4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly decent reference for a stat business user
Although my work has kept me hip deep in statistics for the past 25-odd years, I'm always faced with having to educate new hires and interns on the basics. That's always been a challenge since I either make it so simple that they don't become sufficiently comfortable with the tools they need, or I make it so complicated that they just glaze over.

So, thought...
Published on June 13, 2011 by Comdet

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for
I had hoped for a book that could help me through my statistics class and help me figure out how to work the problems etc. and this book had been recommended to me. It hasn't really been much of a help though and while it explains various statistical terms there isn't much on how to work statistics problems.
Published 9 months ago by Michell R. Lindsey

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly decent reference for a stat business user, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Statistics For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

So, thought this would help me create a more effective lesson plan. I had one past experience with the "dummy" book series and was not all that impressed. But, this was a very different story - it actually is a pretty decent primer on stats! No, it's not going to take the place of an intro stats class, nor will you be able to pass yourself off as a statistician even if you memorize the entire tome. But it does give a good grounding in the basic tools, and does so in a clear, easily understood manner.

I see the main user of this book as someone who needs to use stats in his/her job, and is not all that comfortable with basic concepts and how stats should/should not be used or interpreted. I don't see this as being much help to someone who is taking a stats course at anything above the junior high (or perhaps high school) level.

Granted, some of the book is more filler than instructive. I found the chapters on graphics to be rather useless - the space could have been put to better use by having additional examples for some of the more complicated routines, such as regressions.

But overall, a very good primer to have at hand if you're a business stat user and it has been a while since you sat in a stats course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book is really helpful for intro statistics classes, January 24, 2012
This review is from: Statistics For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book in a panic of my statistics class that started in January. Read the whole book before christmas break was over.When the class actually started I found it to be a great reference, when I was unclear on some of my lecture materials. This book offers a real easy to understand, everyday situation that allows an individual to relate to statistics. Good read, even better price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, October 11, 2013
Michell R. Lindsey (Spokane, Wa United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, choppy, and slow, April 18, 2012
Having read the excellent short (but rather old and non-technical) book How to Lie With Statistics, I decided I wanted to learn more. So much of what I read relies on statistics, and it can be difficult to tell what to accept and what to question. I wanted a beginner book that could present the concepts in more detail, yet appropriate for someone who hasn't studied math in nearly twenty years. Sadly, I found this book's presentation mind-numbing. The author repeats elementary concepts so often that I found myself skimming from page to page, looking for the real information. It's there, but padded with so much bland verbiage that I decided to skip it all. I may be a dummy when it comes to statistics, but I'm an impatient dummy. Get to the point. I have bought Statistics in Plain English and hope it's clearer and more concise than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping To Overcome My Phobia called "Statistics-itis", June 16, 2011
JT (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Statistics For Dummies (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Back in my college days I had a phobia called "Statistics-itis". My Stats class made me feel sick, so often didn't go to class. Then when I repeated the class again the next year, my phobia was still there with me.

Now here I am all these years later out in the corporate business world. Strangely I've noticed that I've become more fond of Statistics as the years have progressed. Without qualitative data/analysis to back up assumptions, decisions are made based upon qualitative considerations and I've noticed that the victors usually tend to be the most convincing arguers (even if those are truly not the best decisions available). So, more and more I've been trying to use qualitative data/analysis to support my positions...which has meant putting my past behind me and facing my Statistics-itis phobia.

I've took a stats class earlier this year and now I have obtained this Stats For Dummies book as a handy desk reference I can use. I'm really just doing basic Stats stuff like confidence levels and identifying outliers, but it is helpful to me to have a quick book to check back with to make sure I'm doing this stuff right - and Stats For Dummies is helping me with this. Who knows - maybe I'll become even braver and venture into some more advanced concepts!?

Overall, I give this book 5-stars based on accomplishing objective of being basic reference guide and for price/value. At only $13 bucks this is a good investment in yourself if you think you can leverage more of this stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Helpful, September 14, 2013
It is difficult to write a book for people who simply have a very difficult time with
numbers and math. I must admit I am one of those people. If they need a test
audience to see if such books really work for "dummies" I should surely be a candidate.
Maybe it is because i am do dense in this area that I am having a hard time with this book
but has been only marginally helpful. I class with a very patient instructor is probably
what I really need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, very light on theory, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Statistics For Dummies (Paperback)
UPDATE: I'm knocking this down to three stars. After finishing a very tough statistics course, I started browsing this book again, and I realized that the section on "comparing two population proportions" makes no mention at all of having to meet a success-failure condition (which is mentioned for a single-proportion hypothesis test). In fact, the example regarding the drug Adderall does not meet this condition. You don't even have to calculate the pooled estimate to see this; we're told that 8 of 210 subjects receiving a placebo were "successes." This is an invalid test and the results are therefore meaningless. If the author sees this, I'd appreciate any feedback in the comments.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I'm an old geezer who has found that he needs to dive back into statistics late in life. I never had any stats classes in college, though I did have calculus and one linear algebra class. Since then, I've learned a fair amount about statistics on my own, but that was a long time ago.

I originally got the same author's "Statistics Essentials for Dummies" book because I got the "Calculus Essentials for Dummies" book some months ago and was floored by how good it was. The essential statistics book let me down, largely because it moved too quickly, by which I mean the author sometimes waved a magic wand over a topic, threw out a formula, and that was that. I could plug in numbers but had no understanding.

This book suffers from that problem to a degree, but it provides a somewhat higher level of detail. A typical example is the standard deviation. Like many beginner texts, this one shows how to calculate it, but doesn't explain how it was developed, who came up with the idea for it, or why. The author does mention, at one point, that the distance from the point of inflection on a normal distribution curve to the mean is a single standard deviation, but that's as far as she goes. This is tantalizing; I would really love to understand *why* that is so. There is no time for that in a book of this scope. That means this is a beginning text for learning to apply statistical methods, not a book to explain the theory behind those methods.

Anyway, I plowed through the whole thing in the course of a headache-inducing weekend, and by that time, I had achieved my first milestone, being able to compute a simple linear regression. Because I moved so fast, there are doubtless some concepts that haven't stuck permanently, and I'll need to review. But the fact remains that, in a single weekend, I got through random variables, binomial and normal distributions, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, z-tables, t-tables, and finally, linear regression. I was one happy geezer when I closed the book.

So it was worth the modest purchase price. And it presented a relatively painless introduction to the topic, without on the one hand diving into abstract mathematical proofs (there are no proofs of any kind), or on the other, leaping over large topics with no explanation whatever.

At least one other reviewer noted that the book is repetitive. That's true. For example, the author harps on the dangers of not investigating surveys and polls you read about in the press far too often. If you didn't already know not to do that, you probably wouldn't be interested in learning statistics anyway. These and other oft-repeated topics could have been replaced by more substantive examples and explanations.

But I can apply all of the principles and formulas described in the book--in fact, I did, several times, while reading it--and I've gotten a good bootstrap on learning statistics. My personal goal is to go far beyond this book, to learn about machine learning, and apply those concepts both in R and in programming. But to get there, I had to start with the basics. I think this was a good, but maybe not great, place to start. I have now bought Statistics for Dummies II, because it covers other topics, including logistic regression, that I'm interested in.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool,when bad teaching, November 23, 2013
This book has helped my daughter get thru her college stats class, since the teacher is not much of a teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, approachable and well thought out., July 30, 2013
It seems a big call but I think this probably the best introductory stats book I have come across. The explanations are clear and simply make sense, making it much easier to actually "get" the underlying principles. You never get the feeling that the author is saying look how smart I am, why can't you keep up? A feeling many stats text can give. She also manages this without being trite or cute, quite an achievement. Never thought I would say this about a stats book, but it was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes a hard subject such as statistics an easy read!, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Statistics For Dummies (Paperback)
I am actually enjoying reading about statistics! I am excited about all the ways that reading this book will help me prepare for the class that I am about to take! I feel that it breaks statistics down for someone with no prior knowledge in a fun way. I am so glad that I have this to prepare for a hard and grueling statistics class. I am hoping to come into the class with an advantage... or head start because of this book!

Statistics For Dummies
Statistics For Dummies by Deborah J. Rumsey (Paperback - May 3, 2011)
$19.99 $11.29