5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best I've Read On Behavioral Problems...
Anti Icky Poo! Starter Kit, Feliway (75mL) Spray and This Book started me and my cat- a 2 year old scottish fold- on the road to recovery after I found she'd been peeing out of the box for some time. She's extremely timid.
Published on February 20, 2009 by realtime

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Unrealistic in many ways.
Published 2 days ago by Linda L. Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably The Best I've Read On Behavioral Problems..., February 20, 2009
This review is from: Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat (Paperback)
I consider myself pretty hands-on & knowledgeable about all things cats- I've never had a 'pee-er- but this book had not 1, not 2, but SEVERAL important points and things to try I hadn't known or thought of.
The importance of interactive playtime and bonding is stressed and I
have seen a change already. I would highly recommend this
book before you spend tons of money on flower remedys, and please, please always remember it's NOT the cat so do not ever punish, grumble, or emit any sort of negativity your cat will feel.
If you only get one book I'd get this one- I got 3 others- twisted whiskers, psycho-kitty, and cat behavior book- none compared to this book, even for considerate and knowledgeable 'cat-people' it's full of revelations. And Rmember-SPAY, NEUTER, and DON'T DECLAW!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Encyclopedia of Feline Behavior, September 24, 2008
I had picked up one of the author's older books a while ago and was pretty impressed, but it was mostly a collection of stories. So, while interesting, it was no where near complete.

This book, on the other hand, is practically an encyclopedia of feline behavior. VERY cool. She starts with body language, her recommendations for setting up their environment and building confidence, and then goes onto common problems and how to solve them.

The only real blank is that she seems to assume that your cat is used to and at least somewhat trusts YOU. The section on a shy cat assumes that the cat is afraid of visitors.

I just skimmed it, so perhaps it's in one of the introductory sections that I missed (like the play therapy section, which she covered a bit in her other book so I didn't read it in this one). I'll reread it more in depth later and update.

I really like her approach, though, because she does not recommend discipline that the cat will associate with the person - like water bottles, noise makers, yelling, and stuff like that. Instead of negative approaches (like locking the cat out of the bedroom) she suggests positive approaches (like creating an interesting environment in another room). Definitely more work, but I think more successful in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already making a huge difference!, April 4, 2010
zelda "zeldafitzgerald" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a quick and easy fix to feline behavior problems, then this book is not for you. And frankly, you need to rethink your strategy and look at long term. There are no easy fixes to hard problems.

I have a formerly feral young cat with some behavior problems--mix that with a foster cat who chases her and you get some big ugly. I have read almost half this book over the past few days, have started some of the techniques she recommends, and I have already seen a difference.

We still have a way to go, but this evening has been more peaceful than the last two weeks combined. The cats are even napping in the same room, although of course not together. I can easily distract and redirect the aggressive cat's (the foster) stalking behavior, and my cat is already more relaxed and showing much less fear aggression.

I have been a cat person my whole life and consider myself pretty fluent in cat. There is still so much this book has taught me. The main thing being that you have to throw out your personal conception of what YOU believe is going on and really listen to and look at the cat and let her tell you. (the book helps you interpret cues) I never thought my cat would be fear aggressive as she appears (to me) to be fearless. But I now clearly see a lot of her problems come from anxiety and being uncertain, which = fear to a cat.

I have also identified behaviors which are affectionate and indicate deep trust on the part of my cat, and it's very touching to know she DOES trust me and loves me.

I have gone from being committed to hanging in there until things change to being extremely confident not just that they WILL change, but confident on HOW they will change and what I can do to get there. I have a plan, and now all I need is time and consistency.

I cannot say how highly I recommend this book, even to a life long cat person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't miss with this author!, August 13, 2008
Pam Johnson-Bennett is one of the best authors in the newly emerging field of cat behavior and this book is no exception. She offers no-nonsense, practical ways of understanding and dealing with your cat's quirks and problems. Her solutions are rarely the "QUICK AND EASY" variety (if you wanted that, I guess you should have gotten a pet rock). But this book goes a long way toward helping you understand your complex and mysterious little housemate. If you take the time to follow her instructions and do what she says, you will get results. Do it for your cat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning new tricks!, February 12, 2009
I have lived with cats my whole life, and even worked in a veterinarian's office as my first job out of high school, so I thought I knew plenty about cats. Boy did I have a lot to learn!

I originally checked this book out from the library in hopes of finding a few pointers on how to train a cat to stay off of the kitchen counters. As I started reading it, however, I realized it had MUCH more to offer. It truly is an encyclopedic reference for anyone sharing life with a cat (or several). This book is NOT just about behavior problems.

Everything from setting up the environment, to how to use play, to grooming, to common health issues is covered. I only wish I could go back in time and use Johnson-Bennet's insights with my previous cats.

There is quite a bit of overlap between this book and the author's previous work, Think Like a Cat. If you are getting a young kitten, Think Like a Cat has some useful pointers on selection and preparation. Other than that, everything from this earlier book is covered in Starting From Scratch--plus a whole lot more.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cat Advice Book, January 21, 2010
This book is fantastic.

I took life-with-a-kitty for granted for a numbers of years until I recently adopted a stray kitten who is perfect in every way except for his nasty biting habit. After weeks of frustration, I finally decided I needed to find some advice about cat behavior. Originally, I picked up this book for its section on aggression but after the first few chapters I was hooked. The format of the book is wonderful, the information she presents about cats and their natural behaviors is astounding, and the suggestions she makes throughout the book are more than helpful. In just a few weeks, my relationship with my cat has improved tremendously. In addition to the behavior modifications I was able to do with the cat thanks to her advice, I have also learned so much about how to keep my cat happy, active, and stimulated. I never knew it was so easy! And it makes both the cat and I extremely happy.

The author believes the best way to modify your cats behavior is through positive reinforcement techniques. I have found this method to be extremely effective. However, modifying your cats behavior through positive reinforcement takes time, patience, and presence on your part. If you are not willing to be an active member in your cat's life, then you will get nowhere fast with this book. If you are willing to be attentive and active, then the rewards will be worth the effort ten times over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying this book was the best thing I've ever done for my kitties, August 2, 2012
Our 2 year old (neutered) boy was spraying everywhere, keeping us up at night, and generally terrorizing the whole household. We were on the brink of finding him a new home. This book provided practical, easy to follow advice (most of it small tweaks to our routine and house layout!) that changed our terror cat into a sweet little boy that we enjoy cuddling and playing with. He now peacefully sleeps with us at night along with our older girl and hasn't sprayed in months! It's miraculous. Now the two of them play together instead of constant hissing and growling. If you read this and do the work, you will see results.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, June 16, 2011
This book is amazing! We have 4 male cats and have been having issues such as litter box avoidance, aggression ect... As I read this book it showed me how and why these issues were there. For instance. Our 2 younger cats are very playful, the 2 older are more chilled (but don't get on well together either). The oldest cat pees everywhere he isn't supposed too (even on us). After reading the book I believe I have found the 3 main reasons for this. 1. Closed litter box 2. Younger cats attacking him while in the closed litter box and 3. He was forced into the litter box every time he peed outside the box. So now he is TERRIFIED of the litter box! I had an idea these were the reasons, but now I know for certain. The book is an amazing read. And while you might not think a chapter applies to you it can help you understand other issues. You WILL find yourself having many AHA moments as you read this book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Orange Cat, June 11, 2012
We have a crazy orange cat that loves to scratch...everything. I'm about half way through this book and everything she suggested has worked. His main issue was scratching the bed while we sleep at night. It's been 3 nights without a disturbance! That alone is worth the money for the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for cats with problem behaviors, July 21, 2012
This book is a MUST READ for anyone getting a cat. I had a cat for 20 years, and I was finally ready to rescue another one. After watching "My Cat From Hell" I realized I could have been doing so much more to promote good behaviors and friendliness in my previous cat, who was notoriously indifferent to her surroundings and people. I regret not having this book when I first got her. Now my new cat, already a year old when I got her a week ago, is already super-friendly and affectionate. I just coach people when they meet her how to interact with her to gain her trust. In minutes she is jumping in their laps and cuddling. This book will dramatically improve your life as well as the life of your cat!

Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat
Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett (Paperback - November 27, 2007)
$16.00 $10.00