"Cocotte" in French means "casserole," but there are a multitude of dishes that emerge delectably from Staub's signature French oven. This attractive 5-quart cocotte, available in an array of rich colors, is an ideal choice for slow-cooked stews and soups, casseroles, and roasted meats, as well as many other one-pot meals. Measuring 10-1/4 inches in diameter, the cocotte is constructed of durable cast iron with a black matte enameled interior and an enameled ceramic finish that extends to the pot and lid edges to prevent chipping and rusting. And with its decorative design, it serves as beautifully as it cooks.
Designed for oven or stovetop use, the cocotte features a smooth, heavy earthenware base that will never warp and can handle any cooking surface, including glass, induction, and convection. Like the pot itself, the handles and lid are cast iron for durability and even heat distribution and retention (handles and brass or stainless steel lid knobs do get hot, so use caution). The lid features innovative self-basting spikes to continually redistribute juices back to the ingredients as they cook. The black-matte enameled interior doesn't need seasoning and, as cooking oils seep into the pores over time, will become a self-seasoned, non-stick surface. Oven-safe to 500 degrees F, Staub's French oven doesn't need high heat and so should be used on low to medium settings. For best care, use with silicone or wooden utensils and wash by hand with non-abrasive cleaners. The cocotte comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Made in France.
From the Manufacturer
Why Cast Iron?
- Retains and redistributes heat for long periods of time
- Perfect for slow-cooking meals
- Perfect for beginners and professional cooks
Why Staub Enameled Cast Iron?
Because of its outstanding performance Staub is used and praised by the most celebrated chefs around the world.
- Self-basting spikes underneath the lid ensure continuous, natural basting
- The more you use your Staub product, the better it gets! Oils used when cooking will penetrate the pores of the matte enamel and create a natural, smooth, nonstick surface
- Special, smooth ceramic bottom is usable on all heat sources
- Lids feature stylish solid brass and stainless steel knobs
- Staub enameled cast iron products are highly durable, do not discolor or rust, resist chipping, do not require seasoning, and are ready to use immediately
The Staub journey begins in Alsace, France. Rich in history, food, and craft, it is a region renowned for hearty one-pot recipes. Staub has been producing the best cast iron products for professional and aspiring cooks since 1974. Staub’s French oven is a timeless standby for stews, roasts, soups, casseroles and other one-pot classics. Staub has perfected this tradition in our signature "La Cocotte" French Oven, the choice of some of the world's best chefs. La Cocotte moves beautifully from the stove to your table.