Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon October 19, 2006
The Alden children (Henry 16, Jessie 14, Violet 12 and Benny 7) decide to take a trip to a nearby town. While they were waiting to change buses along the way they met the mysterious station manager, Frank and soon found themselves involved in the local problems. A factory was destroying the nearby river and tearing the town apart. Would the Aldens and the town be able to find a way to keep the needed jobs without destroying the river?

This 1974 entry into the long running Boxcar Children series of mysteries was one of the last to be written by the series originator, Gertrude Chandler Warner, who had begun the series in the 1940's with the idea of combining simple vocabulary with high interest plots aimed at beginning readers. Her idea and characters were a great success and have been enjoyed by generations of young readers since. The mysteries involved are slight, the characterizations do not go into depth and the solutions are simplistic to a sophisticated reader but to the target audience of beginning readers they are thrilling. The cliff hanging style of writing keeps them turning page after page to see what is next until they reach the end of these chapter books.
on October 22, 2013
This is one of the original "Boxcar Children" books by Gertrude Chandler Warner. And it, like all those in the series, involves the Alden children solving a mystery. In this 18th book of the series, the Alden children become stranded in a bus station due to weather. While there they discover a mystery that involves the pollution of a nearby river. It, like each of the original 19 books by this author, is a page turner, designed to keep children listening and involved in the tale. It provides a wonderful opportunity to talk about protecting the environment as well as relationships with other people.

I've noted that some reviewers consider the language pattern in the original books difficult....it's the pattern that was correct for the time period....and for good readers that's not a problem. Others consider the mysteries "contrived". These were books written by an elementary school teacher for children. I read the entire series to my daughters when they were small. We read them before bedtime, while waiting for appointments, and on trips. The plea was always..."Just one more chapter." Later, as independent readers the girls reread them many times. I still have the original 19 in hardback and have begun purchasing additional sets for my grandchildren.

My chief regret is that the original 19 books are not available in hard back form.

I wish I could say that the books that followed, written by other authors in the 1990s, were as good. My daughters, after reading a few, announced there was little of interest to them...they "just weren't written as well". They also didn't find much positive to say for the more "contemporary settings".
on November 26, 2014
I loved this series as a child. We bought them for our granddaughter and she also loves them. She is doing a book report on one of the books (can't remember which one). Stories are engrossing and always have a well explained ending.
on February 9, 2011
The Boxcar Children Bus Station Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner is book that you have to pay a lot of attention to; otherwise you have no idea what they are talking about!

One day Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny take the bus to a science and hobby fair in Oakdale. While they wait at the bus station, they meet two strange boys, and the bus station owner, Frank. The owner of a paint factory, across from Frank's house, is hurting the river and wants to destroy Frank's house to turn it into a parking lot! What will they do!

Almost every time I read a chapter, I would end up reading two! It was a very exciting book (at least to me). It was also kind of like Scooby Doo.

The main message of the book, was probably that you should help your environment and to not pollute.' cause It's bad for you and nature!
on January 11, 2014
I got this for my daughter to read because it can count towards her reading goal. These are books I grew up with and am really excited to share this w my daughter!!
on January 29, 2013
My daughter will finish a book a day if i let her and she is burning a whole in my pocket reading these as fast as she does. she loves all the books in the series
on April 19, 2015
this book was so awesome i like how the Aldens solve the argument and save the river i reccomend this book to every one i rate this book five stars
on January 29, 2013
My granddaughter age 6 loves for me to read these books to her. We are on book 18 but only have up to 22. A nice mystery with nice polite children.
on October 29, 2014
I liked how it was resolved but it wasn't really a mystery it was more of an argument that they did not know about until they solved it.
on November 5, 2014
this book is supper duper!!!it was so great!my child loved it! so did I!amazing,awesome,I had to finish it in one day!!!