Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Steel Alloy EZ Layout Expander Set
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 17, 2011
This is not actualy a complete train set, but an expansion for one of bachmann's own sets. This paticular set has the older, black roadbed with steel rails, so they need to be cleaned more than the newer slightly more expensive nickel silver. I bought this to expand my son's train set that we got at a swap meet, and it says it is supposed to come with remote switches (AKA turnouts, points.) but when we opened it it came with manual sitches. It also said it was supposed to some with 2 bumpers, we didn't get those. Maybe that was a packing error, but Bachmann was nice and sent us the bumpers. Overall, a great EXPANSION set. Not for people looking for a starter set, unless they are getting a starter set with this.

If I haven't stressed this enough I have heard reviews about this set saying "This set doesn't come with a train, it is only track" That is what it is supposed to be, not a complete set, but an EXPANSION set, designed to compliment a starter set.
on July 19, 2011
I have read previous reviews about this expansion not having electric swichers. I ordered mine and the swichers are electric. The wires connect to the power supply on the accy side. when switching you flip the switch and tap the button and it works great. This is how they are supposed to work. If you hold the button down to long you will burn it out, just a one second tap is all that is needed. If you want to see how it works please visit BUBBA0725 on YOUTUBE and watch the short video of Nick's first train set with 3 switchers and the expansion st. If you have any questions please post them there and I will answer the best I can. 5 star review on this product from me. Happy modeling!
on January 6, 2009
I would caution anyone who thinks their young child 5-7 could do this on their own. You have to be careful to get the pieces in just right or you will break them. If this is going to be a train for a child going through a phase then it is fine but this is definately not heirloom quaility. What is these days? My son is able to play with his grandfather's 50+ year old train but that won't be the case with this one.
on February 2, 2015
The box lid is incorrect. It does not have remote switches , it has manual switches . The box picture was a miss print. Other than that, the price is right. Bachmann does not offer an after market switch machine and controller as does Atlas track. So don't pland on converting the manual to remote.
on November 30, 2013
We're beginners, started with a Christmas set last year and wanted to expand this year. Everything fits seamlessly with our Bachman set. So far so good.
on February 23, 2015
The straight and curved tracks are good as ez track goes. The left and right turnouts are terrible. I tried every imaginable way to get them to work properly, but no luck. They cause the train to derail and twice caused the train to fall off the table and broke the coupling on my Santa Fe Flyer engine. Next time I won't skimp on a cheaper product and buy a better quality turnout.
I will say the Service Rep was very helpful in doing my return package and that service alone will keep me shopping with Amazon.
on March 20, 2015
Bachmann Industries Inc., has done it again. The moment I saw the elegantly-designed box featuring a tableau of Americana, so poignant, so deliciously retrospective that I hesitated, breath held, for the moment of revelation. Setting aside the scissors, the box easily gave way to a force pinch of my thumb and forefinger and inside, revealed like the summit of human ingenuity resting in snow (albeit hard-plastic snow), I was agape. I was agog. My mind reeling from memories long past, spiraling deep into my consciousness uplifting a spirit, so long asleep--so long desperate to resurface and join the waking mind.

Connecting the tracks was indeed as a I remember, locking two separate but adjoining journeys into a single common goal. Snap. Adjust. Snap. Adjust. The possibilities remained so open and tantalizing that I had to give pause to identify how best to assimilate the potential circuit. At last settling on a configuration that delivered a choice of journey, but without an interruption so as to pause too long and miss an opportunity.

Will this expansion yield the summit of childhood for a father's son, so restlessly building empires in Minecraft or trapping villains in Skylander--sadly, no. But will this father sit in the garage and run childhood dreams around in circles with bourbon? Yes. Yes, indeed.

And for that, Bachmann Industries Inc. I am grateful. Eternally grateful. God speed, Bachmann Industries Inc. God speed.
on March 3, 2010
Write up states one left and one right remote turn-outs. In reality, they are both 'MANUAL' turn-outs. I am returning this product.
on June 21, 2015
My son loves this set. Easy for him to switch up the layout and we have had no issues with it. He received this when he was 6 and now he is almost 11 and it is still providing him much joy.
on March 12, 2013
My son loves his trains, but you have to be extremely careful when disassembling the tracks as the metal ends bend very easily