5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!
For a starter like me, who were mystified and terrified by the prospect of competing and working in the financial sector when I first started looking for a job, this book told me everything I really needed to know. Unlike other self-help books of similar content, I never got a sense from the author that I was not being told the honest truth about Wall Street...
Published on October 20, 2007 by RaCh

3.0 out of 5 stars good book missing some key points
I have been in front office development for 10 years. The author should be more realistic about his assumptions about getting a quant job. 1) your chances of getting a role as a proper quant are slim to none without having a phd. 2) Add Ivy League school to that Phd. Trust me I have read all the books the author mentioned, I have a MSc in Fin Eng, worked with many traders...
Published on November 5, 2007 by R. Keyvani

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, November 30, 2007
This review is from: Starting Your Career as a Wall Street Quant: A Practical, No-BS Guide to Getting a Job in Quantitative Finance and Launching a Lucrative Career (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book for those who are starting out in quantitative finance. The writing is very practical without excessive technical jargons or pompousness. It teaches you everything from what classes to take to how to prepare for the job interview.

5.0 out of 5 stars very comprehensive, not only for quants, July 14, 2007
This book covers almost every aspect of starting the quant career. So far, no book like this one can be found in amazon. I hope I could read this book 2 years earlier.
Since the book covers many things, I'd like to provide a rough index for your reference.
Part1. Objective: Get a job as a wall street quant

Part3. Experience: Acquire real world skills
Chapter8. Working while in School
Chapter9. Already a Full-Timer

Part4. Bright Future: Go far and prosper
Chapter10.Evaluating offers and starting jobs.

Personally, I found Part1 and Part2 are extremely helpful for some one still in school. In addtion, one can get a general flavor of how to get a job. So it is not only for quants.
The book is also rich in humor. Reads like an old friend who is telling you stories. Sometimes, the author combines ancient Chinese philosophy and modern western wisdom together.
In conclusion, it's helpful, fun, worth your time and money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 25, 2009
It's a great book overall, but why the author talks more on the econometric side of quant, what about the derivatives pricing side ?
Is derivatives pricing quant that involves financial math skills (stochastic calculus, numerical methods, etc) not anymore needed in the Wall Street or is it just that the author is oblivious to this (and don't bother to mention it in the book).
Well actually, as an aspiring quant, there's a slight fear in me that I've been learning on the wrong side so far, even though I have to admit that econometrics (time series, etc) doesn't really interest me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, August 10, 2010
Parth Vasa (Sunnyvale, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I really liked the book as it does open your eyes to this lucrative profession, but I want to point out a glaring omission(maybe?? I haven't read it cover to cover).

The Omission:
I suspect a number of folks reading this book are not fresh college grads or in university. How is the quant profession for career changers? Especially for older folk. I am 47 and considering a financial engineering career change. I did have a 4.0 GPA in advanced calculus so I expect self study will be enough. But the question is how does the industry accept newbies at older ages or just changing careers? How about contracting as a quant as opposed to fulltime?

Another question is besides the major companies is there a trade association or directory where a list of smaller companies is available? How about expos and conventions where you can meet some of these folks?

Final question is say you prepare to be a quant, but do not get a job you hoped for. Then what are the peripheral jobs with your quant skills? Example in IT say u fail as a Java programmer, then you can become a QA or architect or project manager or switch to other aspects of Java or technical sales with just a little more training. The author provides just 2 job options- front and back office.

I hope the author comments. Otherwise I regret not reading this book earlier considering how lucrative it is and how easy it is to learn if you are a math whiz. Imagine a career that could pay 100K to 500K and all you need is advanced math and a freeware C++ compiler!I think I needn't spend more than $1500 in material to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good overall book., December 4, 2007
This is a pretty useful book and fully does the purpose it says on the title...original ideas written by the expert in the field. I ordered two other books on the subject. This one I liked the best. Although, I would have appreciated some more details, but I think that was not out-of-scope for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful and easy reading book, August 9, 2007
M. Lu (Chicago,IL) - See all my reviews
This book contains very useful info such as where to find job postings and how to deal with recruiters. Very helpful for people seeking their first job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful and informative, July 14, 2007
C. Wu "roy" (College Park, MD) - See all my reviews
I am reading the book right now. It is very well-written and very informative. I am so glad that the book gives so much information, especially I am not from finance and have no idea about how Wall Street works. I just finished the first three chapters. Highly recommended for new quants.