5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cookbooks that I own!
Published on April 18, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, insufficient instruction for execution
I have tasted many of these desserts at Stars but found that recreating them at home was frustrating. Many recipes are overladen with butter and often produce too much or too little material for the pan or dish specified. I suspect little time was spent testing these recipes. If you have the inclination and time to do the testing yourself, many of the recipes are worth...
Published on February 5, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cookbooks that I own!, April 18, 2000
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Paperback)
I have nearly 100 cookbooks, mostly pastry and dessert-oriented. This is one of the very best. I've used it so many times that the pages are falling off of the spine. It's also a staple for wedding and housewarming gifts. While some of the recipes aren't for beginners, most are easy for anyone who knows their way around a kitchen. They are occasionally time-consuming (e.g., the Stareos), but, based on the compliments that I get for everything that comes from the book, the effort is well-worth it in the end. The Orange-Almond Cake is my favorite, and friends ask me to make it all the time. I'm going home tonight to make the meringues. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone. (Note-I like this one much more than her follow-up book.)

5.0 out of 5 stars long standing favorite, October 30, 2001
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Hardcover)
I am a caterer and personal chef and have used this cookbook for years. Most of the recipes are superb. Favorites include the gingerbread squares with warm apples and sabayon and the espresso shortbread. I have also made the cinnamon rolls several times and have had excellent results. My copy has been used so often that the pages are falling out of the book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for a culinary library, December 15, 2001
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Hardcover)
Nothing flashy, but solidly delicious and simple, well-grounded in american and French flavors and technique. I'm a professional pastry chef and use this book regularly for components, ideas, fall-back-on recipes. I have never been disappointed. I think the flavors combinations are perfect and make sense--nothing esoteric or to avante garde for company. The gingerbread recipe is among the best I've tasted, as is the banana bread. I don't use these recipes exclusively, but they are always safe and scrumptious. There may be a few gaps in the method/instruction, and sometimes the yields are larger than I expect (esp the banana bread), but on the whole I can follow the recipes to the letter and get great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook on desserts!, July 10, 1999
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Paperback)
I bought this book and have tried many of its recipes and I must say it is a book well designed and the recipes are all kitchen tested. I have dinner guests raving about the desserts I made and the one that is mostly requested is the Drunken Chocolate Cake! I am so pleased with the book that I bought 4-Stars dessert and I am eagerly waiting for the next one to be written by Ms. Luchetti.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine work but not one of my favorites, January 28, 2001
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Paperback)
This book is solid selection of what one might term "standard, gourmet" desserts. Nothing too flashy or creative, but real, good standard gourmet pastry, sorbets, crepes, cheescake, etc.
I have found this particularly good on its sorbets, and one of my favorites, "Rasberry Pistacio Crepes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes but most are difficult to make, June 26, 1998
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Hardcover)
I have had this book since it first came out and nearly all the recipes have come out with great sucess. I have received raving complements as well as requests for the recipes and, as a result, this book has been given to many people as gifts. I must state though the task at making most of these recipes, on the other hand, is usually very time consuming and difficult. This book is not for the beginning baker as there is little help in the "how" or "why" of doing things. As an experienced baker, I have been able to master the recipes to much sucess. The Tuscan Cake is to die for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook-highly recommend it, November 28, 2000
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite cookbooks. I consistently have made the cookies in the cookbook for Christmas and get rave reviews from family and friends. The ginger cookies are an all time favorite. The biscotti are one of my favorites. I have made the Tuscan Cream Cake for parties and that has always been a big hit. I have a couple hundred cookbooks but this is one book I consistently go back to time and again. I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemon Squares and Black and White Brownies, September 22, 2001
Beverly Atherton (Incline Village, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Hardcover)
I have made both for several functions and I have earned the reputation of a fantastic baker. I find when I half the recepies they are easily adaptable. I highly recommend this book! I will not let it out of my sight!

4.0 out of 5 stars Deserving desserts, August 27, 2001
This review is from: Stars Desserts (Paperback)
Not only are the pictures good enough to eat, so are Ms. Lucchetti's culinary delights. The book is full of her insights and inspirations; this is so helpful to the reader/aspiring chef who has none. The cookie recipes can be tedious and need the hands of an experienced chef and a decent kitchen. However, there are many other recipes to keep one busy baking.The chocolate cream cheese brownie recipe is the most superior version I have tried. The cinnamon rolls were a huge disappointment but this could be the aspiring chef's faulty yeast. The photographs are some of the most luscious around. This book is a keeper which explains why there is a wait to buy this delectable hardback. Bon appetit.

5.0 out of 5 stars long standing favorite, October 30, 2001

Stars Desserts
Stars Desserts by Emily Luchetti (Hardcover - Oct. 1991)
Used & New from: $0.49