5.0 out of 5 stars Stargate Atlantis got better with age!
Published on April 17, 2009 by Marc Marsella

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment after a stellar Season Four
Published on June 27, 2009 by Robert Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Stargate Atlantis got better with age!, April 17, 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
Stargate Atlantis entering it's 5th season was filled with a lot of suspense, action, drama, and even the good ol Stargte comedy like Rodney delivering Teyla's baby. The show had a solid first part with the brilliant special effects of "Daedalus Variations" and the heart-felt tear jerker "Ghost in the Machine" and "The Shrine". Our friendly or foe wraith Todd makes a great appearance in "The Queen" where Teyla goes through a transformations.

The mid-season 2 parter was epic with a special guest appearance by Michael Shanks to fufill his role as Daniel Jackson. If you are a SG-1 and SGA fan it was an epic episode with a shocking discovery.

As the 2nd half progresses we get epic eps like "The Prodgial" which features an epic scene with Sheppard, Michael, and Teyla fighting on the balcony outskirt of the city Atlantis. Another worthy nod was "Outsiders" which features another episode of the returned Carson Becektt and gives a classic SGA feel with the character interactions. Best line, Mckay: "It's not a volkswagon Carson". Also a shot out at "Remnants" which dives into 3 characters, Woolsey, Sheppard, and Mckay, and features a clever plot twist.

The 2nd half dragged a little with the fueled shipping and relationship of Mckeller. I think that was the only downfall to the season. It felt a little rushed and forced but was not overkill in the season.

The series ends with the last 2 eps. A CSI feel Atlantis taking place in Vegas, titled, um "Vegas". Cool and interesting music selections from Producer Robert Cooper featuring, "Marilyn Manson", "The Rolling Stones", and "Johnny Cash". A very unique episode that really captures the heart and personality of one John Sheppard.

The series/season finale was rushed because of MGM's decision to replace Atlantis with Stargate Universe. A lot of fans were upset because Atlantis was still performing very well in ratings. So the producers, with no slots in their eps, had to quickly come up with a 100ep/Season finale/Series Finale all in one. Did they do it? Well not all the way. It should of been a 2-parter for a lot of fans taste, but it was a very good episode. Felt more like a season finale.

Season 5 was not the best season, but it was up there. Now with a Stargate Atlantis movie in the works and scheduled for a 2010 release it should be interesting how they continue the story where Season 5 left off this past Winter.

They don't have a 4 1/2 option so I'll just give it 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better and Better with age, April 24, 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
Wonderful season 5 for Stargate: Atlantis! Some standout episodes have already been mentioned but the 2 part mini arc with Dr. Daniel Jackson as well as the entire cast was total entertainment and needs to be mentioned again. 'Vegas' was also something special.

I admit to still being ticked off that Stargate: Atlantis was cancelled. Yes a movie sounds great but I feel that the season suffered because of the axe hanging over their heads. This show did not deserve cancellation. The ratings were still solid and there were still plenty of places to go with these characters.

Why bother watching this new show if the plug could be pulled at any time? What is the point in investing the time when the bean counters could pull the plug on something good?

I've been a fan of Stargate: Atlantis since the first episode and I miss seeing these characters in new adventures. I'm still in mourning...

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting season, with a very good end, April 17, 2009
M. Care (Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
I just love how Stargate series usually end. They tie things up nicely, give you a really cool battle, and they don't kill off your favorite characters just to make a stupid point.

The season's arc was kind of disjointed and confusing. You will notice during this season that they are already cutting off the threads for some stories. Over all, the episodes show a little bit of character growth, especially in Woolsey, Rodney, and Sheppard. There is no big bad until the last two episodes. The big bads they do have this season are resolved quickly (for the most part).

I like the episodes with Daniel Jackson. Pairing him off with Rodney was an excellent choice.

I might want to add that the information above is inaccurate. Torri Higgison wasn't in the last two seasons as a regular. She was barely in Season 4, and wasn't at all in Season 5. They missed Robert Picardo who took over Amanda Tapping's role after she took over Torri's role.
Confused? We all are!!

They also forgot to credit the one the only Dr. McKay (David Hewlett). Like him or hate him, the man can evoke emotions in people. He also has a quirky sense of humor, which if you can get it, is hilarious. I highly recommend "A Dog's Breakfast" if you are a David Hewlett fan.

Still the series ended when it should have ended. There were already rumors of cast members leaving and going away. So now they don't have to kill them off in dumb ways.

Well the series does not tie off all of the threads. There is plenty of room for the movies which MGM is salivating over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Torn, February 6, 2009
I am torn when it comes to seeing the end of this show. On the one hand I am very sorry to see it go, but on the other hand I am glad they quit while they were ahead. Seasons 1-3 of Atlantis were AMAZING, but season 4 started to see a slow slide from what they had offered us earlier in the series and by season 5 I saw the danger of it becoming the next Stargate SG-1 season 9 which, in my opinion only, was the WORST of all ten seasons.

Season 5 (and season 4, too, I think) saw a slow decline of the well-written character-based stories. In seasons 1-3 we got so many good story lines that really saw the evolution of characters, deepened their backgrounds and really helped to flesh out the characters and get us to know, love or hate them. However, season 5 really didn't do a whole lot with that and instead focused more on scrambling to wrap up a few loose ends. I do appreciate that they didn't leave some of the stories dangling uselessly, but I wish they could have done that with a little more character development as well.

I will not complain about the last episode however. I shall obviously give away no details here, but I was pleased with the final episode of the season/series. There were a few holes and a few quick fixes that I could have done without or that I could have done with a little more explanation, but all together I thought it was a fitting end to the show.

Now, having said all that I have previously, I cannot WAIT to have this on DVD. I have all four seasons available right now and love them and even though season 5, I think, is not the best of the series, I still would not be happy without it completing my collection of Stargate seasons (once I have season 5 I will have all fifteen seasons of the Stargate franchise). I am also very keen to see when and if they release this upcoming SGA movie they have promised us. The SG-1 movies were good (with Continuum being the best of the two, I think) and I would like to see them succeed with SGA movies, as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment after a stellar Season Four, June 27, 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
Season Four of STARGATE ATLANTIS was the series at its best, in large part because the show shifted the emphasis away from episodic, standalone episodes, to serial, long story arc episodes. Season Five, however, shifted increasingly back to the episodic format. There were some longer story arcs, but sadly most of the episodes were standalone. This isn't to say that there weren't some good individual episodes, but the show lacked the narrative cohesion that drove the previous season and made it so enjoyable.

As with Season Four, a significant number of the best episodes involved the wraith Todd, as Dr. Keller created a genetic modification made it possible for wraiths to subsist on regular human food. There were hints from time to time that this was leading to a dramatic realignment among the wraith, but this was never pushed to its logical conclusion. This was symptomatic of the entire season, with a lack of story arcs that would bring the series to any kind of overall conclusion. Given that they knew well before the end of the season that the series was not going to be renewed, one would have hoped for a better send off.

In the end, the series was a show with a lot of unrealized potential. They had a great concept with Atlantis, the Ancients, and the Wraiths, but the show was hurt by a failure to write strong long story arcs and by some weaknesses in the cast. Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett were marvelous as Col. Sheppherd and Rodney McKay, but too few in the rest of the cast came up to their level, and most of the other characters were either weakly written or never really developed to the degree that one might have wished. Still, the series as a whole did provide a good viewing experience. I think five seasons is about the right number for most shows. Most shows decline somewhat after that many seasons. While ATLANTIS was not as interesting in Season Five as in earlier seasons, it hadn't gone on so long that it became unlikable. And at its best, the show was a lot of fun, with some very good viewing moments. And The Wraiths have to go down on the short list of the great bad guys in TV history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, July 6, 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
I love SGA. The fifth season had some unfortunate departures from what I loved about the show, but it does contain two of my favorite episodes from the series, The Shrine and Vegas.
I always love the behind the scenes and extras, really liked that they finally had an interview with Joe Flanigan (Sheppard).
I wish there had been more actor commentaries (only one, from Jason Momoa on Broken Ties). The producers and writers seem to focus more on process and the mechanics of making the show, the actors seem to focus on the story and the characters, which is really why I want to hear the commentaries.
I truly did not appreciate the emphasis on the McKay and Keller romance this season, it disrupted the great team dynamics that were the heart of the series and lessened the importance of Sheppard, Teyla and Ronon.
I don't like hearing how the writers/producers think that this romance was cool, but, on the other hand, it is interesting to hear how much their perception of the show differs from what I and so many other fans saw as the good and the bad of SGA.
On the whole, I'd recommend this DVD set. Some great eps and some interesting extras.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland exit, July 7, 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
When this series was on TV... I kept missing episodes because Sci-Fi was no longer on regular cable. So I'd catch it at other people's houses here and there. I started to get really confused and gave up and thought I'd just watch the entire season on DVD.

After the DVDs arrived, I realised it wasn't just on TV. I felt like there was very little effor put into making the series flow on a constant timeline. I felt like this shortened season was constantly jumping between stories. I couldn't figure out what purpose for the life of me.

Not to mention, some of the decision making seemed good, but ended strangly. Bringing back Dr. Weir was an awesome idea, but they forgot to bring back the same character. Same hair color. Same skin color. Nothing else was the same. They should have just left her in the computer as opposed to trying to have her recreate herself.

As for relationship development, I was really disappointed. I got that they were a team.. but each character managed to stand alone. There wasn't a lot of emotion. I wasn't attached to anyone. When it ended... I wasn't upset with the ending... but I didn't enjoy it either? I felt like every episode was beginning to be the same. They start at the climax. There's some dramatic problem or fight with some alien -- and then they solved the problem.

So... Minus one star for lack of character development ... The other for lack of sequence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect end to a perfect series - sorry it's over, March 10, 2012
From the beginning of the Stargate series through all series, seasons, episodes and permutations, it was a SciFi junkie's Disneyland. If only they would start it up again as this final episode ended. This was a great finale only to be followed with SG Universe which was a major SciFi disappointment in my opinion. It appears to be pandering to the soap opera / reality show entertainment of the day and lost all of the imaginative abandon of good science fiction. Maybe one day we will hopefully pick up with the same mind set and imaginative fun that this episode ended with. Leave Stargate Universe for those who need to pry into everyone's personal baggage and privacy "all the time" instead of just having some good, wild-imagination adventures; that's what science fiction is all about - Congratulations to all the SG1 and SG Atlantis crew and writers, you are among the best and are missed!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing End To A Fun Show, August 4, 2009
Thales (Auckland, NZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
For many fans it seems season five proved to be a divisive one, with people either enjoying it or throwing SGA's clothes out on to the lawn while calling a divorce attorney. Unfortunately I was one of many packing a suitcase.

Stargate was never in the league of Firefly or BSG as far as critical aclaim was concerned, but it was able to provide some cheap and cheerful fun with a good use of humour and a good cast that had excellent on-screen chemistry. Over the years however SGA suffered through multiple cast changes and no real direction which culminated in a final season where the main four characters barely seemed to share a screen together, where laughs were few and far between, and where everything had become too episodic and formulaic - the show was no longer just paying homage to other shows but cannibalising it's own scripts from previous seasons. Season Five seems to be the season of writer malaise.

This was also the season of McKay: Search For A Wife, Ronon and Teyla: Search For Lines To Say, and Sheppard: Search for #45636 Further Ways To Commit Suicide. For me this was time to: Search For The Remote.

Which is not to say that there isn't some good individual episodes to be found on this set, plus it's packed with enough features to keep many fans happy, but it's a pity that such a fun show wobbled rather gracelessly to it's cancellation rather than going out with a bang.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stargate Atlantis and SG-1, May 24, 2009
Harley Howard (Santa Ana, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 (DVD)
I really do not watch too much TV anymore because of lack of quality and/or story telling. Certain series however are the exception and Stargate is that exception for me. I have always had a liking for good Sci-fi, but that's rare for me also. I think a LOT of Sci-fi is as worthless as much of the other nonsense that is on TV.

I didn't start watching any of the Stargate series because I thought that the original movie "STUNK". But many years later I caught an episode of Stargate Atlantis and began watching the series from that point on the Sci-Fi channel. Needless to say that I began to really enjoy the Atlantis series (Rodney Mac - really takes time to endure his annoying character!). Seasons 4 and 5 were outstanding. Sooooo, I watched the entire five seasons and was not disappointed!

Soooooo, I started to watch the Stargate SG-1, just to see what all of the references, terminologies, etc, were that I did not understand in Atlantis. I began with season 1 and I am now in season 3. I'm truly enjoying the Stargate world. My brother, if he were alive, would really enjoy SG. He really loved sci-fi and turned me on to it many years ago.

enjoy!

h

ARRAY(0xa93c1ab0)

Stargate Atlantis: Season 5
Stargate Atlantis: Season 5 by Joe Flanigan (DVD - 2009)
$39.98 $15.63