5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful advice that is genuine and sincere for you to use, February 19, 2012
Ralf Weiser (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Startup: An Insider's Guide to Launching and Running a Business (Kindle Edition)
Great job, Kevin. Your at times painful experiences that you are sharing with everyone are great tools for us not to repeat them. I particularly like how you go through the different business levels and key concepts starting an organization. Then you cover how to maintain, grow and even sell the company that you helped create. Powerfully and refreshingly written. Way cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, January 17, 2012
I am starting my own start-up, and this book has provided me with some great common sense tips - many of which i didn't know.
This book is helping me a lot to plan each step of my business. I got some great ideas to empower my project.
What i most like about this book is that Kevin talks about his failures and his uncertainty, and explains the causes behind the problems and what you can do to avoid such problems in your own company.
This book is not a recipe; it is an explanation of what business is and what it is not, and some great advice on how to start and not fail.

I have already recommended it to many friends!!!!!

David

5.0 out of 5 stars Startup Delivers!, March 31, 2012
There was enough packed into chapter 1 to make this a must read book for every business owner and entrepreneur. The author has a great way of creating visual examples to illustrate concepts.

For those of you who haven't read it yet, Kevin Ready's book Startup is a must have on your book shelf, (after you've read it of course), and is the perfect gift for you to give someone who is contemplating entrepreneurship, or even is already in it and would like some renewed inspiration and outlook. Highly, highly recommend!

Super congrats to Kevin Ready, I think he really delivers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 12, 2012
I am an intermediate level entrepreneur, still at the broke stage but getting my finances in order and figuring out how to build wealth. I downloaded this book off a pirate site while downloading other business ebooks. Well, I'd say if unlike me you do have $20, this book is worth every penny and then some. It's packed full of good info from start to finish. It's easy to read and isn't filled with fluff, just straight talk and practical experience. I often found myself nodding in agreement with situations in the book which match up well with my own experience. I often felt like I was reading certain angles or ways of thinking about things here, or subjects that are covered very well or at all in other similar books I've read. All in all I'd say I really enjoyed this book and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in getting into the entrepreneurial way of thinking, or who is already well along the path but could benefit from extra help and direction in solidifying that mindset. Other helpful books I'd recommend, which are complementary by offering advice on managing finances which this book lacks, would include Think and Grow Rich, The Millionaire Next Door, and Rich Dad Poor Dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars The author stepped on mines so you don't have to, February 8, 2012
As someone who recently started my own business, I wish I had read this book before taking the leap. That's not to say it doesn't hold valuable lessons for those of you already on the entrepreneur path, because it does, and lots of them, but it certainly would have made some agonizing decisions a lot easier to make and would have prevented me from wandering down wasteful paths, in terms of both time and money (see title of this review!).

It is said that we learn from our mistakes, but an even better, not to mention less painful, way is to learn from the mistakes of others. In this refreshingly-direct and honest book, Mr. Ready chronicles ones he has made on his path and wants to pass on the valuable lessons he learned from making them to the reader. You should treat these lessons as the gold they are.

That's not to say that the book is some sort of negatively-toned catalog of failure, far from it. In fact, the entire tone of the book is extremely positive, albeit completely forthright in its assessment of what works, what doesn't and the best ways for harnessing your drive and creativity (after all, if you didn't have these traits, you wouldn't be even thinking about your own business) to make your business a success. But, don't expect a lot of rah-rah-you-can-do-it cheerleading either. In fact, it will have you honestly assessing if you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur in the first place. That's a good thing!

I won't give a blow-by-blow account of each chapter, but suffice it to say that the book is packed full of helpful information. Best of all, it is packaged in an extremely engaging and accessible fashion, with many real-world examples, memorable terms/graphics and summaries (takeaways) designed to "stick" with you long after you have put the book down.

In my opinion, this guide is far better than books such as the "For Dummies" series targeted at laypeople, which I must admit I am when it comes to business. The reason is that the author has managed to strike the balance of getting essential points across without bogging the reader down in jargon or terminology that must be defined in dry, rote fashion that leaves your memory as soon as it's read. That's the primary failing of the "For Dummies" books and is entirely avoided in Startup.

Two final points about the book. First, it covers the entire spectrum of a business, from the point it is just a glimmer of an idea rattling around in your brain to completing a successful exit strategy. This is important as it treats a business as a totality, almost a living thing that must be nurtured to grow successfully, a point which other guides that focus too closely on one aspect (marketing, contracts, etc.) all too often miss. Second, it's short (as well as extremely readable). May seem a minor point, but other guides can run into the hundreds and hundreds of pages that take a long time to wade through. Since I am at the starting point of my business where I have do everything or nothing gets done (yes, there's a graph in the book covering this!), my time is limited and I appreciate the book getting to the point.

If you're an entrepreneur, or thinking about becoming one, do yourself a big favor and give Startup a read. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Good Words, April 17, 2013
This book is a great representation of the things to keep in mind when starting and relentlessly running/growing a start-up. Startup provides readers with a great playbook for idea-conception through the hopeful sale of the company. Mr. Ready gives great thoughts or ideas that you may need as a C-Level contributor to an incubating company. From team management to handling investors, this book is a great guide in making your mark in the industry. Enjoy this great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time With e-book, February 22, 2013
I was hesitant to get this book in e-book format. Well, Amazon did a good job by making it available in e-book format! Thank you.

Rate and Discover Movies