5.0 out of 5 stars SG-1 Season Four -- A Clear Triumph
I must say that Stargate SG-1 Season Four is, by far, my favorite season of them all. The year opens with a terrific conclusion to the climactic cliffhanger. "Small Victories" shows us just what a mess the Replicator bugs can be for Earth. "Window of Opportunity" is a delightful tale of time-travel with a unique twist where Jack and Teal'c can't get out of the same...
Published on June 4, 2003 by David T. Read

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong discs sent
Discs sent were all wrong. Was in the appropriate season box set package, but every discs was from another season. I received it quickly, just wished they have the right ones inside.

I ordered season 4 of Stargate SG-1, but received four discs of season 5 & one disc of season 1.

Very disapppointed!
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 360 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another strong season for a very fine Sci-fi series, July 6, 2006
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 4 (DVD)
Season Four is in many ways the most difficult to assess of the show's first four. On the one hand it features a number of absolutely first rate individual episodes, but on the other the larger narrative was developed far less than in seasons two and three. Almost always such lack of development is the result of network pressures to produce a show that was easier for first-time viewers to access. Seasons Two and Three saw a vast amount of plot development, as new races and characters were introduced with increasing rapidity. Season Four cut back on this tremendously, and the overall arc proceeded at a much slower pace.

I give Season Four five stars but I am going to confess that this is more a reflection of my opinion of the show as a whole than this season in particular. I personally think that the more a show pushes the long story arcs, the better it is as a show. FARSCAPE was never better than when it was pushing its dominant narrative and the same is true of a host of other shows such as THE X-FILES, BUFFY, ANGEL, and LOST. Many--and I include myself in their ranks--feel that ALIAS began to fade when it mysteriously lost its grasp on its on master narrative. The first three seasons seemed to be leading to something definite, and then it was as if the show started all over again.

Nonetheless, while the overall story lagged a bit in Season Four, there were a host of amazingly good episodes. So there was never a point where the show became slow or tedious. And there were some great guest appearances. Willie Garson, who is best known as Stanford, Carrie's gay friend, on SEX AND THE CITY had a nice appearance as an alien stranded on earth. He has since reprised the character.

So, while the big story didn't progress very much in Season Four, it remained a highly entertaining and high quality Sci-fi show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stargate is fine..., April 5, 2004
S. MacDonald (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
The show is fantastic, though I found the menus on the DVD less than beautiful. I was also kind of disappointed that after buying seasons 4, 5 and 6 all at once and under the understanding that they were closed captioned, that they are in fact NOT and subtitles are NOT available. I really think that amazon should consider adding a SUBTITLES: Yes/No area to their review.
However, the show itself rocked :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mayhem, Murder, Death and Destruction--or Not?, February 12, 2012
I like the episode. I think my summary will show what I like about it:

SG-1 finishes the relocation of a population of rare humans to a suitable replacement planet just as a giant fire-spewing ship appears on the horizon and a terrified refugee returns. Jack wants to blow up the ship, a terraforming Ark of an extinct pacifist civilization, to save the population of rare humans. The humans are a completely unique race with environmental needs forcing them to live on the planet. They cannot be evacuated to Earth as their bodies would suffer from Earth's comparatively harsh radiation. Daniel is determined to persuade the alien's mediator, an exact replica of the rare race of humans, that no one is better placed than the mediator himself to understand the plight of the rare humans and to find another solution that will spare them and mediator needless death. Time is short, and it is up to Jack to go against orders and to find a military solution that protects the vulnerable humans against the Ark's fire and poisonous gas. Can Daniel find a solution that spares the humans but also preserves the alien Ark ship?

Watch it if you're a real Gate fan. Otherwise, you might get bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fires on all cylinders, September 23, 2003
Geoffrey F. Arnold (Hillsboro, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
Season Four, as many will agree, brings many elements of the series into focus, also introducing some new "long term" baddies into the mix (I suppose for "continuity" into future shows and seasons). The overall quality of the transfer to digital is great with good colour and imaging. The expanded features including the commentary (long overdue) are nice to have, but not all that impressive.
My concern, as has been expressed by others, lies more in the "future" of the series. Seven years seems to be the limit for most sci-fi series, beyond which it just gets played for the sake of the playing, not the stories. While now in the seventh season, it doesn't seem that the Stargate will be shutting down any time soon. I've heard that Anderson is exiting the show as a regular. When a primary player bows out (except it is a purposeful plot device), this generally indicates that it's time to wrap things up. The point, I suppose, is that if the story, the primary arc of the series, doesn't move forward more agressively to a meaningful and satisfying conclusion, we risk a complete meltdown of purpose. B5 was smart storytelling -- they created a whole story and then shot it, ending it when it was time, without continuing because of ratings or any other profit motivation. The old adage: "Leave 'em wanting more" is a good rule to follow. Let us pray the producers see the wisdom of a complete story as opposed to milking a good idea beyond the point it ceases being worth the time, effort and expense, which it is now in danger of becoming.

5.0 out of 5 stars great show, September 15, 2003
Michael O. Byrd (MEMPHIS, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I has been great going back and watching these older episodes. I didn't start watching until season 5 on showtime. I saw a few season 4 reruns and was glad to get season 4 just to seem them all in order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed now that it's moved to Sci-Fi. I think Sci-Fi has a bad track record, but the 1st Sci-Fi season wasn't too bad. I've been a little disappointed in season 7 so far. Jack's missing too often and all the majors seem to be off a little. I guess it happens to all shows. A few more years before we his rock "star trek" bottom. These early years are worth ten times their weight in gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Series on Tv, March 20, 2005
I make it a Point every friday night to be in fron tof my TV to watch STARGATE SG-1. Being the GREATEST SERIES ON TELEVISION. It was origanally done for SHOTIME, who in my option was stupid for letting it go, then picked up by SCI/FI channel. I honestly think that SHOTIMES stupidity has help the show because they would have givin it 2-3 seasons then killed it because they have no vision(IMO). Thankfully SCI/FI grabed it and ran with it with 8 seasons todate and a suposed 9th and 10th season coming, i will be spending a lot of money on these box sets. I buy them as they appear on AMAZON. BUY IT ITS GREAT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Bad Example"--Good Episode, February 11, 2012
This is the Ground Hog Day episode of Stargate. Like that movie, principal characters repeat (part of) their day a thousand or so times. Their exacerbation and solutions provide amusement to the dedicated viewer. This episode while comedic throughout concludes the plot with pathos. There is a sort of post script that follows up with a wink and a nudge in the ribs... No toaster ovens in the bathtub, fireballs at the bottom of a mine, or bell tower jumping onto pavement, but the characters stuck in the loop take up some silly habits nonetheless. Watch it, dagnabbit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stargate-1 Fan, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: Season 4 (DVD)
Years ago I bought several seasons of Stargate-1, but they seemed to have disappeared from my house. In the last few years I have shopped Amazon.com for many items. When I went to check on the past seasons of Stargate-1 everything was there. I was able to replace and purchase seasons I didn't have. The prices were very good. The dvds came in a very timely fashion. I was completely satisfied with Amazon.com and the supplier of the dvds. Great job all the way around. Thanks, you have made for some top notch viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly My Favorite Season, July 25, 2013
This review is from: Stargate SG-1 Season 4 (Amazon Instant Video)
Great season of SG-1! By this time, the team chemistry seemed to be ticking along well...not as clunky as the first couple of seasons and not as worn down as the last few.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the season, March 31, 2013
This review is from: Stargate SG-1 Season 4 (Amazon Instant Video)
The seasons continued to get better, every age group should enjoy the show. All of the characters seem to really enjoy working with each other?

‹ Previous | 1 2 360 | Next ›