5.0 out of 5 stars BASIC AND EASY TO READ
Published on February 15, 2011 by Love2Travel

2.0 out of 5 stars Starting Solids
Published on October 17, 2011 by slmac

5.0 out of 5 stars BASIC AND EASY TO READ, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Starting Solids: The essential guide to your baby's first foods (Hardcover)
There are so many baby cookbooks out there and what I really needed was the "how" in starting solids. I know some parents may think it is a no-brainer but like a new parent I over analyzed everything and over researched it all and I just didn't know where to start. What I did know was that jarred baby food was not for us. What I like about this books is that it's easy to read and easy to follow. Thank you full color photos especially for my tired eyes. Seriously covers the beginning basics. I do suggest going to the library instead of buying it if you can because after this, I needed more recipes and just wanted more info. I trust what Anabel Karmel had to say and many of the cookbook authors out there didn't exactly sell me on "easy". The woman has built a whole line of baby food stuff like this book and several other cookbooks as well as the gear. I didn't end up getting her freezing tray. Instead I got a silicone (yes they are BPA free I checked) mini bites brownie tray with little compartments by Wilton and used saran wrap to cover it while it froze which was about 2 hours. It holds way more than her tray which means you can freeze more thus quickening your cook time.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, November 30, 2010
With so much information about starting solids out there, I felt overwhelmed and confused. This book helped me understand when to introduce new foods. It took the fear out of wondering whether something was right for my son. She also goes over how to prepare each food, step by step. I started withthe simeple purees, and moved on to more complex flavors, like corn, carrot and potato blend. She combines foods for interesting flavors and nutrition, that I would have never thought of. Starting Solids goes beyond some of the other baby food books, by creating recipes that are actually delicious! I used her recipe for vegetable broth and made my own (not something I thought I would do) to flavor some of the blends. My son loves them. I tried all the foods myself,and like everyone says, it's nice to know what's going into it.

The author is thought to be an expert on baby foods, and has her own line of products and books. Of the three books I own, I like hers the best. She also covers proteins, which can be hard to navigate. I plan to make the salmon blend in the 6-7 month old section this month. The foods can be individually frozen which is convenient. I used a food processor for most recipes, though a blender could be used.

The book is arranged in sections by stages and months, which makes it easy to read. The color photos are appealing also, the food actually looks good. She includes menu planners and variations to the recipes, as well. The getting started section has everything you need to begin cooking and serving solids, as well as a section on if your baby is ready. So she starts with purees, moves to blends and finger foods and lists yummy foods at 10 months, like chicken burgers and banana muffins.

If you want just one book about solids, I would recommend this one. It's all you will need from around 6 mo to 12 months. There are many nutritious and fairly easy recipes that you will feel good about making for your baby.

2.0 out of 5 stars Starting Solids, October 17, 2011
At first I thought this book was great. I am a first time mom and a novice baby food maker. The book provided good tips for first tastes and how to prepare a number of different fruits and vegetables for a young baby. After the initial intro and entry into solid foods, Ms. Karmel seemed in a rather huge rush to have babies eating a large variety of solid foods that are not exactly in step with APA guidelines. I understand there is brand new research coming out that is in favor of reducing the age ranges for a number of different foods but this book seems to throw caution to the wind. There is quite a jump from pureed sweet potato to pasta with 'baby bolognese' sauce. I don't understand what the rush is and wish I would have gone with a book that spends more time expanding a baby's palette rather than rushing into everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good info, January 22, 2013
I had no idea what to give my daughter when she first started solids. This book is great because it breaks down what your child should be eating by age. Very informative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For A New Mom!!!, September 22, 2011
I really like this book!!! It has great information and it is up to date with current research. The recipes are simple and easy to follow. I disagree with one of the other reviewers...I thought this author was pro-breastfeeding and she only uses milk in the cooking not as a drink (doctors suggest you wait till 12 mo to have milk as a source of drink because cow milk does not have all the nutrients of breastmilk/formula and they are concerned with malnutrition- it CAN be used in cooking!!!) The meal plans (a new food each day, instead of waiting a few days) are designed for children with no family history of allergy. If some of the information in this book surprises you...this is a British author and you should check the American Academy of Pediatrics website. There has been recent changes about food allergies and waiting till certain ages to introduce certain foods.

3.0 out of 5 stars Question for buyers, April 7, 2014
How does this differ from Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner? Is this a newer version of the same book? I am having trouble deciding which one to buy as a guide for starting my baby on solids.

3.0 out of 5 stars great starter book, June 15, 2014
Great book, nothing wrong with it. Rather elementary though, and found that most info in the book is available freely on the net. Should be updated to either stay current or bring something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital to My Success in Getting My Baby on Solids, April 29, 2014
S. Veronica (San Rafael, CA) - See all my reviews
Rated five stars, it's no surprise I love this book. It has been a tremendous resource to me as I introduced first foods to my baby and even now at 11 months where we have moved on to some of the heartier recipes. One negative comment suggested the food "difficulty" escalates too quickly, but, like all things with babies, each child is different, so you have to gauge the timing that is right for your baby. Not every 8-month-old is going to be eager to bite into a mini-sandwich, though some (like mine) will be. This book is full of great, diverse recipes, though you do have to introduce them at times that work for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, July 17, 2012
Great background on starting your baby on solids, plus acceptable foods to start with. After each stages introduction, the author provides a great variety of recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars recipes are good, nutrition info is flawed., April 19, 2011
J Jones (New York, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
one of the first lines in this book is "From around six months, your baby's regular milk will no longer provide her with all the nutrients she needs..."
I took issue with this, as well as recommending wheat and cows milk/dairy as an essential part of the baby solids diet, and saying that processed/refined carbs have a lower nutritional value, but make great starter foods (yes, let's start them out with junk, great idea!)
This book really encourages the use of baby rice cereal, discourages baby-led weaning, and (if I didn't know better) would make me think that breastmilk isn't all that great.
I wanted more explanation of why the author thought I shouldn't introduce certain veggies until "stage two"

All that being said, there really are some good tips and recipes, though I hardly consider steaming and pureeing a single veggie (optionally adding breastmilk/formula) a "recipe."

Starting Solids: The essential guide to your baby's first foods
Starting Solids: The essential guide to your baby's first foods by Annabel Karmel (Hardcover - July 5, 2010)
Used & New from: $9.99