5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative
Published on March 12, 2012 by andistyles

3.0 out of 5 stars A book full of stats
Take advantage of the "Look Inside!" feature before you buy! I wish I had.

Published 13 months ago by Alia

3.0 out of 5 stars A book full of stats, May 31, 2013
Alia (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Take advantage of the "Look Inside!" feature before you buy! I wish I had.

I was looking for something that would explain baseball statistics and help me understand what all the numbers mean. Some of the reviews for this book made me think it might be promising, but I was wrong. The only explanation given is a table of abbreviations on one page, with zero elaboration as to what the terms actually mean. The print is tiny and the book is not something you can sit down and read.

Think of this book as more of a reference. It is full of tables of statistics focusing on the "best" of everything. Best players, best seasons, etc. I'm sure it would be very interesting for someone who already understands baseball statistics very well.

If you want a book that explains baseball statistics or any other aspect of the game, I highly recommend BASEBALL FOR DUMMIES. I gave away my copy a long time ago and I should have just bought a new one in the first place. That's what I will be doing as soon as I return this particular item.

3.0 out of 5 stars A so - so resource., May 26, 2013
PAUL MORASCH (SANTA CRUZ, CA. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stat Geek Baseball, The Best Ever Book (Kindle Edition)
Lists based on numbers are useful but there is little analysis of the numbers that factor to make up the various lists in the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage In Garbage Out, November 10, 2013
DAN B (PITTSBURGH, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a baseball stat geek and have read and studied the works of Bill James, Pete Palmer and others. Normally books of this type present, explain and defend their formulas and theories. This book is nothing more than presentation of the results of flawed research without explanation or justification. If your research tells you that the best team ever played in 1875 and that a second place team in 1879 is the fifth best team of all time, don't publish a book, figure out what is wrong with your approach. Instead, we get "We're a bit surprised ..." The Golden Age of baseball was not the 1870's, but this book reports that 6 of the 30 best teams ever played in that decade. It isn't just a problem of over-rating teams and players of baseball's formative years, they also tell us that 1961 Detroit Tigers were better than the Yankees team they finished 8 games behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative, March 12, 2012
This is a great book if you are interested in baseball at all, and is very easy to read even if you don't know much about statistics. It's full of interesting facts and figures, and does a great job explaining what each rating and score is, and why it is important to the game of baseball. I learned a lot about the history of baseball reading this, and the writing style is great for just sitting down and reading - not dry and boring, like you would expect a stats book to be. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, July 23, 2013
This review is from: Stat Geek Baseball, The Best Ever Book (Kindle Edition)
Has all kinds of great info..nearly impossible to read on a Kindle...probably ok on a regular hardback or paperback book..too late for that:(. Update as of July 26..immediately contacted after submitting review..sent me a link (and a couple of personal emails)and I now have the book as a PDF in my ITunes app..great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, March 13, 2012
Great reference book to have on hand! Abbreviations are clearly written out and easy to find in the book. Extremely neat, clean, easy to follow book. A highly informative reference guide or a great book to get to learn about some of the recent history of baseball. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift!, July 3, 2013
I bought this for my Husband who loves all things baseball. He is really enjoying the book and I was so happy to have found it for him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Father's Birthday Gift, April 15, 2013
Even for the man that thinks he knows all of the stats he still read this book from cover to cover and loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, January 14, 2013
He loved it and started reading it at our Christmas party! It is hard to find something for someone who is a real baseball fan but this scored a home run.

Stat Geek Baseball, The Best Ever Book