Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on August 7, 2012
"Starship Troopers: Invasion," fourth feature film of the series, is a computer animated film directed by Shinji Aramaki, a Japanese animation director, best known for "Appleseed" (2004). Three principal characters from the Starship Troopers series, Carmen Ibanez, Carl Jenkins and Johnny Rico appear, but their roles are relatively small, in the film's first half in particular.

The story goes like this. Earth Federation Force troopers led by Lieutenant Tony Daugherty (Sam Roman) are sent to Federation's outpost Fort Casey that was attacked by bugs. One of the survivors is Carl Jenkins (Justin Doran), ministry of Paranormal Warfare, who takes over the command of the Starship John A. Warden from Carmen Ibanez (Luci Christian), and leaves the bug-infested base without telling what happened.

After the mission, Johnny Rico (David Matranga) - he is General Rico now - gives a new assignment to Carmen and the trooper team on the fast attack ship Alesia. John A. Warden is missing, and they have to find the starship and Carl.

The story of the 89 minute film is fast-paced but sometimes confusing and cluttered with too many characters. The weapon designs (trooper's powered suit and Marauders) are impressive, and so are the production designs of the starships, but CG-rendered human characters leave much to be desired. The faces of the characters barely escape the so-called "uncanny valley," but still sometimes look lifeless.

The combat scenes are mostly acceptable, but don't expect intensity of Paul Verhoeven's live-action version, which remains the best of the series. The battle scenes with Arachnids get repetitious as the story goes on, and sometimes movements of bugs and humans look a bit awkward. And ... do we need a shower scene here? (The film includes nudity.)

"Starship Troopers: Invasion" is executive-produced by Casper Van Dien and Edward Neumeier, the writer of all three "Starship Trooper" films. Casper Van Dien, who played Johnny Rico in the first and third films, does not appear in this animated film, which was shot in Japan in May, 2011, using the motion capture technologies. The film's visuals are by Sola Digital Arts, Inc., a studio founded in Japan in 2010. The script is written by Flint Dille known for his animation and video game writing.

"Starship Troopers: Invasion" is an OK animation film with some nice combat scenes, undermined by the creaky storyline and occasionally ineffective visuals.
77 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2012
Not bad. It's all CGI. I sort of liked how they worked at getting the action and such to flow. It's hard using CGI to do this and they pretty much made it work.
As far as the story goes, it follows the Starship Troopers story line pretty good. I think that made Carl a bit more sinister than the previous movies but I guess that's OK, as I guess if you had his mental "gifts" you might be too. I noticed there was a good job of using the stuff from the previous movies too. (One note: They really must make their starships really well to have that ship go thru what it went thru an still crash in one piece!) Anyway, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.
on September 5, 2012
Some of the best animation I've encountered. The video was just plain fun. On the down side, the story continues the characters developed in earlier films, but their appearance is totally changed. It would have been better to use the animated likenesses of the original actors.
on July 28, 2015
There are 4 Starship Troopers films in all, the first having been directed by Paul Verhoeven in 1997. Interestingly each one has a different director. And the original “Starship Troopers” was a sci-fi novel written a long time ago by the Dean of American science fiction, Robert Heinlein.
I really enjoyed all three of the other films (which have more conventional filming combined with CG effects). This one is directed by a Japanese filmmaker, and is entirely in animated format.

The world of animated film continues to progress. I thought most of the scenery, both as seen from space and in the interiors, looked realistic. As for the characters, apparently they used a lot of motion-capture techniques allowing them to film the movements of real actors, but transform his or her appearance just about any way desired. In this case, the appearance of the characters looked distinctly less real and more animated than the the backgrounds, which was annoying at first, until you get used to it.

It does take place in the same “Starship Troopers” universe as the other films: set several centuries into the future, mankind has somehow learned the trick of space travel [in this film, it clearly involves wormholes] and is busy expanding to other worlds on nearby stars. Unfortunately when we tried to colonize one potentially attractive world, we found that another intelligent species had beaten us there. This species is very different from humans: more like highly intelligent ants or bees, they look like huge insects, and we soon dub them “the bugs”. They have different specialized classes: fighters, workers, bombers, and Queen bugs, among others. Mankind very quickly comes into full-scale conflict with the “bug” empire.

The film is R-rated for language, sexuality and violence. That right there is enough to convince about half the intended audience that they want to see it. Cartoon sexuality, you ask? Yes: including brief full female nudity (but only partial male nudity). As for violence: this is about a future war, so one might more easily take note of scenes that don’t have any violence in them. And yes, there is a plot, though it’s not terribly complicated. Mainly it involves the psychological aspects of warfare, a human mining colony that was overrun by bugs, and two human ships sent to evacuate any survivors. And naturally things go wrong [One general I think observed that “Few battle plans survive the initial engagement”].

The graphics overall are very nice [except for the human faces and somewhat repetitious scenes of bugs running toward the soldiers]. However this film lacks much of the philosophical depth that Verhoeven brought to the first movie, and which pretty much carried over into the second and third conventional films. I really think it best to at least watch the first movie and some of its special features, before watching this animated one, and you’ll have a better appreciation of some of the story depth that is not as well-portrayed here. This is more like a straight-up sci-fi shoot-em film.
on April 16, 2016
This movie is done in a computer animation style which is done well and I did like it for myself but I am sure this isn't for everyone. I did like the story and the characters but for me there was something lacking and to be very honest, I'm not sure what it was. We have the standard/stock characters and all are as they should be but why, oh, why do we have to keep involving the tough lady character it is very annoying, why can't she be a good soldier and not be so.....masculine? there are other characters that will grate on your nerves but is this is your kind of thing, you will enjoy it. I did like the live action "Starship Trooper" movies even with them bordering on some kind of Nazi organization. I guess the call for them doesn't happen anymore.
on July 22, 2014
This is an ok movies if you like all things StarshipTrooper like me. I wish I would have just waited for netflix though. but for the amazon price it was an ok purchase. I'll watch it once and add it to my massive bluray collection.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2013
There were good things and bad things about this movie. Naturally, it falls short of Heinlein's masterpiece. The CGI is good, but in some places the dubbing looked really off. A large cast of characters that kind of blended together (other than the "Big Three" of Rico, Carmen, and Carl). The attempts to add more depth to them fell short in my opinion and I thought it would have been more effective to focus on a smaller cast.

I found a few points that put a strain on my ability to swallow the story (such as the durability of the John A. Warden, Carmen boarding a ship with no gloves on her hands even though she's wearing a helmet), but overall the story was enjoyable enough for the 24 hour rental period. I wouldn't be as pleased with the full cost and would probably have given it 2 stars.
on October 6, 2012
This is great movie. It's fun to watch and it definitely furthers the Starship trooper storyline with heroes, treachery and bonafide battle suit fighting. In my estimation, Roberet Heinlein would be proud :)
on August 28, 2012
This reminded me of the "final fantasy spirits within" CG movie. I am a fan of the very first Starship Troopers movie that came out. Everything that followed that movie was very cheesy and embarrassing to watch. This was a step up for them since it wasn't a complete failure in terms of artwork and detail. There was nothing really unique about the storyline and after it was over you're left with the idea that it's once again another chapter that doesn't really get anywhere. The makeovers for the three main characters were okay, expressions were okay, animation was good, but the dialogue & acting was a bit poor. Although the artwork and CG was very good, there was nothing about it that was visually stunning. The battle scenes were kind of cool but at times it was losing my interest. It belongs with the B movies on netflix soon. You will have to screen it before letting your children watch it since it had some unnecessary nudity. The way they executed those nude scenes was very corny and stupid. Though being a fan of the orginal movie made me over look past all the negatives I had towards this movie. It entertained me but I can't say I enjoyed it enough to own it. It wasn't totally a bad movie and overall I thought it was okay. I just can't recommend it to you since there was nothing exceptionally great about it.
on October 19, 2014
This is a continuation of the story lines from the live action movies which bear little to no resemblance to the book. The rendering is beautifully done and the story itself is fairly solid but I felt it was lacking something.