4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price
Published on March 11, 2012 by philzone57

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic tool
Published 11 months ago by jeff2413

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Starrett 505P-7 Miter Saw Protractor (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have been a professional carpenter for 20 years, and I pride myself on accuracy. I have been searching for this type of product for quite some time. I have been using this for about a month now so here is what i think...The plastic is a bit flexible so you have to be somewhat careful with it. However, mine is quite accurate. I wish it were a couple inches longer, but smaller is easier to carry and store. There are 3 different scales for different readings. None of them go past 90 degrees tho. So if you need to mark out for example a 165 degree angle, you have to go 75 degrees past the 90. which ends up at 15 gegrees. Its odd, but not as complicated as it may sound. It is designed to easily find miter cuts, which is the primary reason I wanted this thing. For that purpose, it is great. Fast and easy miter cuts. It works well for inside, and outside corners. Its really a "must have" for any carpenter. Crown moulding and other large trim is much easier with this. I would strongly reccomend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly flawed, September 24, 2010
As with others who have reviewed similar items from Starrett, I too found this to be slightly off. Less than half a degree. Other than that, the protractor does operate well and is easy to read. That half degree is consistent throughout the range of motion and won't be an issue given that I am aware. Just started using it but can already see its value.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the few $ spent, April 30, 2011
DP (Douglassville, PA.) - See all my reviews
This product is not for building rockets for NASA. But it is worth the few $ I spent for it. I am about to put up crown molding- the tool will perfrm the calculations I need it to do. I tested it and it does what it said it would do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Tool, April 30, 2011
Stan R. (New Haven, Ct) - See all my reviews
I had been looking for the metal version of this tool, so when I saw one in plastic thought I'd try it. Works fine. Easy to read, easy to figure the cut angles. Just be careful not to break it, and it should last for years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic tool, February 11, 2014
I'm a finish carpenter and have previously owned the aluminum 12" model of this. Great tool. I use this thing frequently. Goofy angles are no longer a guess. Stick the gauge on it and make a perfect cut 99% of the time. Well, I left it on a job somewhere and it never turned up. I saw this one here on Amazon and it was less expensive so I ordered it. My mistake. It's cheap plastic. Not their fault. I just wasn't paying attention. This tool would have lasted.....oh, I'd say perhaps a week with the way I use/handle tools. It's a perfect DIY tool for someone that is going to keep it in a tool box in the garage and use it a few times a year. Personally I need something a little more heavy duty. I returned this item and got the deluxe model (cant recall the model) with the miter and bevel settings for crown on it. This is pretty handy when you can't remember the settings and the piece of paper you printed off the internet with the correct setting is MIA. Hope this review is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starrett 505P-7 Miter Saw Protractor, May 29, 2012
Tool was delivered two days early and in perfect condition. It was put in immediate use to tune a table saw and miter saw. That was worth the price of the gauge but of coarse that is only one of the potential uses of the tool. The tool itself is very accurate and easy to read. Get one for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Valuable piece of plastic in my tool arsenal!, October 18, 2013
I vigorously searched for a tool that could just tell me what my miter cut degrees needed to be at a glance and landed on this one. For 10 years, I have used a transfer angle type gauge where you had to transfer the line, and then try to line your saw up to match it. This truly truly simplifies the process. It's expensive for what it is, but it's well worth it. If you're like me and aim for exact precision and tend to work on old houses without a square wall anywhere, this is the tool you've been waiting for!! Simply place it in a corner, read the measurement and set your saw to the degree it tells you. It reads single cuts as well as miter cuts. It's really that simple!

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE for Miter Cuts, July 15, 2014
I have always struggled when cutting miters. This tool solved that issue. I made some molding for a project and spent an hour and a half getting the first miter joint to align. I bought and used this tool and did the other 7 miters in less than an hour and half. I recut the first one and can say that I have 8 PERFECT miters. One of the best tools I've purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "MUST HAVE" for every saw owner., October 8, 2014
The great Starrett has delivered again! Each and every Starrett product I own has been nothing short of superb. From the simple little ruler to various saw blades, to measuring devices--micrometers etc, and now this, are all exceptional. I bought this to use with my table saw. I was finding that making various wood cuts was not particularly difficult if standard angles, ie 45 or 90, but anything else is difficult to determine exactly what they are. In other cases matching another angle say on the edge of a table, or in a joint of some kind is next to impossible without something like this. Most of the time I would use the "trial and error" method using a scrap piece of wood. I discovered it was more error than trial and was time consuming, frustratinig, and still---far from perfect.

I was looking for some way to match another angle, and tried another protractor used in machine shops. Its exceptionally accurate for use in metal cutting and setup, but isn't really by its nature setup to use on a piece of wood. It works, and works ok but I needed something easier to use, versatile, and still accurate.

That led me to trying an electronic device to use on the saw blade, which is great once I know exactly what angle I need to cut, but didn't help me with pre-cut determination of what angle I needed to set the blade to.

AND--during all this drama I accidentally cut my measuring tape in half (with saw blade spinning--big no no I know), and was ordering another on amazon when I saw this!! I knew immediately my prayers had been answered. I ordered, received, and rejoiced. This is exactly what I was looking for but didn't know what I was looking for and knew it when I saw it.

Its easy to use, is about 8" overall from ends to center (of dial), and is not difficult to move but it does require effort which is perfect. Its unlikely that once you have found the angle you need, or are trying to use this to determine that measurement, that it will move unless you intend to move it.

In my experiments using it prior to this review, I set up my new (another review) incra mitre gauge and made some random (but obviously known to me) angled cuts of scrap wood. Then I proceeded to determine the opposite angle to make a straight piece of wood, and to make an exact 90 degree corner (with 2 pieces other than 45 degrees each).

If I could upload pictures to my review I would, but it worked exceptionally well, was accurate to less than one degree (as verified on incra and real life measurement of the wood). Thank you to Starrett for making this wonderful, reasonably priced protractor, and to Amazon for selling it for a great price, and getting it to me in two days. 5 stars for both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be simpler, September 23, 2012
B. Johnson (Sugar Grove, IL) - See all my reviews
If you ever tried to get edge or corner miters perfect, you know the traditional method of a bevel angle and protractor work but takes time. The Starrett protractor couldn't be simpler. I read some reviews were people have had slight accuracy issues. However, mine is right on. This is an inexpensive must-have too for miter work.

Starrett 505P-7 Miter Saw Protractor