5.0 out of 5 stars statistical techniques....
My class required the 15th edition. I saved a ton of money getting this book instead. Chapters are in the same order and the practice problems have been identical to the newer edition.
Published on September 22, 2011 by Guiness

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic coverage of Stats
The reason I say it's okay is because there are times I found it difficult to find the section of information and just looked it up online quicker with better examples online as well. This book is good for definitions and does give some examples.
Published 16 months ago by Tammy Powell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars statistical techniques...., September 22, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't get the newest addition. I saved 100 bucks., May 15, 2013
This review is from: Statistical Techniques in Business and Economics with Student CD (Hardcover)
I compared this book with the newest version. This book has only very slight differences from the newest text. I can't believe I would have paid more than a hundred bucks for the exact same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Overview of the Material, April 9, 2011
Statistical Techniques in Business and Economics by Lind, Marchal, and Wathen was my second statistical book, so I did have something to compare it against. My first statistics class used Business Statistics by David Levine. I found this book here to be easier to understand. One thing to keep in mind apparently is that different books teach the Z tables differently. The Levine book had taught them as cumulative tables. This book here teaches them as distance-from-the-mean. So that was confusing to realize at first, that the exact same nomenclature and exact same references were to two fairly different systems. If you are taking a class with a professor make sure you know which way the professor is intending to teach that material and choose a book (or supplementary book) that matches his or her style.

This book comes with a CD, but I didn't use it at all for the class, and I never had any issues. So while the CD might be helpful for some, it by no means is necessary to learn the material. Also the book fairly heavily promotes Connect, an online for-pay teaching system. There are Connect exercises everywhere in the book. I didn't use Connect either and again it did not impede my learning. So certainly people can use those extra systems but they are not necessary.

The examples were helpful and the graphics did a good job of illustrating the points.

I think the only time our class got tripped up by the book was in the discussion of analysis of variance, chapter 12. In this section it says, page 404, that "as the values of X increase, the F distribution ..." X had never been mentioned as a variable up until this point except as a mean. Then on page 405 you can see X in the formulas for the two standard deviations. So some students thought this was the X that the instructions were talking about. However, the book was actually talking about the *x axis value* (i.e. the F). On the slides that accompany this chapter the exact same sentence is given but with F instead of X. So I do think the book could use some editing to help situations like that be more clear. If nothing else the book's slides should match its text content.

Still, as long as you keep your eyes open for issues like that in general the book does a good job of helping students learn the material. Our class did very well with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!!!, November 7, 2010
The business program at MDC College uses a different book but the professor uses this particular book to teach, so I decided to go with this book instead of the one approved by the department. It is an excellent tool to help you understand the formulas and the ins and outs of statistics. Ilustrates with different examples easy for the common reader. It also brings a CD with a tutorial on how to compute and solve statistical problems using excell with the add on mega stat. In overrall I love it and I highly recommend it to anyone taking an statistics class. It is a very difficult class but this book makes it a lot easier to understand. Be aware thought you still need to study hard !!
Good luck in statistics!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and easy to follow., November 13, 2010
There are exercises throughout the book that help explain all of the problems. The book makes it easy to understand the ery complicated formulas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic coverage of Stats, July 10, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product, December 26, 2013
I think this product definitely lived up to and exceeded its expectations and was exactly what I was looking to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Business Stats, November 7, 2014
Pretty good textbook for learning Stats, which I went into hating, and came out of thinking it was not so bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars the transaction was great!, February 7, 2011
I purchased the international version of this book ,which happens to be the same as the us one, from "Everything mobile" through Amazon and I am very satisfy with my purchase. the book is was it was said to be and I receive the cd as promised.In addition, the book arrive faster than expected. thanks soo much!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Statistical Techniques, September 16, 2009
The book is good overall, but in some instances it does not provide clear clarification of equations. It completes the equations partially, but does not work it from beginning to end. This would make the exercises easier for the person who needs to see the problems worked visually.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Statistical Techniques in Business and Economics with Student CD
Statistical Techniques in Business and Economics with Student CD by Samuel Wathen (Hardcover - January 8, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01