Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on July 14, 2009
It has been years since I've seen The State, and the moment I saw the commercial for it on TV, I immediately ordered it. It's a great DVD set with some really worthwhile bonus features, particularly the cast commentaries.

That being said, yes, the music replacement is quite noticeable, as is the frequent and sometimes scene devastating blurring of any and all images that might require MTV to pay something for their display. The insert that comes with the DVD set claims that to include these images and songs would have cost millions and forbade the production of the DVD. I find that hard to believe.

How much is it going to cost to have a picture of Andrew Shue on a goofy homemade collage? Or some obscure album cover from 15 years ago? I can't imagine those would cost all that much. And how much can the inclusion of a handful of songs cost? Even just for those few that were played over the live performances in studio, which is where the dubbing is most noticeable (any skit performed in the studio that contains licensed music, does not have a single piece of original sound, whatsoever. It's all dubbed over with new music, generic audience laughter, and re-recorded performances by the original cast members). Pretty much every licensed song used in the show is background music with dialogue recorded over it. How, in that kind of context, is some Marvin Gaye song from 30 years ago or goofy grunge song from 1993 is going to cost "millions" to license? And how did songs such as "The Power" by Snap!, which is played over the guidance counselor sketch, make it in and all these others didn't?

I'm sure the real explanation is that MTV didn't give this DVD production any kind of budget at all, which is why we get all these alterations. I guess we should be thankful that the cast members and producers were so dedicated to the show that they took the time to find ways to get around all these inconveniences forced upon them by their stingy bosses.

It's great to see the show again and so many of my favorite skits, particularly from the first season. It's just a shame so many great parts are ruined by all the editing and audio dubbing. I consider it's 4-star rating entirely MTV's fault for being so cheap with one of its greatest shows.
1414 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2016
Since I don't remember what music played when it originally aired I have no basis for comparison in that regard. The comedy still holds up, even after all these years. I wish they would edit out a lot of the exits and lead-ins from the commercial breaks because it gets a bit tiring to go through the repetition of the music and logo. Minor complaint.
on July 18, 2009
The State is, without a doubt, my favorite sketch comedy show of all time. I've been waiting a looooong time for this DVD set, and it was worth the wait. They put together a really nice collection. In addition to every episode aired on MTV (the one episode aired on CBS is not included), it has some excellent commentary, interviews, and extras.

I really wish I could give this 5 stars, but I have to knock a star off for the music changes. This only affects a handful of sketches, and if you never saw the original you probably won't care. But "$240 Worth of Pudding" just isn't the same without "Sexual Healing" in the background.

If you watched this show in the 90's, you already know it's hilarious. Otherwise, I recommend this DVD set to anyone who likes sketch comedy shows like Mr. Show, or Kids in the Hall. And if you're a fan of shows like Reno 911 or Stella, this is where those guys got their start, so you may want to check it out.
on January 20, 2014
I don't care for all the edits. The scene where they pretend Ken Marino is dead just isn't as funny without Boyz II Men playing in the background and the blurred posters are distracting so those are bummers. I had some of the original episodes I bought off a bootlegger on the subway that I would rather watch, but a roommate stole them so this DVD set will have to do.

If anyone reads this and has access to the CBS episodes, PM me. It's been too long!!

These DVDs have audio commentary and anything with audio commentary by David Wain is as good or better than the original. Watch Role Models with audio commentary if you haven't. The point I am trying to make is about jazz.
on September 15, 2009
Well, I had quite a nice compilation of The State episodes I had recorded on VHS when it aired. I edited out all the commercials and still had over 5 hours of quality scenes. I even paid to convert to DVD and gifted out to all my friends who adored the show as I did. Lots of good memories and lots of terrific skits.

So, the DVD has everything you remember. The popular skits and the smaller personal favorites. We all had our own. I haven't even had time to watch the entire set yet. My only beef, hence the four stars instead of five, is the music has changed.

Where once you'd hear a song you actually recognize, it has been oddly replaced with an acoustic version of a similar styled song. Like the "I Love Pants" skit, for example. It originally included a Breeders song, now it plays an odd rendition meant to mimic the original, but nowhere near the same.

Perhaps there are artist rights issues or something ...not certain, however the change in music does take away an element for me, as a State fan who has enjoyed watching poor quality VHS original skits since the show ended. For those COMPLETELY deprived of any State episodes for years, you will likely not even remember the songs that were (to me) an integral part of each skit. Thus, you may find this DVD to be a five star purchase.

Go for it. Or come on over for cocktails and we'll watch it together at my place. Swap stories about our favorite skits and characters and why. Cheers!
on December 23, 2010
I never watched The State when it was on the air, but my wife loved it so I picked this up as a gift. My only complaint is that there isn't more to watch! The show is at times hilarious despite the inevitable dud skits that come with the territory of sketch comedy. The State is host to a broad cast who you may recognize from more recent comedy bits. The theme song will get stuck in your head and you will find yourself quoting the various hilarious skits.

The State is a genuinely enjoyable series.
on August 14, 2009
I cannot give this set a 5 star review for a few reasons:
1) It is NOT worth the $79.99 List price.
Because...
2) Several scenes are re-dubbed to remove copywritten music that is playing or art that is in the background, etc. For a $79.99 list price, they should have bought the rights to this stuff. (How much can the Breeders want for the Video rights to Cannonball anyway? Go into Denny's and have them sign the release on their coffee break...)
3) It is not for everybody. If you have never seen the State before you may find this show is not for you. If you are a fan of any of the performers or the shows and projects by the same artists that came after, then definitely give it a try.

Still, I HAD to give this set at least 4 stars because: The Amazon price is much more reasonable than list, and this is REAL sketch comedy that is good, edgy, and takes risks. It is a rarity.

I haven't seen most of these shows since their original airings. I have only seen the first disk of the DVD so far, and I am not dissapointed with my purchase. There is just something about this show that makes me love it. Sketch comedy is not easy, and the 11 writers and performers of the State could have taken the SNL route and made bland uninteresting sketches for the masses with repetitive catch phrases. Their show would have had much more mass audience appeal and it might even still be running today. But it wouldn't be half as funny as what we have here.

While watching this show you get the feeling that the players were doing what made THEM laugh, and they were definitely having fun doing it. This is much more entertaining than the past 10 years of SNL or Mad TV. It is the true sign of good comedy. They take risks, are edgy without relying on a stream of profanities, and are not afraid to be just weird and stupid. Example: $240 worth of pudding. This is a Weird sketch about two guys talking to the camera about seducing and making love to $240 dollars worth of pudding. Sound Stupid? It is. Is it funny? IT IS HILARIOUS! (Note: They had to redub the soundtrack to take out the song "Sexual Healing", but even with the changes I was ROFL! How could they do and say that stuff with straight faces?!?)

Some of the sketches fall flat, but the show barrels on through like a freight train and just keeps on going. They just keep taking chances and there is very little of the repetitiveness you see in other sketch shows. The scene transitions are well done and they one of my favorite aspects of the show.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2011
There's no real way to describe this show without going into specifics, but this series is at times very funny, but overall just kinda meh...But it's worth watching through at least once or twice for the funny skits.
on November 1, 2009
Yes please!! The one and ONLY thing that would have made this DVD box-set perfect would have been the original music from when the episodes aired in the mid 90's. This is a bummer when you're anticipating "Sexual Healing", "Cannonball", or "Suck My Kiss" behind your favorite sketches. Still, this box-set is a must-have for any fan of sketch comedy. At the price it's being offered here - it's a steal!! Buy it! Buy it!! YOU SHOULD REALLY BUY THIS!!!! It'd make a great Xmas present for anyone who grew up in the 90's watching MTV. I bet you (the person reading this review) know someone who grew up in the 90's watching MTV. Maybe YOU grew up in the 90's watching MTV, feeling like "Doug" - misunderstood, but not really; oppressed, but not even. Or maybe you felt like "Louie" - you wanted to dip your balls in everything.

This is the one and only series MTV ever aired that didn't flat-out-suck!
Well... Beavis & Butthead had it's moments.
on December 4, 2013
It's nice they finally released this but it does not have the original soundtrack because of the licensing issues. Booo