5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome home Atlantis
Published on September 3, 2011 by Shane Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad beginning...
Published on December 15, 2010 by Lisa

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad beginning..., December 15, 2010
Lisa (Conway, South Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming: SGA-16 (Mass Market Paperback)
I've spent the last few months looking forward to STARGATE ATLANTIS: HOMECOMING with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Having finished the book last night, what did I think of it? I'm not completely sure. I didn't hate it but, I didn't love it either. With HOMECOMING the first in a series of what is essentially a virtual 6th season of the show, the authors obviously had more on their plate and more at stake. The basic premise of the story is fine and I have no problem with it so far (and I don't want to spoil it for those who are waiting to read it). The Atlantis team has one hell of a political battle in front of them where Atlantis is concerned and *if* it'll be allowed to return to the Pegasus galaxy. But can they really leave the residents of Pegasus to deal with the Wraith on their own?

Sheppard and Teyla shippers (like myself) are going to love this book. McShep and Sparky fans are going to want to throw it across the room. Same for those who liked the budding relationship between Ronon and Amelia Banks as it is never mentioned at all. The authors seem to be reviving the Ronon/Keller/McKay triangle that was so unpopular with the fans while the show was on-air. Keller also gets way too much "screen-time" in my opinion for a character that generally wasn't well received.

For the first book of a series it was pretty good. I read it quickly though I felt it jumped from A to B to C far too much trying to cram as much as possible in to set up the plot for the next book. And with the prospect of an Atlantis movie still possible (I'll hold out hope for one more year before I consider it completely dead) I'm not quite sure where to categorize these books in my head. All in all, while I can't say it was a Miss, I can't say it was an out of the ballpark hit, either. Maybe my opinion will change with book two of the series. We'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome home Atlantis, September 3, 2011
Being a longtime fan of the Stargate franchise and a viewer that has thousands of hours watching the episodes over and over, I was heartbroken to learn of the Atlantis' series cancellation and the fact that no movies would be made. That being said I was excited to learn that Fandemonium was continuing the series in literary form and that books were being written in both pre-earth finale and post-earth finale eras. Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming is the first installment of the post-earth finale books that depicts the events after the series endgame.

>>>SOME SPOILERS<<<

The first 150 pages deals with the power struggles between the IOA, foreign leadership and the US military as the three fight for the future of Atlantis. Meanwhile, the people of Atlantis troubled by the fact that Atlantis will not be returning to the Pegasus galaxy begin to quit their positions. After time goes on and the powers continue to struggle for Atlantis it is finally decided to release Atlantis from its Earthly chains and return it to its homeworld.

Returning to the Pegasus galaxy proves difficult as the war damage from the Earth battle keeps the city from returning to its original second home and forces it to land on a new planet, one that is not so kind to its new inhabitants. After its return the crew learn of a new danger spearheading its way upon the human populations. A new threat from the wraith that does not cull but destroys instead.

>>>SPOILERS END<<<

I found the writing to be smooth and well done, along with the story overall. The events that take place are compelling and carefully thought out. The authors have a close understanding of each character and catch their personalities and attitudes very well. Reading the book is almost like viewing an episode as the dialogue and actions of each character are almost as they were on screen.

There were a few minor areas I thought could have been done a little better. Ronan's relationship with Amelia Banks was nowhere to be found, there was a little to much swearing for my taste and the events surrounding the city in San Francisco harbor could have been portrayed a little better. But overall the book was pretty darn good. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next installment.

All Feedback is Appreciated. Thanks and good Reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't start this series., June 24, 2013
As a huge Stargate Atlantis fan, I spent a lot of time looking forward to this book. I was heavily disappointed.

The plot is very slow. Having read both this book and the next in series I have to say they could have easily been condensed into one book... and the loss of scenes would have been an improvement. For those who are fans of the male characters (Sheppard in particular) do not get caught up in this series. There is massive emphasis on the female characters while the males (with the exception of Ronon) are poorly portrayed. To put it bluntly, I barely recognised John Sheppard.

To make things worse, the author has embraced the Sheppard/Teyla relationship, and done it badly. In the interactions between the two, Teyla's character also disappears into the fog. This gets worse as the series goes along.

Please note that although Jack O'Neil is on the front cover he plays a very small part, this didn't bother me as I am primarily a Stargate Atlantis fan, but if you are mainly a Stargate SG-1 fan; you have been warned.

There are some plot points that are enjoyable, but too few. The series is six books long and while the last book is the best, the ending is unsatisfying. Don't read this book because you will find yourself reading a six book series which you are not interesting in finishing.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Pairing is Chosen For You, March 18, 2012
The story is... okay. I can't say as I agree with the Wraith naming system; it seems a little too 13-year-old girl to me. The characters and the motivations behind them are believable, however.

My major gripe with this series: It's John/Teyla (a.k.a Jeyla). One of the things I liked about Stargate Atlantis the series was that there were SEVERAL pairing options available due to the fine work of the actors. If a fan didn't like one pairing, there were others to pick and choose from.

With this story, the pairing is chosen for you and it is not one I ship. That alone is enough to throw off my enjoyment of the book - but that is my personal opinion. For those of you who ship Jeyla, this series will probably entertain you quite a bit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, February 3, 2011
I was eagerly looking forward to this book. The premise of the storyline was promising. However, while the overall storyline was interesting, there were a few things that annoyed me and made my enjoyment of the book somewhat less than I had hoped for. First off, and probably somewhat nickpicky: the author kept calling Richard Woolsey "Dick". He was never refered to as Dick on the show except once: by himself in a moment of embarassment. Second, I am not, and never will be a Sheppard/Teyla shipper. That whole storyline seemed to distract from the overall story. And way too much Keller and not enough O'Neill. And dredging up that whole McKay/Keller/Ronan stuff was unnecessary. On the whole, I was very disappointed and don't think that I will continue with the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Ended Better than it Started, January 5, 2011
I like the concept of Homecoming--it begins a series of books aimed at providing fans with a version of what the show could have looked like if it had a 6th season on the air. I liked how the team went into action against the Wraith near the end. I liked how O'Neill and Carter played a role in things, and for Carter the possibility of her re-appearance in future books in this series will be a natural development based on how she was used here. The characters, especially Shepherd, had a decent sense of humor. The interactions between Shepherd and Todd were especially well done.

However, there were some frustrating things. We're given a dramatic scene with the city traveling through space at the beginning of the book that didn't seem that dramatic at all. Then, the authors turn back the clock a few weeks, and the characters dither over whether or not they'll get to return to the Pegasus galaxy. Well, there was no mystery for the reader--that was established at the beginning. A lot of time is spent exploring the feelings of the characters, even minor ones. Such introspection is not really what the series was based on. Shepherd and Teyla go to Rodney McKay to talk about their feelings, and he encourages them with his gentle, loving, and sage advice. Seriously? Are we in an alternate universe here? There was way too much Beckett and Zelenka, but they were integral to the series, so I guess that's just a personal gripe. However, since O'Neill was on the cover of the book, I expected that he would play a big role all the way through. I was disappointed that this wasn't the case. And Lorne was basically treated like an extra, which wasn't consistent with the role he played on the series.

All in all, the first part of this book frustrated me. But the back half really did get better, so maybe that bodes well for the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and flowing, but bogus., July 26, 2013
T. Catranis (Schuylkill Haven, PA) - See all my reviews
Homecoming was an interesting book. I was satisfied at how well I could follow the character flow and imagine the characters. Many of the lines did seem to reflect nicely the characters as I learned them.

The development of the history and characters during the first third of the book was not a disappointment. I rather enjoyed reading sensible and involved character histories that made logical sense and held my interest. The character development does nicely leave room for future growth.

That's where the book turned to a frustrating list of very bogus stories.

** Be warned, THE FOLLOWING WILL CONTAIN SEVERAL SPOILERS TO THE STORY.

Amazingly again, we find three ZPM's surprisingly become drained almost empty. Really? These things are suppose to be such a great power source, and yet continuously the "Atlantis" story calls for an unbelievable draining of the ZPM's. And, haven'y we seen that before, and before...?

Some day it would be incredibly fascinating to to actually have the technology work. I would love to read that book.

Making an agreement with the Genii????

Planning and deciding to fight at a stargate against incoming Wraith made no sense. There must be a hundred very obvious alternates every reading could imagine when reading that portion. And when you add in the planning, techniques and foolish outcome, you get a confused reader. That makes absolutely no sense at all. It is down right frustrating.

I will not read the second book ( there obviously must be a second book considering the ending). I know that many syfi books are littered with at least some ridiculous or frustrating words. But I personally dislike the direction the book is traveling.

That being said, there are likely some readers that will see the story quite differently.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?, August 9, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this book. The narrative shows great craftsmanship in that the writer is a master of telling the story through dialogue instead of third person narrative. Unfortunately, nothing seems to ever happen for pages and pages...
I grew weary of endless dialogue about inner turmoil. More action is needed between these internal dialogues and they could be trimmed a bit to make a tight, exciting plot. I have high hopes for the author and hope the next one will have a tight plot and less endless character angst.

5.0 out of 5 stars SGA Rides Again!, January 16, 2011
I really enjoyed this novel.

It picks up directly after the end of the series and could easily have been an episode or two. It does start off a little slow with all the realistic political bickering but once General O'Neill plays his hand the story picks right up. Lots of little plot threads that seemed to be forgotten in the episodes are expanded upon here. Characters that seemed forgotten by the show writers appear again too. Questions I saw asked online by fans were also answered. (Like what happened to Chuck, Sora, Kaanan, Torren, Dr. Kusinagi and others.)

Personally, I thought the characters sounded like themselves and Rodney, in particular, came out much more rounded and likeable than in several other SGA novels. All of the Team characters had time on screen as did many others.

As a set up for a longer series this novel was a solid foundation that made me look forward to the rest of the books.

It had an ending that made me really want to find out what happens next. For me, this one was definitely worth the money and I could tell the authors watch the show by the little things they included.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 15, 2012
I was excited to see new SGA books being published and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. However, after reading, I really wish that there had been a different author and that Jo Graham would keep her fanfiction unofficial. I don't watch SGA or read the novels for romance. It's disappointing because the writing is proficient and the handle on the characters is better than some, however it doesn't read like an official SGA novel to me. If you're a John/Teyla shipper, you'll might love this book. If you're not, you might just end up hating it.

Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming: SGA-16
Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming: SGA-16 by Melissa Scott (Mass Market Paperback - January 16, 2011)
Used & New from: $10.28