Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Start and Run Your Own Record Label, Third Edition (Start & Run Your Own Record Label)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 27, 2001
I read this book thinking I would walk away with the know how to start my own label as the title suggests, but that wasn't the case at all. The author explains some of the basics behind the business based on her own experience, but doesn't get into the details behind the A - B start up. I would recommend this book to someone interested in running a record label. It will help kick-start an interest and promote new ideas you wouldn't normally think of. She covers different types of deals and suggestions on running a business, however, I would move to a more informative book if you are truly serious.
on November 10, 2002
I think this one is ok if you are a beginner, but feel that most people with experience will find it a little boring. If you have no idea about the music business, I think this is a bargain for (). However, if you're out there playing in clubs and looking for something a little more focused on helping you make that happen. I really like "How I Make $100,000 in Music" by David Hooper to help you with understanding how music business people think, the Indie Bible by David Wimble to help you with contacts, and the Jeri Goldstein book about booking to put it all together.
on September 1, 1999
I've been in the industry for a few years now, have my own label, and I still loved this book! I bought it out of curiosity and couldn't put it down! She really knows what she is talking about, as it comes from her own personal experience of owning and operating a label from start-up. I really reccomend this book to anyone who is even thinking about starting a record company, or anyone who is fairly new at it (less than 5 years). Great job Daylle!!
on September 4, 2002
As the owner of a independent world music label..., I was interested in consulting this book due to various reasons. My initial desire to buy this book was to get the advice and experiences of a person who started a label from scratch. Schwartz starts from a basic level in educating the novice on the pitfalls and glories of running your own label. The other reason I enjoyed this book was due to the personal vignettes that the author offers up from others in the music business. Overall, this book is not a revelation. Rather, it is a very simple and effective guide on how to start your own label. Just as advertised.
on July 2, 2002
Daylle Deanna Schwartz wrote an excellent survey book on how to start and run a record label. It is a book for people who are interested in starting their own music label, managers, artist, etc. I would truly recommend this book to anybody who is tossing the idea around in their head about entrepeneurship in music, college students(like me), or an artist and personal manager who is sick of waiting to get signed by a major label! Her topics ranges from Distributions, copyrights, Marketing and promotion, Radio airplay, and internatinal market, among others.
Schwartz also includes tips from other indpendent label owners, distributers, publicist, journalist, and Program and music directors at college and commercial radios. She emphasizes HARDWORK, PROFESSIONALISM, PERSISTENCE, MARKETING and PROMOTING your artist. Also make sure you have a great lawyer and search for the money trail (government grants, investors, loans, etc) to start up your label.
After reading this book the next step you need to do if you are truly serious and ready to work HARD and SMART is research each individual topics ranging from starting a small business, to business plans, Distribution and copyrighting,MARKETING AND PROMOTION, etc!!! There is also books on internet promotion that are more up to date. The key here is to RESEARCH and not just use this one book for all the answers. Invest in going to music seminars, people. People aren't going to you, you have to go to them and get in THEIR face!!!
I can't wait to read her other music book. One more thing: she was a high school teacher, but she had the faith, motivation and drive to start her own label in this shark infested and diseased industry. Schwartz REASEARCHED and worked HARD and SMART. YOU have to start somewhere!!! For all those who wrote negativly about the book: YOU TRY WRITING A BOOK ON THE MUSIC INDUSTRY FROM EXPERIENCE!! That was thoughtful she even decided to write on starting a label. People aren't willing to share ideas on staring a label in the idustry especially since it seems like a fad! Everyone has one, it's the latest craze(sarcasim)!!!
on March 20, 2001
This book is a very informative book for a beginner and for those that have been working in the music industry for years. It tackles many of the issues that someone will confront when starting and running a label. It is full of outside input in the form of quotational passages from industry professionals, so even if you do not trust the author, she has brought reinforcements. At first I was a bit turned off by the fact that an ex-high school teacher was the author, but Mrs. Schwartz deffinitly knows the music business and many tricks to get yourself started. Perhaps her being an educator as a profession has aided her chrystal clear explaination of many complicated topics. It is also a very thurough book that you should read over and over again. (It even has a chapter about the "over-seas market). Worth the money, and the time to read it.
on November 2, 2006
This book is like a rollercoaster ride of interest. Some chapters are so slow and boring you think you might want to quit reading the book altogether. Then there comes a chapter that is just a wealth of knowledge. I am happy I bought the book and read it, but I am the type of person who loves to read every book on the subject I come across. If I had chosen this book over others, I would have been somewhat disappointed. If you are looking for books about the independent music industry, try "The Ultimate Survival Guide for the New Music Industry: A Handbook for Hell" by Justin Goldberg. It is an outstanding book, plus it comes with database of music industry information on CD ROM.
on January 17, 2000
This book covers everything from thinking about it to the specifics in actually doing it! If you're really serious about starting a label you've found your book baby. Wonderfully written,concise and inspiring. Her own personal experiences made this book feel like you were a part of it. Believe me, when you finish this book you're going to feel like you know it all! To the author Daylle Deanna Schwarts, Bravo Honey!Bravo!
on April 2, 2009
This book is far more comprehesive in it's scope than I had anticipated! Through a semi-informal style of writing, the author gives specific details and examples illustrating her points. A seminal book for anyone wanting to start a record company or become a music publisher.
on August 5, 2001
I'm about to put out my first CD and found this book extremely enlightening. It's made me think of my music as a business and I'm working hard to form a marketing strategy as Daylle suggests. I've read other books but this one is the clearest and most useful for me as a beginning label. While it doesn't offer false expectations, it does provide hope. Daylle's encouragement made me feel that I had a shot at being successful, however small. I highlighted many of the promotional strategies and will keep this book with me through it all. Anyone thinking about starting their own label should read this!