5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Living The Statin Damage Crisis
I just finished reading Dr. Duane Graveline's latest book "The Statin Damage Crisis". I absolutely devoured it. It describes exactly what I am living and makes me feel very vindicated in of my arguments with narrow minded, tunnel visioned doctors.

Published on June 17, 2009 by Betty Coslett

2.0 out of 5 stars The Author Has It Right, But Fails to Deliver A Convincing Message.
The author, Dr. Duane Graveline, correctly assesses the impact of statin drugs on the body, but fails to provide a detailed scientific review of the evidence. As a scientist, I would have appreciated a more comprehensive evaluation of the published literature cited in this work. Instead, Dr. Graveline writes to inform the lay person, providing a cursory review of statin...
Published on June 22, 2010 by J. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Living The Statin Damage Crisis, June 17, 2009
Betty Coslett (Tucumcari, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)

I recently went to the neurologist again, he said they had done all the things there were to do, I could repeat my muscle biopsy (hospital surgery), they could take a piece from a different place and it "might" show something else. No, there will not be another muscle biopsy. I still have a big scar on my thigh from the last one. The biopsy didn't prove anything that I didn't already know, but confirmed I have a "muscle myopathy of undetermined orgin". The nuerologist agreed with me that it is "probably" caused by statins. He also told me they are seeing more and more of this. My rhuemotologist agrees it is probably statin damage. My nurse practioner and family doctor all agree that is probably caused by statins. My muscles continue to atrophy and feel like mush. I have so much weakness and both of these are progressing. After reading Dr. Graveline's book I know I'm not alone in fighting this battle. And it is a battle.

I took statins for four years after my coronary bypass surgery and had such muscle pain, cramps, and fatigue I thought my life was over. My heart doctor told me I would die if I didn't take statins. I finally decided it wasn't worth feeling like that, so I quit the statins. Three years later the pain isn't quite as bad, but it comes and goes, the weakness is getting worse, the fatigue is better some days than others, but never entirely goes away. The lack of energy is very difficult.

Dr. Graveline has done such a wonderful service with his work and book by sharing it with all of us who suffer from taking statins. Because of him I have taken Co-Q10 for several years. The doctors are just now beginning to recognize the need for it. He also gives us help on what supplements may be of benefit to us. I have just placed another order for three more copies of this new book. It's to important not to share it with medical staff and friends.

If I allowed myself, I could be very bitter about this but it wouldn't accomplish a thing. So I look forward to Doc's newsletters and any more new books he writes, knowing some one out there is trying to help us. I felt like I was so alone in this battle for so long. This book gives me courage and lets me now there are many more out there fighting the same things I am. God bless them.

For anyone considering or taking statins this book is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Statins Destruction of Normal Cells Functions, May 31, 2009
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
This book informs you of the damage to the normal function of our cells by statins. I am a retired Registered Nurse and have been suffering the results of prescriptions of Baycol & Pravachol given to me over 10 years ago. Every doctor and health care provider should read this as multitudes are having medical problems related to the over prescribing of statins. Surprisingly, physicians refuse to blame their conditions on the drugs. Its time for the brain washing to stop & this multibillion dollar industry to be investigated.

5.0 out of 5 stars a life saver - literally, May 7, 2009
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)

If you are taking statins, you would be well advised to read this book and share the numerous concerns it raises with your own Doctor. In fact, I've already bought an extra lending copy for friends and family!

Spacedoc, as Dr Duane Graveline is affectionately known, has a researched and written several excellent books on the subject of Statins. So I was looking forward to reading this one and was not disappointed.

The book is based upon extensive and comprehensive scientific published research and the relevant papers are listed by chapter at the end of the book.
The book identifies six major problems which statin users are going to have to deal with as a result of the defined action of the drug class known as Statins.

The six areas of our metabolism which get messed up might sound a little complex but spacedocs chatty style of writing makes the important stuff accessible. If you are non-technical you might feel you have to look a few words up but it will be well worth it and Spacedoc explains the consequences in plain language. If you take the medication or are thinking about it you need to know this stuff.

Spacedocs book will undoubtedly save some lives. It most certainly iwill improve the quality of life for most people who have already taken statins. Even those who feel compelled to continue with statins will gain some understanding of how to deal with the six areas of collateral damage as identified in the book.

Those involved in the prescribing and dispensing of statins would be well advised to read this book too. It is inevitable that the broadening criteria for medicating people, even healthy people, with statins is going to further highlight the crisis of statin damage referred to in the title.

Spacedoc, and the rest of use who have experienced statin medication, would like to share the fuller story with a wider audience for an informed scientific debate about the true extent of adverse reactions the so called super-drug known as Statin.

Reading this book has helped me to speak confidently about the adverse effects I experienced, and to engage others in the debate.
Thank you, Spacedoc for writing it!
Buy your doctor copy and make sure he reads it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great service to his fellow man., August 12, 2009
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
One month ago I came off my statin and came to know for a certainty that the strange and scary things that were happening to my entire organism were due to this drug. This was a great relief to finally understand what was happening to me. But also sobering, as I found out that some of the damage may be permanent, and some may show up later as I grow older.

Dr.Graveline has done a wonderful service over the last decade or so, in researching statin effects and writing his books, as well other things he has done to help make people aware of this very serious and little known problem. Thank you Dr.Graveline! I have done a lot of reading in the last few weeks including Dr.Graveline's first book on statins: Lipitor, Thief of Memory, and this most recent book. Much of his first book is repeated here, but vital information he became aware of later is included here. I appreciated very much his ideas on what treatments may help reverse statin damage.

This is certainly a "crisis". It seems almost everyone I know who is middle age and up is on a statin. The insideous thing is that drug companies have so succesfully marketed statins to the public and to doctors, and sold people on the idea statins are safe. Many who experience a gradual onset of symptoms are a bit puzzled at first, but say to themselves "I guess I'm just getting older fast." I am only 50 years old and started to feel so bad that I began to think I was almost done and had little chance of making it to 60. My fatique, exhaustion, joint and tendon pains, muscle weakness, foggy brain, deteriorating memory and eyesight, fading sex drive,(Maybe a bit more than irony that Pfizer's current and top selling drugs of all time are a statin, Lipitor, known to cause a reduction in sex drive and Viagara!), all happened so subtly at first that it reminds me of the old story of the frog who doesn't hop out of the gradually heating water until it is too late! The beginning of June all of the above got so much worse so quickly that it scared me deeply. I realized something was VERY wrong! I began to worry about how I would support my family if I could no longer work. Could I keep the house? Will I have to sleep on the same floor as the bathroom? If I become a cripple, will I be a burden to my family?

Since coming off the statin all this is reversing. I didn't fully realize how far I had deteriorated in some areas until I started to feel energy and vigor I had not felt in a long time! Many older people on statins, not being 50, (and thus more puzzled by their fast aging), may never discover that many of their problems are due to statins. The doctors are generally not alert to it, and it can be misinterpreted as problems common to aging. I give my doctor credit for being alert to test for high levels of CK, which indicated I did indeed have muscle damage. He also acknowledged that "these drugs may not be as good as we (the medical community) hoped they would be."

If you or your loved ones are on a statin, or considering taking one, you need to educate yourself. Dr.Gravelines book is well researched, and an excellent place to begin.

Some people may find the idea of widespread statin damage hard to believe. Once you read about how statins work, you will understand why likely EVERYONE who is on a statin is sustaining damage to their body, they just don't know it. I believe what is coming out today is just the tip of the iceburg. Just with a bit of checking with relatives and friends in the last few weeks here are a few experiences. A brother in law who had to stop his statin because he felt extremely old, experienced pain where he couldn't even turn a screwdriver. (in his 50's) Another brother in law who has such pain in his shoulder he has trouble raising it enough to put his shirt on. When he temporarily stops his statin the shoulder gets better. (50's) A woman who had to stop because of the crippling pain. An older man who lost all his strength. Now with dementia setting in he repeats himself a lot. And what he always says is "Don't take statins!" His neighbor came off because of the extreme pain. Another friend can hardly walk in the morning. (has always worked to stay in shape, early 60's) Another friend who drives a cab for a living came off because of the leg pain. But interestingly one day, while still on the statins, he picked up his wife and he COULD NOT FIND THE WAY HOME from a mile away! This scared them so much he went to the hospital. Two days of tests revealed no cause. "Statins don't do this" many say, but thousands of victims say otherwise.

The above experiences are all likely statin related, as symptoms immediately improved upon stopping the statin. Sadly, I have a friend who suffers from such exhaustion and fatique that he can't work, and often can't leave the house. The doctors have not been able to determine why. He has been on a high dose of statin for almost 3 years. He has also been prescribed another medication for his memory problems. I don't know if statins are the cause or to what extent, but I sure wish he would stop the statin for a while and see how he feels. The situation is so sad, and maybe doesn't have to be.

Thank you Dr.Graveline for giving statin sufferers knowledge and hope. Although you may be reaching an end to your physically active years early because of the statin damage, your experience has given new life to many thousands. I have deep personal empathy for you because I have personally felt this deterioration in my own body. Now I have hope for a better quality of life. We are so very grateful. Bless you. ([...])

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Graveline knows his stuff, November 21, 2009
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
I have been investigating the subject of cholesterol for many years and fully agree with Dr Graveline.

Our bodies need cholesterol, which is found in large quantities in every cell in the human body.
Our brain cells and nerve cells require significant quantities and why lowering cholesterol below our normal levels can be very dangerous.

I have met Dr Graveline and he is a very genuine doctor/researcher and the first to successfully alert the public to the risks of statins and the damage to neural cells including the brain and nervous system. He had the foresight to educate others on the dangers, and the courage to`speak out' against the medical fraternity that promote this class of drugs and believe they have no side effects.

As a practicing Naturopathic Physician and Clinical Nutritionist and author of the book `Cholesterol & The French Paradox' my research into cholesterol has been extensive. Lowering cholesterol by artificial interventions such as statin drugs, can lead to serious Alzheimer-like symptoms that are permanent and irreversible. We are seeing professional people today in their 40's and 50's who can no work because their memory was damaged by statins.

Cholesterol is one of the primary molecules in the human brain and makes up about 8% of the dry weight of the brain. It's essential to your ability to think, remember, and to act. In short, you would not be alive if you did not have cholesterol in your body.

The drive by practicing MDs to promote cholesterol-lowering drugs onto the population is alarming. We are fortunate that we have well-researched books to help consumers get the facts thanks to people like Dr Graveline.

One question that we are often asked is what level of cholesterol is actually normal? You should know that the current 'cholesterol level guidelines' are not based on `norm groups' which is normally how we determine what is normal for any medical test results. In other words, we study a large group of the population and determine what is normal and that results in a Bell Curve. The Cholesterol Test is different, because the test results/recommendations (as to whether your cholesterol is too high) is merely an opinion and not based on norm groups. Let me explain why this is important by way of an example:

People in the UK and France have identical cholesterol levels. However, a male in the UK has three times (3X) the risk of having a heart attack. But the cholesterol levels are the same. How can that be? Well it's because the relationship between cholesterol and heart disease is very weak, and UK people are getting more heart attacks because of other life-style factors. This is called The French Paradox.

So what is a normal cholesterol level? The average cholesterol level of males in the 46-64 age group in UK/France is 6.1mmol/L (235 mg/dl). And the `normal average spread' on the Bell Curve for these males is between 5.1 and 7.1 (equiv 200 - 278 mg/dl) and anyone within that range is normal.

Of course we can side-track the discussion and look at the dangers of HDL, LDL, VLDL etc. The reality is that these markers are - for the majority of people - totally irrelevant and do nothing other than impress patients that their doctor knows best.

If you believe in evolution, it would be hard to argue that reducing your cholesterol is in your best interest. Our cholesterol level is the result of millions of years of evolution. And yet today, countless people have put their faith in the opinion of a small group of 'cholesterol experts' believing they know better than Mother Nature.

And if you are a very religious person, you may well agree that the 'mass drive' for changing our cholesterol level seems wrong and in many way contrary to our inner beliefs.

Thank you Dr Graveline for taking the time in educating others for no personal gain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uneasy Reading, July 29, 2009
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
Dr. Graveline's new book is not easy reading. It is uneasy reading. It is a book that EVERY doctor should read. Statin damage was unheard of just five years ago. When a patient complained of aches, pain, fatigue, and muscle weakness it was dismissed by the doctor as, "You are getting older and these things happen." This "medical observation" is still going on and what we are seeing is the precursor to a pandemic. People (I can't imagine how many) are taking this chemical and have no idea what it is doing to them. This isn't a case of IF it will injure you, it is a case of WHEN. Dr. Graveline's previous book, Statin Drugs Side Effects, sets the stage for this new in-depth explanation of HOW the damage occurs. It is not a "fun" read. Time and time again you will find yourself going back over a paragraph or sentence, making notations and marking sections. For those of us groping for an answer to the damage that has been inflicted upon us, this is a big help in identifying our level of injury and what possibilities, if any, are available to us.

This is a book written by a doctor who has been seriously injured by the very product that was to help extend his life. This is real. This book, and the ones preceding it, reflect his sincere desire to warn us of the very serious side effects statins can impose on us. Like so many of us over 50, it is very sad to know that the "Golden Years" are going to be spent struggling to get around. You wonder how this could happen . . . ($$$$?).

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, April 19, 2010
RSD48 (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
My only criticism of this book is that it could use a good editor, but it is self published.

That said, how can I explain what it feels like to have a book make you cry - with relief! My mom was on a statin (Provacol) for 3-4 years before she died. None of us could understand what was happening to her. After starting the drug, she was ever more forgetful, irritable, uncooperative, depressed and picking fights. This was so not her! None of us connected the dots.

Then a few years ago I was put on the minimal dose of Lipitor when in my late 50's just because of family history of heart attack. My cholesterol was normal. I became progressively more forgetful, felt a loss of strength, developed quite a difficulty with night driving, began to feel uncoordinated. My somewhat troublesome right knee really escalated in pain and other joints started to hurt to the point that I did not want to walk any distance. Occasionally I was having trouble swallowing during dinner and then I started losing the feeling in my right small toe. I do not have diabetes. What's important to know here is this was all VERY gradual, so I never associated one thing with the other. I could not believe how OLD I felt @ 61.

I stumbled on Graveline's book after reading a series of other very eye opening books. (Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con", "The Modern Nutritional Disease: heart disease. stroke. type 2 diabetes, obesity and cancer by Ottoboni and Ottoboni, and "Trick and Treat by Barry Groves) They were a wealth of information about statins and their dark side that you never hear about. I found every one of my symptoms and all of my mother's listed as side effects of statins, even on low doses. The most scary thing is that these more subtle symptoms are rarely recognized by family physicians as having anything to do with statin use. There is even excellent evidence that having a cholesterol level that is pushed too low can greatly increase risk of stroke and mortality from a heart attack.

Read his story and you will be shocked at how much resistance he met with, despite his own medical degree, as far as people believing him that his horrible experiences were the result of taking Lipitor. Now there are several books out that are lifting the veil of secrecy that the Phama industry has been hoping you would never learn, since these drugs generate Billions - yes that's right - Billions of dollars in pure profit.

Dr. Graveline has become my hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Graveline is exposing the health dangers of taking risky statin drugs, September 23, 2009
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
If anyone knows about "statin damage" in the world today, it's got to be former astronaut Dr. Duane Graveline. As a medical doctor himself, Dr. Graveline realized that something was gravely wrong with him when he went to see his NASA physicians for his annual checkup and they diagnosed him with having amnesia as well other other neurological problems. At the time he was taking the popular statin drug Lipitor for his "high cholesterol" and was none the wiser about what this prescription was doing to him until he began researching it more for himself.

What Dr. Graveline discovered about these popular statins like Lipitor and Crestor is that they do a lot more damage to people than the FDA are letting on to the public and he sincerely believes we are in a state of "crisis" from it as a result. I used to take both Lipitor and Crestor myself prior to losing 180 pounds on the Atkins diet in 2004 and I experienced massive muscle and joint point that was so excruciating. Even now, five years later, I STILL have trouble with my finger joints getting sore when I play recreational sports like basketball or volleyball as a result of the damaging effects of taking these cholesterol-lowering medications.

This book explains exactly how statin drugs work, what they are physically doing to your body when you take them, why "high cholesterol" isn't the great health disaster that these pharmaceutical companies and medical professionals want you to believe it is, how chronic inflammation from consuming too many carbohydrates is a much bigger health issue to deal with regarding heart health, the role recommended diets like low-fat have played in this national calamity, and proven ways to reduce inflammation without the use of these risky statin drugs. Dr. Graveline has lived it himself, so he knows exactly what he's talking about. Reading his story of how he is struggling to this day because of what the statins did to him in both sad and eye-opening. He has committed his life to exposing this for all the world to see.

If you or someone you know is suffering from a statin-related illness which could include ALS, peripheral neuropathy, myopathy, chronic neuromuscular degeneration, Gulf War Syndrome, or aches in your joints and muscles while taking one of these drugs, then you owe it to yourself to read what Dr. Graveline has to share in this amazing book. He is trying to save millions more from suffering the same ill effects that he has while educating them that they probably don't need to be taking that statin prescription to begin with if they want to protect themselves against heart disease. Highly-recommended for anyone concerned about living healthy and staying healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Statin danger well documented, July 31, 2009
Murray A. Swanson (Issaquah, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
Beyond question,tnis is one of the most important health books in print. Statins are injuring millions of people in ways that may be irreversible, and here we have both the expose and the alternative. The simple failure to prescribe ubiquinol (Q10) concurently to protect the heart ought to be malpractice.

One of the most striking reports is that, if one uses sensitive measurements, 100% of patients on statins wlll experience some cognitive deficit. Muscle problems are more obvious. In my case, I was on 5 mg of Simvastatin for only five weeks and was having debilitating muscle problems. My problem was reversed--others might not be so fortunate.

According to Dr. Graveline, it is well proven that the benefit seen from statins is not in their cholesterol lowering effect but in their anti-inflammatory effect, and that can be had elsewhere without the risk. He offers suggestions.

For the most part, the book is easy to read, although technical details are sometimes necessary. The scientific basis and references notwithstanding, your doctor will not be inclined to read it. How unfortunate--another commentary on Big Pharma's dominance of today's medical scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!!, April 29, 2009
CKC (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Statin Damage Crisis (Paperback)
This book is a "must read" for anyone who is taking or has ever taken a statin drug. Anyone considering a statin would also be wise to read it before starting one. Space Doc has done amazing research on the damage caused in many statin users and he knows what he is talking about because he has experienced it first hand. Thousands of people are suffering in the dark but now with this book they will have the knowledge of how to stop and hopefully reverse the damage. Actually, this book should be required reading for every doctor and in medical schools worldwide.
Well written and easily understood.

The Statin Damage Crisis
The Statin Damage Crisis by Duane Graveline (Paperback - July 1, 2012)
$17.50 $12.60