Customer Discussions > Dishonored - PC forum

Steamworks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 9:48:02 AM PDT
elucid83 says:
I read online that this game has steamworks and wondering why Amazon hasnt posted that. Instead they post a GFWL box cover...no buy if its GFWL.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 10:18:02 AM PDT
SPLA5H says:
Yes, Dishonored is being published by Bethesda who uses Steamworks DRM for all their games going forward. Amazon doesn't always post when a game uses Steamworks. It's usually 50/50 on when they do.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:06:28 AM PDT
elucid83 says:
Ya I figured just wanted to be sure. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 2:57:06 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:37:32 AM PDT
ERW says:
Surprised there isn't a download version for this.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 2:30:49 PM PDT
pedrovay2003 says:
I'll be honest, I'd be more inclined to pick this up for the PC if it used GFWL, since there would be a chance that no Internet connection would be required, even for activation. That's how the retail version of Dark Souls works. I guess this'll be an Xbox 360 purchase for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 10:58:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2012 11:16:36 AM PDT
H. Le says:
Pedrovay2003,

There is also a chance that GFWL will use double DRM such as in the case of Batman:Akham City, where there are both online activation *and* disc-check DRMs.

The problem with GFWL is that it's difficult to find out ahead of time exactly what kind of DRM is being used - since GFWL is not being upfront about DRM information.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 1:46:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 9, 2012 1:46:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 3:03:40 PM PDT
J. DeWitt says:
There was and is, on Steam.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:34:16 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
@Pedrovay2003,

I can't imagine why anyone would like GFWL over Steam. GFWL has been a headache for me any time I've had to deal with it. Steam is a much more user friendly DRM.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 7:27:47 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
That's great information, but Amazon will honor it's 30 day software refund policy on games that require online activation/account management. I have personally tested this feature and was refunded my purchase without issue.

So irregardless of whether you were informed at purchase or not, you can return the game.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:31:36 PM PDT
Warmskin says:
To anyone who has purchased the actual boxed game (dvd) here: Does it come with much of a manual (*printed*, that is)? If so, is much info included? I miss the time when games came with manuals. I don't mind if I have to go thru the whole d/l on Steam (like Skyrim), I just want an actual printed manual to read. Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 11:42:05 AM PDT
pedrovay2003 says:
I agree, it sucks that you have to guess what's going to happen with GFWL. At least there's a chance that you'll get lucky and there'll be no DRM. That barely EVER happens with Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 11:42:33 AM PDT
pedrovay2003 says:
@Eli Oliver

I've never had a single issue with GFWL, but I've had plenty of issues with Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 9:07:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 10:23:27 AM PDT
H. Le says:
pedrovay2003,

"At least there's a chance that you'll get lucky and there'll be no DRM."

There is *no* chance of a GFWL being DRM-free - because GFWL *is* DRM.

Therefore, just like Steam, you'll get DRM with GFWL no matter what; but yes, it's good that we agree on the crapshoot nature of GFWL DRM schemes.

PS. I also want to clarify that while GFWL (games for windows live) is a DRM scheme, GFW (games for windows) is not.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 3:56:16 PM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
@pedrovay2003

I'm curious... Just what issues have you had with Steam?

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 7:08:34 AM PDT
Sorlac says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 7:41:08 PM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Hahaha... I'm just the opposite Sorlac. I can live with Steam but GFWL is an automatic no buy for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 7:48:47 PM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Hi warmskin. It does come with a manual.

BTW If you have a disc, you don't need to download the game from Steam. I should install from the disc. If you ended up downloading Skyrim even though you had the disc, you did something wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 4:48:57 PM PDT
orangepossum says:
It's games for windows, not games for windows live.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 10:11:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 10:11:57 AM PDT
Adem Ritchie says:
@ pedrovay2003

I'm the very opposite: activating a game or DLC on GFWL is a damned nightmare every time for me, whereas Steam does it easily and efficiently. Just how it goes sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 11:41:25 AM PDT
H. Le says:
orangepossum,

Very good point, as pointed out by a statement from an article: "GFWL is not to be confused with its benign brother, plain-old Games for Windows."

Link to the article about GFWL: http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1223378p1.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 11:29:33 AM PST
Paul Webb says:
I third what some of the other customers are saying. Trying to set up GFWL with Arkham Asylum was a freaking nightmare and I actually lost count of how many times it failed before I finally got it set up correctly - and this was with a gamertag I'd had and used on my 360 for years.

Steam? Outside of software/OS issues (which isn't Steam's fault), I've NEVER had an issue. Not once.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 5:41:37 PM PST
Fani says:
Just curious - what issues people face with GFWL? I have a few games that use GFWL and have yet to encounter an issue. I have Steam as well and prefer Steam simply because my collection over last years is there and i like to centralize it all. But GFWL never gave me trouble even once.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 12:33:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2013 11:12:33 AM PDT
H. Le says:
Fani,

Besides the double DRM issues, as Paul Webb indicated, please check out the Batman: Arkham Asylum reviews for some examples of GFWL issues. I also have the same problem described by Paul Webb, but not only that, after I played the game, in order to uninstall the game, I have to go through another hassle of a registry edit (Google "cannot uninstall batman akham asylum" for more info). In addition, I also had problem with GFWL in Gears of War, where my saved games disappeared.

To be fair, I also have other GFWL games without any issues, such as Bulletstorm or Resident Evil 5 -- But when taken into consideration of all the games I have, and all the DRM schemes that I've dealt with vs. the DRM related problems that I actually experienced, then GFWL is one of the worst.

BTW, be sure to read the article that I linked to in my previous post (please let me know if you want me to post the entire article). Consider that you'd have to mess up really badly in order for an industry insider/journalist to call you out in such direct and critical manners; that is exactly what GFWL managed to do.

Update: GFWL is officially dead.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dishonored - PC forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dishonored - PC
Dishonored - PC by Bethesda Softworks (Windows 7 / Vista)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (261)