4.0 out of 5 stars Read Before You Go.
If you've been to Startup Weekend it reads a bit too much like an infomercial, but it should be required/recommended reading for anyone thinking about going and participating. I wish I would have given it a closer read before I attended.
Published on November 29, 2011 by Eric J Schapp

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Information, But Very Short & Thinly Developed
Published on November 2, 2011 by Bradley Bevers

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Information, But Very Short & Thinly Developed, November 2, 2011
This review is from: Startup Weekend: How to Take a Company From Concept to Creation in 54 Hours (Hardcover)
I have really been looking forward to this book, but now that I have it am very disappointed. I was expecting a book that would really give tools, ideas, and practical information on how to build a business in a weekend. Instead, it feels like a book that just points to an event (Startup Weekend) over and over. After reading this, Startup Weekend the event sounds great and like something I definitely want to attend. Startup Weekend the book . . . comes up lacking.

The ideas presented are short. For instance, the first two are action-based networking and the 60-second pitch. Great place to begin for a startup, but after the chapter titles are in place the authors then write about how these things are accomplished at Startup Weekend. Stories about different people presenting their 60 second pitch in front of large groups of people is not helpful in a book. Talking about the casual Friday night dinners at Startup Weekend in a book is not helpful either. You come away from reading the book thinking Startup Weekend (the event) sounds amazing, but you are no closer to actually pulling off any of these things in a weekend on your own time. Instead, it feels like you just watched an infomercial.

One big problem with the book: the introduction is too long. It is 20 pages, making the remainder of the book 130 pages or so. The story of how Startup Weekend . . . started up . . . is interesting, but would have been better at the end of the book. You definitely want to know more about Startup Weekend when you read the content, but its hard to care very much when its placed at the beginning.

130 pages is long enough to accomplish great things if you do it right, but this book just doesn't deliver. There are some helpful things here, and some quotes that are worth remembering, but your time is better spent on other books. I gave it three stars because the information is solid, there is just not enough of it.

Recommended if you are interested in learning and attending a Startup Weekend event. Actually, you should probably skip the book and just attend the event . . . they really sound like they are great, and I am going to try and make the next one in my area. If you want to test a business idea and get it launched quickly, both The 4-Hour Workweek, Expanded and Updated: Expanded and Updated, With Over 100 New Pages of Cutting-Edge Content. and The New Business Road Test: What entrepreneurs and executives should do before writing a business plan are better books to start with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Credibility?, May 24, 2012
I bought this book based on a friend's recommendation who had been to Startup Weekend and enjoyed it. I made the assumption that the authors were all seasoned serial entrepreneurs with years of experience through thick and thin. Reading the intro, it became clear that their startup story was in starting Startup Weekend itself! The story goes that one of them really wanted to do a startup and began working on one, heard about startup weekend, and decided to join the core group and make that his startup. Hmmm.

To me, the book had a lot of cookie cut, theoretical information that you could find in any entrepreneurship 101 textbook on starting a business but lacked depth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpromises, Underdelivers, April 18, 2012
Like other reviewers, I picked up this book because of the subtitle, "How to take a company from concept to creation in 54 hours." In short, the solution is "Attend a Startup Weekend." The book itself does not give much information, and is clearly geared towards advertising the Startup Weekend events. I'm a little offended at this because I felt like I wasted money, and my time, to simply walk away feeling advertised towards. Unless you are going to a Startup Weekend and really want to have a preview from the founders, I'd skip this book and grab another startup-based title.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously lacking depth and details, March 18, 2012
Stephen M. Bush (Lansing, Michigan) - See all my reviews
While I like the concept of Startup Weekend, the book was seriously lacking depth and details. This book was more of a brochure for the movement instead of a how-to. I suggest reading the Lean Startup instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely don't judge this book by it's cover - you'll be disappointed!!, September 11, 2012
Sitting in an airport for 1.5hrs I have read this book cover to cover and can assure you it's not worth your investment. The book is no more than a critique of the Start Up weekend and is terribly light if not completely absent of any in-depth direction as to how this process may be run outside the Startup Weekend model. Mixed with light-weight business theory and advice on how to brainstorm and refine ideas (like that's such a new idea I've never thought of) the book is clearly pitched at an IQ just above braindead. I can't get a refund on My book but I can suggest (strongly) that you do not waste your money or time wondering whether this colorful cover contains any substance - it doesn't. Very disappointing

2.0 out of 5 stars One long infomercial, July 21, 2012
Instead of actually outlaying a detailed guide for taking a company from concept to creation in 54 hours like the title suggests, this book just tells you all the great reasons to attend the organization's event "Startup Weekend". I'm sure it's a great event but the book was a waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing, March 3, 2012
I was really excited about getting a copy of this book. The subtitle "How to Take a Company From Concept to Creation in 54 Hours" was a great premise. Unfortunately, however, the book serves primarily as an extended-brochure for the authors' own company, Startup Weekend, which provides workshops and seminars to entrepreneurs. It offers several very general suggestions but does not fulfill the promise of teaching you how to create a company in 54 hours. Its a shame the authors failed to execute on this idea and promise to readers.... Sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, May 20, 2013
S. Simonds (Palatka, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I needed more than the book gave me. I had to order something else to get me what I needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, July 26, 2012
Don't waste your time with this book. It is a 200 something page pamphlet on why you should attend a Startup Weekend event. The fact that they even charge you for this book is insulting. That being said, the Startup Weekend events sound like a cool idea, but low and behold, they don't have any coming to NYC for at least the next 6 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read Before You Go., November 29, 2011