Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 29, 2005
I am currently reading Sally Malcolm's novelization of the Stargate Atlantis pilot episode, "Rising". I am a huge fan of this show and, therefore, very particular about the way the characters are portrayed in stories. I am finding that Ms. Malcolm has a very good grasp of the characters from the show. She writes them well and has, as far as I've read, kept the characters true to the premise of the tv show. She also has added some wonderful insights into the characters that would help explain the story to those readers who are not as familiar with the tv show. I would definitely recommend this book and I also hope that Sally Malcolm will write more Atlantis novels!
on March 17, 2006
I love Stargate Altantis, the show is smart and fun. The novelization of the pilot "Rising" is just the same. There are wonderful "inside their heads" moments for almost every character. This book is a quick, fun read, with lovely color photos in the center of the book.

The book is true to the script, which means that certain scenes are played out in a slightly different order than you see them in the aired pilot. Some lines are spoken by different people so that might be a little jarring if you've watched it as many times as I have. There are a few very good scenes that are not in the show that are in this book that I really liked.

So if you like novelizations, I hightly recommend this one. If you've never read one, this would be a good one to get. And if you've never seen SG-Atlantis, who knows, it might peek your interest in a really well made show.
on October 18, 2013
this book is one of the best. also, the stargate atlantis books were written in between the episodes so you get to follow the team. i hope the authors write more stargate atlantis books. i am reading Exogenesis, i've read all the books and the legacy books. i don't know what i'm going to do when i finish my last book.
on February 25, 2016
Rising is the initial story about the Stargate discovery of Atlantis, and was used as one of the TV episodes. There are a few differences between the book and the TV showing because of filming some of the scenes. However fans of the series will instantly rediscover the thrills the team had making their way to a new galaxy.

The Ancients left a clue for others to find in a place which over millennia became buried under miles of snow and ice, after a recent huge showdown with Apothis the Stargate team had discovered and made use of the weapons to save Earth. Now they want to find out more and the scientists have moved in. Two people have shown they have the Ancient gene which allows them to use the technology.

Daniel Jackson knows he's on the verge of a giant historical occasion as he works to understand the gate address of the Atlantis home world. By chance Jack O'Neill brings along a young pilot whilst visiting the Antarctica site and when he is drawn to the Ancient chair they discover he also has the gene to work the technology.

Elizabeth Weir persuades Jack to let them go ahead with the mission to Atlantis, her team include; Lietenant Ford, John Sheppard, Dr Carson Beckett and Dr Rodney McKay, all names who will play a major role in the Stargate Atlantis episodes.

Fans will remember that when the team arrive on Atlantis, their first bumbling explorations in the city drain it of it's last ounces of energy. They go out in search of a new power source, finding Teyla Emmagan and her people and waking up the fearful Wraith from their sleep.

The TV episode were played in two parts, but here in this book you get them all in one story. It was good to go back to the beginning of the Atlantis timeline and revisit how it all began.

This review is based on a free copy of the book given to me by the author.
on February 26, 2007
The Stargate fan novels are very true to the characters and are the equivalent to watching an episode on SCI FI, only in most cases better. Some of the books are just new adventures written by fans, good, but not great. While others are Great adventures where the author actually expands on the depth of the character and team, fills in gaps that us fans have always thought or guessed about. So far all the SG-1 books have had Jack in them, not Cam. I am using this as a generic review for all the books rather than risk spoiling anything in the stories. I have watched all episodes in the series (both SG-1 and SG-A), heck I own every published season, and as much as I hate to admit it I have seen every episode at least twice, in short, I am a Stargate nut. I have purchased all books written in the SG-1 and SG-A series, though not all of them through Amazon due to availability. Sometimes the shipping takes a long time since they are published in the U.K.
on March 28, 2008
Interesting if you're a fan of TV's Stargate Atlantis. Its just a novelization of the pilot episode... just in print. There are maybe a few insights and thoughts from the characters, but otherwise its pretty much word for word with what was on TV.
on May 6, 2006
My purpose is not to tell the storyline, but to let you know about buying this book from Amazon.com. I purchased Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis Fandemonium Books published in the UK using both E-bay and Amazon.com services. Both ways worked fine for me. I prefer using Amazon.com. Just a note, though. If you order from Amazon.com, your order might take longer than the initial estimate (especially if you order books not published yet). My order took about six weeks, but that was OK with me. I preferred waiting on Amazon.com rather than trying to buy from the UK and paying a high price on the exchange and shipping rates. So, I recommend using Amazon.com (United States) and waiting (if you have to). As for the book, it was fine. Like other fans, I've watched the pilot Rising so many times, there were no surprises in the book for me, but if you have not seen the pilot episode of Stargate Atlantis, this is a must-read. There was one funny scene in the book that made me laugh out loud that was cut from the pilot episode (has to do with Teyla taking Sheppard on the hike to the cave). Whoever wrote about the Power Bar had a huge sense of humor. I really enjoyed that. Yes, if you are collecting Atlantis books, you need this one.
on August 31, 2014
This was a great read! I truly enjoyed getting to "hear" the thoughts of Sheppard, McKay, Teyla and Dr Weir. I thoroughly enjoyed Stargate Atlantis and this book,for me has given the character more depth.
on February 7, 2013
This book was amazingly written. It was like watching the episode only in word format. It was interesting to see the events play out from other points of view. I did notice that some of the dialogue was missing from the book that was in the episode, but it was minor. It didn't distract from the book. The only people who would notice are those who have watched the episode many times.
on February 16, 2013
StarGate Atlantis: Rising is a very entertaining story. It follows the episode by the same name, StarGate Atlantis: Rising pretty thoroughly. Are a few dialogues that leave out a word or two in this book, that are in the episode. Otherwise, I found it to be a very good novelization. The characters are written well and I don't consider them to be out of character. I chose this rating because of the slight dialogue issues. For me, I would and will reread this book again, as the slight dialogue issues are not a deal breaker for me.

Good luck.