4.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy but effective

Published on November 6, 2011 by mama33girls

4.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy but effective, December 21, 2010
gksf (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop (Misc.)
Despite numerous complaints about poor customer service, I chose this model because it has variable steam output, also works as a handheld tool on vertical surfaces, does not get as hot as the sanitizing mops (and I hope is less likely to harm me or my bamboo floors), and gets some favorable reviews when it is working. I purchased this from a local electronics store (~$90) so I would not be at the mercy of the manufacturer's customer service in case of problems later.

I bought the Steamfast mop mainly to clean the stone tile floor of the bathroom. Squirt mopping with disposable cloths typically left my floor tacky, the grout dingy, and near the sink, a built-up film of hairspray residue.

I find this product works effectively when I start cleaning on a medium to low steam setting in the hand-held nozzle configuration around the tub rim, shower glass, toilet base, then (adding the handle and the stiff brush) pre-cleaning the floor tile grout, then switching to the mop head and steam mopping the stone tile floor on the lowest steam setting (per instructions).

Pros
Ready to mop just a few seconds after being turned on
No tacky residue on the tile floor
Floor dries quickly
With the nozzle/brush attachment and the long handle, I can clean the grout and toilet base without wearing gloves and kneeling
The mop head fits behind the toilet
Works on vertical surfaces and counter tops
Steam output is variable
Mop pad washes up nicely and air dries quickly
Reservoir capacity (~20 oz) was more than adequate to clean the whole bathroom.
Doesn't take up too much space hanging in the broom closet

Cons
-Like other mops, Steamfast pushes the dirt around on the fiber pad, which often needs rinsing during the job.
-If there is a lot of fiber, hair, or lint on the floor, the Steamfast mop tends to leave it behind in clumps.
-On all but the lowest steam settings (with the mop head on), the Steamfast leaves a fair amount of water on the surface being cleaned
-It is a bit cumbersome to get this out, fill up the tank, change attachments, adjust the handle, plug it in etc., and then empty and let the tank dry out when I am done.

Overall, I am satisfied with the Steamfast because it solves the problems I was having with the wet disposable cloth type of mop.

PS I use Bona system on my wood floors, but might I steam them once or twice a year in case of dirt buildup.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great until it quits, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop (Misc.)
I was so excited to get this steam mop. My sister had bought one and loved it so I ordered mine. I absolutely loved it. Loved how beautiful my floor looked after using it. After about 9 months my sister called to say hers just quit on her. She was bummed but we figured it was some weird fluke. Then almost exactly 9 months after I bought mine, it quit on me as well. $100 for 9 months of use is pretty expensive in my book. So disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the money!, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop (Misc.)
I am not sure about poor customer service for this machine at all! Seriously,every time I contacted customer service.I got through quickly, they sent extra steam mop pads for free, if there was an upgrade on the unit, they sent it without me asking. The price was fair. The mop itself, I was a little nervous to buy since I never heard of steamfast. But I must say, you should throw away your old mop, this item puts out the steam! The dirt lifted off my floor more than I expected and also the shine that returned was good. I love aromatherapy but this mop does not suggest it so you use only clean water but that's fine. I tried the garment steamer and it worked, just need a few seconds and the steam is powerful. over 200 degrees powerful, It is really good to strip of handle and burn off all grease in your oven. So the three in one feature is really impressive for versatility.

But what disappointed me recently and was that the pole base or plastic area where the mop meets the pole was cracking. could be from the rough use of others in my household who break everything. but the mop still works fine. no issues there and they will give you a discounted replacement after warranty. I still love this mop.

4.0 out of 5 stars STEAMFAST 3in1 STEAM MOP IS SUPERIOR TO ANY STEAM MOP I'VE USED IN PAST 5+ YEARS, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop (Misc.)
This is the 2nd STEAMFAST 3in1 STEAM MOP that I have purchased. I've been using first one for 3 yrs ALTHOUGH for the past 1-1/2 yrs I've been limited to using it ONLY on floors (and not as a handheld). I will explain that momentarily.

FIRST -- I want to point out the great features of this product. When dialing the STEAM function from low to high, the operation is top-notch for each steam level you choose. I was pleasantly surprised that even at a LOW ("MOP") SETTING, floors become beautifully clean and spot-free. There is no pooling of water on the floors, even when the pads are used over a large floor area. Because you're steaming with WATER ONLY, there is no sticky residue left which you find after mopping with a liquid cleaner, mop & bucket. The steaming operation is efficient, clean, odor-free, and VERY QUICK DRYING.

ALSO....the water reservoir on this STEAMFAST 3in1 is large enough to clean a very large floor area. Other products (SHARK...junk....for example), have small reservoirs and you have to keep filling them to do a normal-size floor. ALSO....the steam comes out of the STEAMFAST 3in1 in a steady flow. There's no spurting or spewing of steam or water like you'll experience in other steam mops (like Shark). You DON'T HAVE TO PUMP THE HANDLE during the operation (like you do with Shark junk). You simply glide the mop and the steam comes out uniformly through the pad surface. (No "stripes" of steam or water spurting/leaking like you experience with other steam mops on the market.)

MY REASON FOR NOT giving the STEAMFAST 3in1 a full 5-star rating is due to the fact that I can no longer conveniently utilize the handheld functions of the unit I purchased 3 yrs ago --- even though I am still using it frequently for floor car. While I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE how great this unit cleans laminate and hardwood floors, I was disappointed that after 1-1/2 yrs I was no longer able to use it as a handheld unit because the plastic area of the unit cracked where it screws onto the pole. It cracked at that point and pieces broke off. This breakage at that connection point resulted in my having to use layers of heavy tape to keep the unit & pole RIGID for use on hard floors.

Obviously the gauge of plastic used by the manufacturer AT THAT POINT WHERE UNIT CONNECTS TO POLE is not strong enough to accommodate the weight of the unit when connected to pole. This is a manufacturer's flaw which has affected the usage versatility of my FIRST unit because I have to keep the unit TAPED TIGHTLY to the pole for floor usage. It would be difficult to have to un-tape & re-tape the unit to the pole if changing usage from floors to handheld and back again. So I basically just left the 2 pcs taped together (adding tape as needed for on-going strength) and stopped using my 1st unit for handheld functions.

I read this same FLAW COMPLAINT on an AMAZON REVIEW at the time I recently purchased this identical 2nd unit ---- so obviously the flaw had not been corrected in the 3 yrs since my original purchase. HOWEVER....I still like this Steamfast Steam Mop so much better than any other steam mop I've tried over the years. So regardless of the described FLAW, it is still worth it to me to buy a 2nd one (as backup) and also to regain the handheld functions with the newer one.

To further compliment the STEAMFAST, I'd like to point out that over the 2 years prior to purchasing my first STEAMFAST, I HAD GONE THROUGH THREE (3) SHARK STEAM MOPS----ALL OF WHICH STOPPED WORKING WITHIN MONTHS. Only 1 out of 3 Sharks lasted a year -- the other 2 quit abruptly (burned up!?!) after 3 -6 months of usage. I was GIVEN 2 of the Sharks after my first one broke --- so thankfully I only wasted my OWN money on one (1) Shark. In my opinion, SHARK PRODUCTS ARE SUCH THROW-AWAY JUNK -- and SHARK MUST KNOW IT, obviously -- because they keep changing their steam models and renaming them so that people continue buying them (thinking they're "new & improved" -- even though they continue to burn up and frequently quit within 1st year). At my recommendation, friends & family have stopped wasting their money on them and have instead purchased the STEAMFAST 3in1, with great satisfaction.

So STEAMFAST, regardless of the plastic flaw which I wish the manuf. would fix, is A FAR SUPERIOR PRODUCT. It's why I didn't hesitate to buy a 2nd one even when 1st one is still functioning. PLUS.....I paid $100 for my first STEAMFAST 3 yrs ago and was pleasantly surprised when I recently found the 3in1 STEAMFAST for just $60 on Amazon. While I was disappointed to read a review on AMAZON which criticized the same plastic breakage flaw that I had experienced on my 1st Steamfast 3in1, I still like this product so much for hard floor cleaning that I was willing to purchase a 2nd one.

PLEASE NOTE: I have always used DISTILLED WATER in my Steamfast (just as I did in the junk Shark steamers) and will continue to do so. I only occasionally use the vinegar to clean it as described in the owners manual. I've never encountered any clogs or interrupted steaming operation, quite possibly because I religiously use DISTILLED WATER.

ALSO NOTE: I purchased extra pads after about a year of using my first unit because a few spots on the velcro area of the pad (the side which attaches to the mop head) started to tear at the seams. The stitching at those places on a couple pads looked like it didn't leave enough "hem" so the stitching tore free at a couple places. I STILL USE THESE SAME PADS since the stitching "tears" on the velcro side of the pads DO NOT AFFECT THE FUNCTION of the pad surface which touches the floor. This stitching weakness was just on 2 pads. I have not had this problem occur on other pads.

SO REGARDLESS OF THE PLASTIC FLAW I've described -- I still highly recommend this product to anyone who will be using it DAILY or WEEKLY.

2.0 out of 5 stars Numerous Design Defects, November 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As someone who strives to keep harsh chemicals and cleaners out of our home, I love using steam to clean both floors and hard surfaces like kitchen and bath fixtures, greasy stove tops, etc. So it's not surprising that I've bought other steam-cleaning appliances (like the BISSELL Steam Shot Hard-Surface Cleaner, 39N7A) and steam-mops (like the Haan SI-35R Floor Sanitizer, Red). Although I'm very happy with my Haan mop, the Bissel hard surface cleaner left much to be desired, and so I jumped at the chance to try the Steamfast for free via the Amazon Vine program.

On first use, I opted to mop my kitchen floor since I'd just finished sweeping and vacuuming it: one of the most difficult cleaning tasks in my home. My floor is white, ceramic tile with dark gray grout. Thanks to our two cats, our dog, and my love of cooking, our kitchen floor needs a thorough mopping several times throughout the week. In other words, when I tried this mop today (Friday), it had only been two days since I'd last mopped it. That's about normal for us, so I didn't give it any more difficult a challenge than my Haan faces regularly.

I was very disappointed to see this mop puts out more water (versus steam) than the Haan, and as a result it doesn't dislodge or lift up stains or smears as quickly. It also takes longer to dry. Since I thought I might have done something wrong that caused so much water to be left behind, I read the instruction manual and found that, although I was using it properly, this mop doesn't heat up enough to actually sanitize on the first pass... hence why there was so much water on the floor, because it was putting out hot water but NOT steam.

Using the mop felt clunky. The base swivels unexpectedly, which was frustrating, and the lock/unlock on the extension pole didn't completely keep the pole from collapsing when I pushed down harder to get rid of some gunk the mop was taking too long to lift up. Also, the constant click-click-click sound just about drove me nuts. I did like the extra space on the mop pad that allows for easy removal: just step on it with your toe and lift the mop.

My second use was in the hope of replacing my Bissel Hard Surface cleaner, which is much heavier than this device. Following directions, I decided to use this on my oven, much as you see in the manufacturer's photos on this Amazon page. What those photos don't show is the huge puddle of water that forms when you do that, or how that water is so hot that you can't follow right away with a cloth to clean loosened grease before it hardens again. And, although this machine is lighter than the Bissel, I found it more awkward to hold.

To summarize:

PROS - Lightweight, heats quickly, doesn't require harsh chemicals or cleaners, washable mop pads that are easy to remove.

CONS - Doesn't actually create steam, requires 2 minutes _continuous_ contact to sanitize a surface, uncontrollable swivel head, not enough space to wrap cord, constant irritating noise from the motor.

3.0 out of 5 stars sorta dinky..., October 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've got hard floors (tile and bamboo) throughout our house so the steam mop has become a serious tool in my cleaning arsenal these past few years. A year or so ago I finally invested in a heavy duty one that also holds cleaner, but we always need an extra mop for the laundry room or the upstairs bathroom, etc. for faster cleanups in smaller places.

This mop is good to have if you just need a steam mop for occasional use, but even then you can get much better mops for the same price. The problem is the mop just isn't made to tackle any sort of medium-large area. The mop pads are hard to put on and flimsy and for some reason they don't glide across the floor like every other steam mop I have ever used. It also seems to not be thick/fluffy enough to get the grout when you guide the mop over the floor- you have to stop and really scrub each piece of grout.

The steam isn't as hot as some other models, so while that means you can use it on more floor varieties, you won't get as deep of a clean.

The "add water as you go" feature is nice (I do that anyway with all my mops... hmmm), but the water tank is pretty tiny so if you are doing a significant area, you'll run out of water fast. I kinda like to clean in one big swoop, so I prefer a large capacity water tank.

This is not really a great cleaner. If you need it for just touch ups, or spill cleaning, then it's okay. But if you want it for regular cleaning, at the same price range you can purchase something that will actually help you save time and effort, instead of a mop that needs to be fussed with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Options Out There - Keep Shopping, October 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already own a Hoover TwinTank Disinfecting Steam Mop - WH20200which I really like, but when I had the opportunity to try this product, I opted to do so. I have nearly 1500 square feet of hard-surface floors, so an additional steam mop can come in handy. But this product is a real disappointment.

I found it really hard to push this mop across the floor, at least in comparison to my other steam mop which glides smoothly. This one's microfiber pad seemed to grip the floor too much, and I ended up with a slight backache from trying to push it. But, to its credit, it did seem to clean up smudges and dirt pretty well. But at a significant cost to my back.

Secondly, the mop head kept falling off. When assembling the unit, it says to insert the handle into the head until the release button pops through the hole in the back. I did that, but due to the herky-jerky movement of the cleaner, it still popped the head loose, resulting in steam pouring from the unit. The mop head is a rather awkward square shape (my Hoover has a triangle shaped head which really gets into the corners).

This unit also does not utilize a trigger to release the steam. Once the unit is warmed up, it begins spewing the steam out and there is no way to stop it other than turning the unit off. While that may sound good in theory, in practice it is really annoying. I prefer to choose when and how much steam I apply rather than have the machine do it for me.

Additionally, I think the cord on this is too short;it won't even reach from one end of my kitchen to the other, so I have
to unplug at least once. Which brings me to my last complaint. This machine's lack of a safe place to stand it while I am headed back to the outlet is a problem. I don't want to leave the hot mop head in contact with the floor for any extended periods of time (it has the potential to harm the finish), so to keep it from staying in contact with the floor, I have to lay the unit up on the counter top, which is really annoying and inconvenient. The Hoover came with a silicone tray for placing under the hot mop head. This protects the floor and is a great idea.

Do yourself a favor and pass on this unit. For about $30 more, you can get the Hoover, which I think outperforms this one hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tina, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop (Misc.)
I've had my Model SF-294, 3 in 1 steam cleaner about two years and did not purchase it from Amazon. I purchased it from H. S. who no longer carries it. When a friend of mine wanted to purchase a second one because her first one was in storage, I checked Amazon and sure enough it was available. I love love love mine and use the hand held steamer even more than the floor steamer. I use robots to vacuum and clean my floors. Most of all I like using the hand held steamer to clean my microwave oven, kitchen sinks and bathrooms. Everyone should have one. I highly recommend it. When I use it to clean my bathroom, of course, no part of it touches anything as I keep it a few inches away. I clean everything in the bathroom and then use paper towels to wipe up afterwards. My bathroom sparkles. I use it on the kitchen sink to reach areas between the under mount sink and granite that I would not otherwise be able to reach. I do lower the setting when using it around the granite.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this steam mop!!, April 18, 2014
Cynthia Carley (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop (Misc.)
I'm writing this review to let others know I've had this model of the Steamfast mops for at least 5 years, and it's just now dying. I LOVE this thing! I have severe lung disease, so I can't use any chemicals, nor can I put any physical effort into cleaning the floors, so this is perfect for me. It heats up superfast and really does the job. A few years ago I had puppies and got some dried puppy poo on one of my laminate floors. This mop made quick work of steaming it off with no extra effort, other than it took a couple of minutes more. I use it almost daily, but use microfiber rags on it, instead of the pads that came with it. I just wrap them around the base & use binder clips to hold them on. The top part of the mop comes apart to use as a separate steam cleaner, but doesn't have enough power for my liking, so I have a heavy duty steam cleaner for the rest of my jobs. I'm going to a different model now, without the detachable small steamer, but I'm sure I'm going to love the new one, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Not Outstanding...., November 27, 2013
Daniel V. Reilly (Upstate New York, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My Wife loves Steam Mops....we have a bunch of them, and she's become a connoisseur. Personally, I hate them....I find that they accumulate dirt and hair and just kind of push them around. I'd rather sweep and then use a regular mop. So this review is based upon observations relayed to em by my Wife:

She loved how quickly the mop warmed up and was ready to go. The floor had no sticky feeling when she was done, and the conversion to a handheld steamer was easy and efficient. Her only complaint was that it seemed to leave a little more water on the floor than she was used to, but overall, she was quite satisfied.

Steamfast SF-294 3-in-1 Steam Mop