5.0 out of 5 stars I'm addicted to this CD!
Published on July 4, 2003 by Nici Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars willie overdone
Published on November 25, 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm addicted to this CD!, July 4, 2003
Nici Thompson (Fort Lupton, Co USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
Sure, I've been a Willie fan for over 20 years, but I don't own every CD he's made...in fact this was the first I've bought in several years. I CAN'T QUIT PLAYING IT! I'm absolutely addicted! Willie's unique voice and guitar music somehow blends so great with other musician's very different styles. Most of the stars Willie sings with on this CD, I either didn't know or didn't like, so it's safe to say I didn't buy it for the star lineup. But the music is SUPERB and the other artists do Willie's song justice! "Maria" is definitely not a chic singing song but I can't get it out of my head. Willie's guitar with Nora Jones' piano is wonderful on "Lonestar". I never imagined Willie and Keith Richards on the same song but I can't get enough of "Dead Flowers", crazy lyrics and all. If you've ever liked Willie and like the "duets" blend with other music styles, you have to get this CD. This CD will reach out across the age groups. I love it and so does my 14 yr old country music fan daughter. The only one I don't like is "Stardust" where Aaron Neville went overboard with his "warbaling" voice. My next quest is "Kicking and Alive", Willie's CD from his 70th Birthday TV show. That duet with Steven Tyler is KICKIN!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars For Stars & Guitars, November 6, 2002
Charles E. Jones Jr. (RAWLINGS, VIRGINIA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
This cd has a nice variety of special musical guests from different genres of music performing some nice new versions of classic tunes. Dead Flowers, Whiskey River, Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground and Till I Gain Control Again are worth purchasing this cd alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars willie overdone, November 25, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
I have come to truly enjoy Wille - his style, his voice, his way of making a song his. This Cd is packed full of fun performances with all sorts of co-stars - many good, but, it is not classic Willie. Heck, half the time you can barely make out Willie's voice. It gets lost in crowd noise, too much band and is often mixed too low under the other singer's. It is good Willie. It is not great Willie. The Great Divide is far better. This is a fun special to watch on CMT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional music. True artistry in every sense of the word, May 5, 2003
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
Don't be fooled. This album is more than just a collection of big names. The folks on this album are all very talented, and every piece is really a wonderful rendition, with vocalists who bring the right texture, the right sound to the music. This album has continued to grow and grow on me. Track 12 is exceptional, with Sheryl Crow's powerful vocal style complimenting Willie wonderfully. Lee Ann Womack's performance in Mendicino County Line is also something not to be missed. If those were the only two tracks on the album, it'd be worth every penny, but even Matchbox 20 (who I thought I was entirely sick of hearing) shows off a different side on track 13, and nails it.
I'll admit there are a few tracks that don't do all that much for me, but even those, I don't feel the need to hit FF on. Bon Jovi's voice sounds almost slurred among the rest of the very crisp, articulate vocalists on the album. I will say that Bon Jovi put together an creative video for "Misunderstood", and is a fine artist in his own right.
Willie is one of the truly great songwriters of the last century (that's hard to deny even if you don't like his voice), and the lineup on this album is an awe inspiring collection of his works being performed by some of the most capable and well suited artists alive today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Willie's Perfect "Picnic"!, June 6, 2004
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
I love Willie and this has become one of my favorite live "Wille Albums"! All of the songs on this recording are wonderful and distinctly reveal Willie's ability as guitarist, songwriter, and performer. The many people who he invited to perform with him have been influenced by him and are proud to be a part of this album. There is no gimmick-madness trying to make some last minute money with an old country legend here!
Additionally, I have to say that those who did not like Aaron Neville's 'Stardust' need to listen to it again (and again!). It is the subtlety of Willie's vocals with Neville's unique singing ability that makes the song perhaps one of the best covers I have heard of 'Stardust'. Long live Willie! This is Willie revealing his genius. Buy this CD!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dump Toby Keith, but dig Norah Jones, December 7, 2002
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
Ever democratic, Willie shares the stage with a bunch of modern stars, drawn from the worlds of pop, country & R&B. Among the cast of thousands are Lee Ann Womack, Jon Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow and Matchbox 20. For the most part this strikes me as a rather bloated glamour project -- not on Willie's part, mind you, he's perfectly calm and collected throughout, but rather, on the part of his many guests. Most of their cameos are taken as opportunities to ham it up, or indulge in the florid, often-unbearable vocalese that prevails in contemporary pop and country -- in fact, Willie seems to get a kick out of messing with his partners, notably while singing rings around hat act musclehead Toby Keith, whose bellowing introduction to "Good Hearted Woman" is countered by classic Willie-style off-kilter jazz noodlings. The album's clear highlight comes in his duet with modern jazz chanteuse Norah Jones, who is the only person on here that seems as relaxed and swinging as Willie himself... She actually *gets* what he's doing, with the jazzy, elastic phrasing and love of a good tune. I wouldn't mind hearing them do an entire album together! In the meantime, this record just doesn't hold up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a fan, but this is great!, March 4, 2003
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
I am not much of a Willie Nelson fan. Classic country isn't my thing - I stick to the new stuff. However, I loved the song Maria Shut Up and Kiss Me and decided to buy the CD. I am so glad I did. The guests sound fantastic and lend a new voice to some of the old songs. There are a huge variety of sounds, voices and music on this disk and even though I'm not into classic country, I can't seem to remove the CD from my car stereo!
I'm so glad I took a chance - it's a great compellation!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent collection by nelson, June 20, 2003
By A Customer
i loved this cd, all these are recorded live AND VERY GOOD QUALITY

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome talent in one little package !, January 6, 2003
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
This is one of the most eclectic cd's I have ever listened to . There is an array of talent, running the gamut from rock, pop and folk- most doing an amazing job. I am a huge fan of duet albums anyway and this one is superb.
My favorite track on the album is the one with Patty Griffin, who performs Angel Flying too close to the ground - she has a most unique voice - hard to describe , but once you hear it , you are hooked ! If you have never heard of Patty Griffin( where have you been?:)), this song is a good introduction to her talent .
I also love Lonestar with Norah Jones, who is hot right now .
Both of the tracks featuring Sheryl Crow shine - actually , I cannot say I did not enjoy every track .
If you are a Willie fan , this is well worth the money .

4.0 out of 5 stars Starstudded cd with all the classics..., November 7, 2002
This review is from: Stars & Guitars (Audio CD)
This is such a fun album! I usually don't go for cds with multiple artists just because the underlying message of the album gets lost with all the famous names...but this is not the case with Willie's Stars and Guitars! First of all, if you are a fan of Willie Nelson this is a must...all of our favorite songs are on this and his "friends" really add to his message of American ideals and family-like following of fans. It is so cool to see this classic country star mixing his expertise with the modern talents of today's younger singers and musicians. Check it out, this one's gonna stay in my cd player for a while!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stars & Guitars
Stars & Guitars by Willie Nelson (Audio CD - 2002)