Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on April 24, 2005
We love steel cut oats and go to great lengths to find good oats. Prior to trying Honeyville Farms Steel Cut oats, we were big on McCann's steel cut oats. However, McCann's quickly started to get really expensive!

Honeyville Farms Steel Cut oats are fantastic. They cook well, have great texture and satisfy us every time.

Highly recommended!
on March 13, 2006
I was a little skeptical when I saw the price difference between these oats and McCanns, which I normally buy. But the other positive reviews made me buy and I'm really glad I did. This is an awesome product and you just can't beat the price. Highly recommended.
Some people tell me they are having trouble finding steel-cut oats in their grocery stores. This is a huge can that will last a while, well, some while if you eat oats a lot.

Steel-cut oats are oat kernels that are dehusked and then cut as described into groats that cook up faster than the whole kernel. If you are used to rolled oats only, you will be surprised by the texture, which is a porridge like broken-up rice rather than fat, thick flakes. There is a slight "crunch" --even when fully cooked there is a tad of toothiness to the texture. At first, this may put you off, but over time, you may find, as we have, that steel-cut oats topped with a sliver of butter or a dash of milk and a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup, makes a great, nourishing breakfast. We add salt to ours and sometimes just eat it with butter and no sweetner. They are also good cooked with raisins or prunes and topped with cinnamon and a sprinkling of raw sugar. Mixed with stewed fruit, it can even be served as a dessert.
on September 18, 2005
best buy for the money and very good service. I will purchase all my oats from this firm in the future.

dfg
on November 27, 2007
I have been eating "oatmeal" most mornings for over 50 years. I was raised on Quaker Oats. About 20 years ago, I discovered McCann's Steel Cut (Or Irish) Oats at a resort. Goodbye mushy Quaker Oats. About 5 years ago, I discovered Honeyville Farms. Goodbye overpriced McCann's.

The quality is excellent. I rarely find a husk, which I did all the time with McCann's. They are probably 60-80% cheaper than McCann's and I think they are fresher with a richer, nuttier taste. The 70 oz tins are vacuum sealed with a desiccant for excellent long-term storage.

The common oat is a cereal grain. Oats have a tough inedible outer husk. Inside the husk is the "groat", consisting of the grain or germ inside a bran casing. Oat bran is higher in fiber than any other cereal grain and believed to have cholesterol-lowering properties.

Whole oat groats with the bran intact require extended cooking time (20-30 minutes). One solution is "rolled oats". Rolled oats are traditionally oat groats that have been rolled into flat flakes under heavy rollers and then steamed and lightly toasted. For "quick" oatmeal, the bran is removed or "treated" (steamed) to soften it. The result is a fairly mushy "oatmeal" with very little fiber and little of the nutty oat taste.

The alternative is "steel cut" or "Irish" oats. These are sliced, rather than smashed, and the bran is usually left intact. They resemble small rice pieces. They require longer cooking time than rolled oats, but the result is a much heartier cereal with a rich nutty flavor and lots of fiber. There is no comparison in my opinion. Yummmmm...

The only disadvantage of steel cut is the cooking time. Steel cut oats must be simmered for 20-30 minutes unless they are pre-soaked. Here's a little trick I learned on a cooking newsgroup that makes preparing steel cut oats as easy as instant oatmeal. Put the oats in a bowl with double the amount of water. Microwave to just short of boiling, cover, and put in the frig overnight. The next morning, add milk, fruit, heat, and eat.

I use 1 cup of oats to 2 cups of water. I use hot water from the instant hot tap and microwave for 30 seconds. When ready to eat, I add raisins and a little half and half. This will be 2-3 servings. I always have rich, filling oatmeal ready to go.

Steel cut oats are more filling, digest more slowly, provide more fiber, and are more nutritious. They also help stabilize blood sugar levels, which is important for diabetics and pre-diabetics. And they taste much better than mushy rolled oats.

I like the 70 oz cans with the plastic lid. I go through 2-3/year. The cans are great for storing parts and junk in the garage.

A lot of this information came from Wikipedia. Search for "oats", "rolled oats", and "steel cut oats".
on February 1, 2007
I had been hearing about steel-cut oatmeal and the benefits of eating it for quite sometime now. This is my first time ever trying this and I must say that I am extremely impressed. Now, I haven't tried any other brands, but I definitely would recommend this brand. I received my order rather quickly (within a week). The amount of oats I received for the price is amazing. The 70oz can is huge. The great thing about this product you don't have to use a lot it at one to produce a sizeable meal. I believe the suggested serving size is 1/4 of a cup uncooked. It may not look like a lot initially before cooking, but after it cooks it swells considerably. Oh yeah, get this... I am a type 2 diabetics and usually foods like foods such as rice, oatmeal and pasta cause my blood sugars to spike. Thereafter I feel sluggish until my insulin kicks in to regulate my sugar levels (maybe I am telling too much of my personal business..lol). Not with this. I don't know what it is (maybe it's in my mind), but my body seem to process this differently. Try it!
on May 25, 2007
I've read about the health benefits and I suppose it's true that steel cut is better than rolled. But there's no doubt about the flavor and texture. Try this with them Sunday morning - cook 'em quick during the week but dress 'em up on sunday. First - 1-1/2 cup water to 1/2 cup oats yields a little crunchier cereal and a little more flavor in half the time. While they are cooking, separate an egg. Beat the white stiff. when you turn the cooked oats off, beat the yolk into the oats with a teaspoon of brown sugar or honey. then FOLD (don't stir) the beaten white in. Pile it all in a soup bowl and top with some raspberry jam and, maybe, a little cream. Add whatever else you like - pecans, walnuts, raisins. You can't not like this stuff. And you can make it a different kind of delicious each time
on January 10, 2007
The product arrived on time and as advertised. The oats were nearly as good as McCanns and quite a bit less expensive. You just have to be careful not to overcook them as they get a little mushy if overdone.
on December 20, 2006
I got my order quickly despite the holiday rush. These oats are great. The texture is chewy and they keep you full for a long time because you have to chew them well to release the full oat flavor. Depending on your recipe and how much you eat, you should be satisfied for a long time after eating a bowl for breakfast. I wonder how the freshness will hold up after theyre opened though because unlike Mc Canns - this can uses a plastic lid with an oxygen absorption packet. We'll see. The price has come down so these oats are an even better buy. Buy Up.

How are these oats compared to Mc Canns?
on January 1, 2007
I bought these oats after my grocery store stopped selling steel cut oats. They are really great and steel cut is far superior to rolled oats. I actually crave oatmeal now. I sometimes cook them in broth with chopped onions and mushrooms. They come out like a creamy risotto.