Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 29, 1999
I loved this book. Not only was it interesting and easy to read, the suggestions offered were y useful for life's rejections as well as business. I appreciated the self-tests at the beginning to help me analyze what I am most afraid of (i.e. cold calling, rejection from a friend) and suggestions on how to deal with these. The cartoons were delightful and the "Try this" section at the end of each chapter gave me specific goals to work on to deal with the fears. I admire Ms. Jaffe's openness about her own family's difficulties in starting a business and appreciated the stories gleaned from 120 interviews with business owners. This book was recommended to me by a fellow intrepeneur and I will certainly pass it on to others. Deb K.
on July 26, 2002
There is much I like about Azriela Jaffe's writing, but what I admire most is her up-front honesty. She uses examples from her own life & from her family to 'tell it like it is'.
There's no writing as though she's a guru on high dispensing wisdom that's nothing more than theory.
When you read anything from Azriela, be it her books, web site, or newsletters, you get a very clear picture of the woman behind the words.
"Starting from 'No'" is a workbook filled with self-tests, charts, checklists, worksheets, quizzes, tips, & strategies. Everything is backed-up with examples, stories, and real life experiences. The suggestions for working though problems are down-to-earth and do-able. No 'pie in the sky' for Azriela.
And the examples come from small business people, sales people, home-business owners, writers, consultants, coaches, and more. These are real people, like you & me, who have come up against the same fears, problems, & rejections & lived to tell about it.
Chapters cover:
=> fear of rejection & why rejection is just the word we use for fears of all kinds -- failure, success, humiliation, approval (or lack thereof), and more
=> how to make yourself rejection proof. What concrete things can you do to overcome the fear that cripples you?
=> what are your limits? Can you stretch them? Are you taking on more than you can handle & setting yourself up for failure?
=> the power of your mind. The only thing you have to fear is fear itself -- now who said that!?
=> resiliency & flexibility -- do you know when to hold fast & when to give in? Do you see yourself as a victim? Do you see negative situations as everyday occurrences, use them, & move on?
=> maintaining detachment -- take a step back & assess situations.
=> asking for referrals, building rapport, keeping yourself motivated, & knowing when to take a break.
=> staying in the game -- do you know the difference between temporary setbacks & when to throw in the towel?
Shall I go on with more examples? Nah. Just know there's much more.
I found so much useful information in this book. One section that caught my attention while thumbing through the book is what Azriela calls "The Jaffe 3-5 Rule".
Many of us were taught the '3-Foot Rule'. It means that anyone within 3 feet of you is a possible prospect.
Talk about pressure! I never could figure out how to bring up products while standing in line at the post office.
Azriela rejects this notion, too. Her '3-5 Foot Rule' has no pressure attached & reads like this:
"To prosper in your business, focus your efforts on no more than three to five major target markets, using no more than three to five primary marketing tools, and making the most of your three to five greatest business skills. Be sure you spend your time in three to five major business responsibilities, and if possible delegate the rest." (p. 144)
You're not left in the dust after this statement. Azriela walks you through a step-by-step way to implement the idea so it'll work in your specific business & situation.
Then she shows you how to draw up a chart so you can see what needs to be done & then prioritize your tasks.
I'm not categorizing this book. It's not self-help, though it has those aspects. It's not strictly a management book, either.
Let's call it a success book. It will prepare you for the pitfalls of running your business, show you how to avoid them, and, if you do get caught, how to get out of them.
I highly recommend this book. You won't be disappointed...
on April 11, 1999
Keep trying and you will eventually succeed at whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. My 25 years of experience as a salesman and entrepreneur has proven this axiom to be true, but how does one persist in the face of constant rejection? Azriela Jaffe has the answer in her new book, Starting from "No": 10 Strategies to Overcome Your Fear of Rejection and Succeed in Business. She first explains the origins of our fears of rejection. These can be as different as are our personalities and life experiences. Understanding the origins of our fears of rejection ultimately gives us an understanding of the integral role rejction plays in success. This understanding provides the foundation from which to attack our fears of rejection. Ms. Jaffe provides numerous strategies and techniques for overcoming our individual fears of rejection. These strategies and techniques are gleened from the experience of seasoned salespeople and entrepreneurs. This stuff really works in the real world. The book is comprehensive in that it discusses forms of rejection we may not even recognize such as customer complaints. I would trade a thousand books on sales techniques and motivation for this one book because all of the techniques and motivation in the world will be ineffective unless a person has an understanding of the role rejection plays in success. Starting From "No" not only provides the reader with that understanding, it gives the reader the tools to transform rejection into a force that drives success.
on April 19, 1999
For anyone in the business world who fears rejection, Azriela Jaffe's book is right on the mark. She provides the reader with a straight forward method of self-analysis to determine why we fear rejection and how this fear can be overcome and channeled to gain positive results. She uses many excellent samples from her personal experiences. She also has interviewed many other successful individuals who describe how they overcome their fear of rejection.
on May 1, 1999
Don't be fooled by the title, this book is also geared to the entrepreneur whose product is her/himself. If you are a speaker, writer, educator who can't seem to 'make it' financially while pursuing your passion than you need to read this book.
I had the enriching experience of having Az as my business coach and this book is like having her in your home on a daily basis.
This book is an honest, up front tool to help you get the obstacles out of your way and succeed. If your stuck, not where you want to be in your business, don't know where to turn...PLEASE pick up a copy of this book to help give you the tools you need.
More than anything, this book makes it O.K. to be yourself and know that you can be successful and find a way to move forward. You don't have to move a mountain, just find a way around it and this book shows you how!
Jackie Dae
on June 24, 1999
Ms. Jaffe has addressed a topic that is important to many of us in business--especially us "creative types." I'm glad I ordered this book. It helped me understand the genesis of my fear of rejection and gave me practical information on how to counteract the fear. Highly recommended.
on March 29, 2000
This is a great book, with many helpful business ideas. What is great about this book is that in every chapter there is a section that says try this, and some of these ideas are very good and ideas that I am looking forward to trying.
on July 6, 1999
Yes, I too read and enjoyed Azriela Jaffe's book. But that's certainly not all! The truth is, the information that she has laid out in this book WORKS! She helps you realize where your "fears" come from, and then explains (along with real-life stories of other entrepreneurs dealing with the same issues) exactly what you need to do to deal with and overcome these issues. This book is definitely on my "Top Ten" favorite business book titles, and I read lots of them! In fact, I think this book is so powerful, I'm offering it to all of my sales reps! Kudos to Az!
on March 22, 2014
This was a nice read, short and sweet. The content will show you ways to program your thought process to overcome rejection and fear of the word No!

The author wrote; Replace your negative thoughts with positive affirmations and your worries with prayer, and as sure as night follows day you will experience prosperity, achievement, and inner peace.

I cold call for customers which is totally a mind challenge everyday, what's the most a prospect can say when you ask for the opportunity to work with them? Yes or No.. If you don't ask you will never know. The more you ask the more you will be used to hearing No and the closer you will be to the Yes.. Take rejection and love it. Take massive action, just do it.

I will definitely read this book again, Great buy.

Replace
on April 11, 1999
This book was sent to me by Azriela for review...and it was INCREDIBLE! I learned so much about myself! I found out that I not only have a fear of success, but I also have a fear of failure!! She offers alot of tips and advice in the book that are helping me overcome both of these states. Very informative and resourceful...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!