as packaging, it was TERRIBLE. When you buy complete series sets, you expect a level of quick, cheap packaging, and you have to know that they are not going to encase every DVD in its own jewel case or wrapping; that's fine as far as I'm concerned. But with these Atlantis sets, I'm shocked at how foolishly they were packed. The main issue is that in every cardboard DVD slit (where you slide the disc into to hold it) they placed a rubber like knob for extra sturdiness. The attempt, I'm assuming, is to fit perfectly into the hole at the center of the DVD so that the disc is safe. The EXACT OPPOSITE occurs. When they place the DVDs into the rubber holes, they scratched MANY of the DVDs. When you attempt to remove the disc from the rubber holder, YOU scratch the DVD on accident. If you're lucky enough not to scratch the DVD (a technique I had to figure out after three seasons), you almost always are faced with rubber residue from the rubber knobs that gets stuck on the DVD. If you don't wipe it off, the dvd plays even more erratically. So when wiping, BE CAREFUL. Use a soft cloth, because if you don't, you'll scratch the disc. I ended up ripping off the rubber holder in every box to avoid having these problems in case I ever want to watch the discs again. If you decide to do this, make sure to put some smooth scotch tape over the area where you rip, because when you rip off the rubber knob, the tear of the cardboard will also scratch your disc when you return it to the slit. By putting the piece of scotch tape over the rip, you'll make it nice and smooth for the dvd to rest.

I thought purchasing directly from amazon.com as the seller would be a safe bet, but it was NOT. To summarize:

-Discs are burned improperly - even if you find no scratches on the bottom of the discs, they do not play correctly, regardless of how many players (both computers and stand alone dvd players) you use

-Most discs come scratched

-The packaging is EXTREMELY POOR and ruins the discs further

I recommend everyone to read ALL reviews on this product. You'll find that even the positive reviews talk about the same issues I mentioned. When I first read them, I thought "this will never happen to me." But it DID! (I read that someone else wrote the exact same thing, but still, I thought 'this will never happen to me.'). In any case, I recommend buying the separate DVD sets season by season from some place like Best Buy. They are considerably more expensive, but honestly, it's your only real choice. If you buy these DVDs, you'll never even get to watch them. I read another's review, and he said that he sent his dvd set back to amazon countless times, only to find the same problems with EVERY set he received. After returning 5 times, he finally mixed and matched enough to get a working set. That's just plain ridiculous. I'm very disappointed with this and will probably never buy directly from amazon again. Good luck with your purchase, and I really do recommend buying this series, just not this set. It's a very entertaining show.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please Heed our Advice!, April 3, 2010
If you're like me, you've read a lot of reviews of this box set and thought "It won't happen to me". Please, DO NOT PURCHASE THIS BOX SET!

Please understand, my rating is for the product, not the show, as SGA is one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time! This box set, however, is awful, at best!

1) The packaging - I'm not sure what drunken 2nd grader thought it would be a good idea to put the seasons in a large box that would not hold them in place in any way. They are free to slide from one side of the box to the other... Not good when you're trying to protect DVDs. Then there's the individual season packaging. This gives a new definition to "WTF!?" since they are not held in place by the little pieces of plastic which has been used since the beginning of CDs... No, those are replaced with some weird piece of plastic which ensures that once the disc has been taken out of the package, it will NEVER go back in place!

2) The DVDs - I'm taking an educated guess that the plant that made the DVDs is either: a) A place where they play a lot of football using the discs as the ball; b) Every piece of equipment they have in the plant is lined with steel wool. Why? Because more of the discs that I received were scratched than the discs I received which were not scratched. Sorry, but this is a little maddening when you're in the middle of a great episode only to have it skip!

I thought about sending it back and getting a replacement, but I realized something: The people writing these reviews were right, therefore I could play a sick game of Send & Receive with Amazon for months... So I just decided to go to Best Buy and get the seasons individually.

Do yourself a favor: Follow suit...

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly manufactured discs, November 26, 2009
I ordered this set and checked the discs after reading the other reviews. Not a single disc in the first 2 seasons was in good condition. Like others have said this product is poorly packaged and there is no way to get the discs out with running the risk of scratching them even more. Returned it and got another set with the exact same problem. Ended up returning the set again and just buying all the seasons separately. The packaging on the individual seasons is much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad quality manufacturing and packaging, April 12, 2011
Amazon should drop this product and its Stargate SG-1 twin; they are more likely to be a far greater liability than a source of income for them.

Do not get me wrong, I am a very big Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG-1 fan, but this is review of the product and not of the series.

I made the mistake of purchasing this product along with the similarly made and packaged Complet Stargate SG-1 Collection. Both were severely disappointing. Before purchasing either I had read many reviews on them both and decided the price was worth the risk. I was wrong. Many of the reviews I read complained about the packaging but said nothing about the manufacturing of the disks themselves. When I purchased them I also purchased cases to transfer them into in order to avoid the packaging problem. Unfortunately the real problem is with the poor manufacturing of the disks themselves. On inspection no less than 1 out of 5 disks was pitted or whorled, both of which are manufacturing defects that can render a disk unreadable, and both of which disk cleaning or resurfacing will not address. Fortunately Amazon was willing to take both back and give me a refund. But it was still a cause of stress and frustration, and I now I have 100 cases that have no purpose.

I would very strongly advise against purchasing either. If you want the series, be willing to pay more for a properly manufactured and packaged collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars FIXING READ ERRORS YOURSELF, March 31, 2012
Samantha "Sam" (HARRISONBURG, VA, US) - See all my reviews
First I'd like to say the series is great for any fan. I read some reviews before buying. yes the packaging sucks, but i took some advice and peeled of the foam knobs and put tape on them so as not to scratch the discs further. anyways to get to the point of this review. Most if not all people said they got read errors on more than one of the discs. to repair this all you need is a CD doctor kit. if you don't want to spend the money on a kit you may use EXPO dry erase board cleaner OR lens cleaner for glasses. spray the CD with either and let it sit for a minute. then take a soft cloth and wipe gently. wait for it to dry completely before using the CD. this DOES NOT make the scratches disappear but it does fix the problem. its better than sending the set back 3 or 4 times to get a complete set without errors.this set gets 3 stars for being a great show and as someone who has not yet stepped up to Blu Ray, I'd rather have this complete set than the individual seasons. I hope this helps anyone who takes the time to read :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Another train wreck from MGM, with Amazon making it even worse, October 14, 2010
Well, it's not as bad as the SG-1 collection. Half the DVDs look like they've been through a world war. Only one unreadable out of the whole set, which isn't as bad as I was expecting (my SG-1 experience showed about a 25% defect rate). Still, there's no excuse for them selling products in this condition.

To make matters worse, Amazon seems to think that shipping a cardboard DVD set in a book mailer is acceptable packaging. The problem is that book mailers are designed for---you guessed it---books. Things that are HARD. Things that inherently cannot be crushed. Book mailers have soft, curved sides on all four sides so that they can accommodate books of varying sizes and shapes, and they depend on the book to provide the structural integrity.

What happens when you pack a box of DVDs in such packaging, you ask? The first one arrived badly crushed. I complained about it and asked for a replacement. They shipped the replacement in the SAME INADEQUATE PACKAGING. It, too, arrived crushed. I'm trying to work through the process to get a proper replacement shipped in something that actually qualifies as a cardboard box, but until Amazon fixes their packaging, I would strongly advise people to NOT buy this product from Amazon.

Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] by Ken Girotti (Blu-ray - 2011)
$199.99 $77.90