on December 29, 2009
We were about ready to return ours until we figured out that the lower the steam setting (even lower than the instructions), the less water is left on the floor or item (when used on items other than the floor) and the Steamfast's cleaning ability is not lessened by the lower setting. Also, if you are going to use it on both tile floors and wood floors in the same cleaning session and do not want to change pads, use it on the wood floors first at its lowest setting and then clean the tile second on medium. If you use the medium setting first, too much water will be left on whatever you use it afterward when you subsequently turn it down to low. Also, we have found that if you let the mop heat up on very low for a longer period of time, i.e., about a minute or so before using it, less water will be left on the floor. What would be great would be a setting that first heated up the mop with no steam.

However, it works very well getting our floors "squeaky clean;" and the floors seem to stay clean much longer. We are keeping it.

Now...what's with this complaint about weak handles from some other reviewers! The handle is made from thick tubular aluminum and is screwed into a deep socket of reinforced ABS plastic. You'd have to drive over it with a Mack Truck even to bend it...and I'd be more concerned about damage to the truck.

We have also tried the clothes steamer. That also works very well once you figure out how much steam to use without leaving water drips on the fabric. Disconnecting and using it as a hand steamer for various tasks (accessories included) is not the easiest task, due to how well the handle is attached; so some improvement could be made for this feature.

Also, if the water reservoir needs to be refilled during one session, the process is quite awkward in that the the fill receptacle is near the bottom of the reservoir making it necessary to lay the mop down on its side if you want to refill it to its capacity. However, the mop will clean about 1200 to 1400 square feet of flooring on one filling at its low setting.

The mechanism for putting on the the supplied pads is also awkward and difficult to use. Get the Bissel "slip-on" pads. They work much better.

When we were deciding whether or not to return the Steamfast, we borrowed the Euro-Pro Shark Pocket Steam Mop ($119.00 at Target) and a better Hahn ($99.00 from Amazon) from two of our neighbors to see if either did a better job. The Hahn was very slightly better at not leaving water on the wood floor, and just as good, but no better at cleaning. It did not clean tile and grout nearly as well as the Steamfast. The Pocket Mop did not clean as well, period; and sometimes left even more water on the floor. Neither has the versatility of the Steamfast.

The Steamfast is not a perfect product. Neither are any of the others in this genre; but with a few minor improvements, it could blow the others away; and at $74, it can perform many jobs besides cleaning floors very well. We are looking forward to using the other features and attachments.

Update:
My apologies for extolling the handle. Ours broke too, but in the middle sliding part. Steamfast is correcting the problem and quickly sent us a replacement part, which was unnecessary as the handle is easily repairable with a short sheet metal screw.
I still rate the product a full four stars and perhaps a little more for its performance.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 25, 2008
It's easy to assemble. However, the pole/handle has the option to lengthen or shorten and mine was stuck. I almost sent it back, because when I pulled on it, it seemed like it was going to break. Eventually, it came out, though. Just be aware that it should get longer if you need it to.
I did the kitchen floor last night. I wasn't "amazed" by the amount of dirt it picked up. It didn't pick up years of mud and grime, or change the color of my floor or anything! In fact, I will probably re-use the cloth provided once more before I wash it. But the floors really feel clean today, so I'm happy with the results. And- NO SOAP or CHEMICALS!

I'm interested to see how the handheld steamer works on showers and corners and the like. I chose this steamer over all others because it DID include both the floor mop and the handheld option, so I hope I made the right decision!
The overall "FEEL" of the product is definitely reminiscent of infomercial quality... it just doesn't feel like a Bissel or other household name would. But I'm willing to give it 30 days to prove itself to me. I'll update this as I've used it more!

UPDATE: I used it over the weekend on medium-high to steam clean the glass shower door and frame in the house I just purchased. I cannot tell you how many years of mildew and mold and funk this thing blasted away from the frame of this door! I spent probably 2 hours cleaning the shower that day because I couldn't believe how much of that stuff was built up in there. So it definitely earned it's place in our house for that reason.

The clothes steamer attachment, which also houses the squeegee attachment, seem to leak down my arm while I am trying to work, which is pretty annoying. And to do the shower job, I went through probably 15 paper towels (too icky for a regular towel) and 1 hand towel for wiping up the wetness.

Bottom line- It's not the greatest product in the world, but I've found some very valid uses for this. No other brand right now offers the hand steamer/mop combo, and I think it is worth the money to have both options available and only one small product to store.

Update #2: It no longer works and is being thrown out with the garbage this week. I had it for about a year and a half. Don't waste your money!!! I'm shopping a more reputable brand, and if I have to get a separate hand steamer from the mop, I guess that's just what I have to do!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2009
This is the best product I have ever purchased! The steamfast was ready to go right out of the box, no tools needed, just a few twists and clicks and you're off. I have some serious back injuries that prevent me from doing any deep cleaning. The steamfast has changed all that. First of all it is very light, no need to push down or scrub like you would using a swiffer or mop. Second it is easy to fill and operate. I first cleaned my wood laminate floors. I put it between low and medium, mopped following the grain pattern and the floors dried quickly and looked beautiful. If you have streaks when dry just use a lower setting. This is good enough for me and my family. The steamfast has a swivel head which gets under kitchen cabinets, furniture and behind the toilet. Next I steamed my oriental rug and chaise lounge, they looked beautiful. I changed from the mop head to the jet nozzel and cleaned the shower. I leave the handle on so I don't have to stoop or bend to reach the edges or the bottom of tub then just rinse with the shower head. For the next big job I used the jet nozzel and the hard utility brush (not the wire one) and cleaned my vinyl siding! Two of my neighbors saw me doing this and both were amazed at how well it worked and plan on purchasing a steamfast. For vinyl siding first spray with a garden hose, then steam brush the house on high, spray again with the garden hose and the bugs and gunk are gone. Move on to the next section and when finished it looks brand new. I was a bit worried that when I lifted it above my head that the steam/water would run down my arm but it doesn't. I used it on my bathroom and kitchen counters, stove and sinks with no chemicals! Today I will steam/squeegee my windows. I actually look forward to cleaning now. I did find the mopping pad to be too thin as some other owners had mentioned. I cut a folded dish towel using the enclosed pad as a pattern and use all 3 pads together when mopping. I also found when mopping that the mop head flips up on the backward stroke. I leant it to my sister who found this problem very frustrating. I simply taped a round weight on the top/front of the mop head which works perfectly. After several months of use the pole slips while mopping which is frustrating. I may purchase a replacement pole because this tool kicks #$$ !Eureka 169B Quick Up Vacuum,
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2009
First I used it hand-held with the jet nozzle to clean the toilet. WOW! That was easy. I then proceeded to the faucet and it's mirror to get rid of toothpaste, shaving cream and all the other junk that gets splashed around the toilet sink.......The sqeegie attachment made cleaning the mirror tooooo easy!The chrome sink faucet had a super polished look when I was done.

So I decided to attach the fabric attachment. I put the settingon low and took the wrinkles off a dress shirt in a few minutes. EASY!

The next day I put the mop attachment and handle on and cleaned the kitchen floor.
The floors were clean and odorless.

Once you understand how to use the setting for the job at hand everything goes without a hitch. This is the best investment ive made in a long time.

Now the only hing I have to look for is how long it last's and if that goes well I will be one very happy steamfast user.

UPDATE!!! Used it on bathroom tile and got rid of al the black mildew and and black gunk that grows in between the tiles. I found this so much more effective than using scrubbing bubbles or tolex because it actually removed the black gunk. I have never seen the grout so white and clean.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2008
This is the best product that I ever bought. The mop is wonderful and works extremely well. The pads could be thicker so I went out and bought a thick hand towel and cut it to fit. Now it's perfect. I also love the hand steamer. I use it in the bathroom around the toliet and when my kids spilled sticky stuff in the fridge and didn't wipe it up (of course!) I used the hand steamer and it came right off in two seconds! A must have if you have children!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2008
I am new to the steaming world, but this product has been good to me so far (2 tries into in). I read a lot reviews in Amazon for the predecessor of this (SF-290) and they were all around good. I am not sure if there were any improvements with SF-292 though.

I was tempted to get the Bissell, but this one had more versatility for use. It was a bit cheaper too. I love how I can clean pretty much anything now - shower door, steam clothes, grimy spots. Even if it doesn't take out any messiness itself, it loosens it to the point it's easy to wipe off without laborous scrubbing. And pretty easy to use - heats up fast, easy to assemble.

Same complaints as others though - cord is short, have to refill water after about 2 rooms.

Overall, pretty satisfied with this product and my money's worth.

p.s. per another poster, you can replace the pads with Bissell 3255 Steam Mop Microfiber Pad Replacements. Or any microfiber towel can do.
on February 11, 2009
This steamer works great! I have a new construction home and was having a terrible time getting my porcelain tile clean of all of the dirt and grime left behind. I had mopped the floors twice with my Swiffer Wet Jet but was still seeing a lot of streaking. I used this steamer once and not only did the floors look spectacular, they also felt clean. This steamer worked well on my hardwood floor as well. I made sure to mop it first and on low setting so as to not leave a lot of moisture behind, and it worked perfectly. The mop produces steam within just a matter of seconds and I was able to cover a good deal of my floor before having to refill the water canister. I have not had an opportunity to use this steamer in it's other forms ie clothes steamer or hand held steamer, but I plan on doing so very soon and will repost my review of them once I have, but as it stands now, I would most definitely recommend this product. It is a great value and does a superb job. As for the short cord issue that others have mentioned, I don't feel that the cord is exceptionally short, and I don't know that I would want it any longer, or I am afraid it would make it cumbersome to tote around. I did quite a bit of research before buying this product and am very glad that this is the steamer I chose.

Update
I have had my Steamfast 292 since the spring and I just love it. It cleans without streaking unlike many soapy floor products and I feel it is much more sanitary. Unlike other steam cleaners, this one has a swivel head which makes mopping around stationary objects very manageable. I have also used the hand steamer to clean my garage refrigerator when a case of cokes exploded inside. It made that cleanup practically effortless and reached all of the spots that a traditional sponge would not have touched. My daughter has borrowed my steam mop a couple of times to clean her floors because she has a toddler and doesn't want to use chemicals where he will be walking and crawling. She likes it so much that I just ordered her one of her own so that she can use it anytime she wants.

For the price, this steam cleaner is a real bargain and does a wonderful job.
on January 31, 2009
THIS HAS BEEN THE BEST MOP I HAVE EVER USED! WE HAVE A 11 MONTH OLD AND NOW I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WAITING UNTIL HE'S ASLPEEP TO CLEAN OR TO HAVE HIM INHAIL THE HARSH FUMES FROM CHEMICALS.
I AM A CLEAN FREAK AND AFTER USING THIS AND ALL THE ATTACHMENTS I NEVER KNEW MY HOUSE WAS SO DIRTY! I ALSO LIKE HOW IT CONVERTS TO A MOP AND A HAND HELD.
I READ A FEW REVIEWS SAYING HOW IT PUSHES DIRT INTO THE CORNERS. WELL I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT IT IS A MOP NOT A VACUUM. YOU STILL HAVE TO SWEEP BEFORE HAND, JUST LIKE MOPPING!!!!
TIP: TO AVOID LOTS OF WATER ON FLOOR USE SETTING ON LOW. MED AND HIGH ARE FOR REALLY TOUGH JOBS, EX: SHOWER TILES, GRILL ETC.
TRUST ME YOU WILL LOVE IT !!! - AMY FROM WEST VIRGINIA
on February 1, 2009
I have tried a lot of machines on my tile. I have the Hoover wet/dry vac, which just never scrubbed the tiles or grout. I also used to have the Bissell steam mop, which stopped working after a year. The Bissell mop was ok on tile, but it never cleaned grout.

So, I decided to try the SteamFast because of all the different ways you can use it and the cheap price tag. I used the pole extension, the jet nozzle and brass utility brush. The SteamFast definitely cleans the grout! My tile is really porous so I also used it in some of the nooks and cranny's that have collected dirt. I then used the mop head attachment and it was comparable to the way the Bissell mop performed.

However, I will forewarn you that this machine leaves a lot of water behind when you use the jet nozzle. I used our wet/dry vac to clean up the water on the floor, but I know I wouldn't be happy if I had to wipe up all that water with towels. Also, even though my grout and tile look great, it still is a job. The SteamFast is better then scrubbing the grout on my hands and knees, but it isn't any faster since you have to go back and clean up the (now dirty) water that the jet nozzle leaves behind.

Additional items to note before you buy this machine:
-it is loud when turned on
-you don't have to continuously hold a steam trigger button (like you do on the Bissell) because steam comes out right away, but be prepared for safety reasons
-the brushes will wear down so you will need to buy additional ones as needed
-you can use other steam mop fiber pads on this machine

Overall, I am really pleased with the SteamFast. It is the first machine that I have used that actually cleans grout, it is versatile, and it is and it is the cheapest out of all the machines I have purchased to date.
on January 26, 2009
I purchased this with high hopes. A 3-in-one mop, steamer and steam cleaner. While the steam cleaner is nice and works well, the mop feature which is what I really wanted, was disappointing. There is only two jets from which the steam comes from and it just left puddles and streaks all over my travertine floors. I ended up returning it and am contemplating the 15 jet Haan.