Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on December 29, 2011
Got this mouse for Christmas and installed it a couple days ago.

First Impressions:
The mouse was very easy to install, simply just plug it in and use it, when you're ready to try setting up macros, etc download the software from the steelseries site.
The cord on the mouse is high quality braided fabric which is so important in maintaining the integrity of the mouse's performance. The body of the mouse has a very soft 'rubberized' feel, very comfortable for my hand. The lights on the mouse are behind the wheel and behind the Diablo III name near bottom, these lights pulse and are adjustable for varying brightness and frequency. Performance wise the mouse's movements seem very precise and the mouse is very light so not seeing any hand fatigue issues.

Downside. The mouse's body has a low profile and because of this the two buttons on the right side (im right handed) have become a serious problem. Its almost impossible to move the mouse around without those being pressed (was using in the Tribes Ascend beta and whenever I tried reacting quickly to anything my weapon would suddenly start changing. Had to disable both the right side buttons but once this was done worked very well.

So overall I think the mouse is very much worth the money just for the longevity and superior performance you will get but if you are a serious button nut and need all the buttons on the mouse I would try another mouse then.
on May 26, 2012
The mouse itself is great and I can't really complain about it much. The two buttons on the right side could afford to be in a better position. I often click one of them on accident which is bad because it is the hardest button to get to purposefully (I'm aware of how dumb that sounds) and thus houses the diablo 3 skill with the longest cooldown.
Aside from that, the mouse is responsive, ergonomic, easy to get used to, and aesthetically pleasing to a gamer. My girlfriend did make fun of me a bit, but I digress.

I really came here to review the software. It is nothing short of awful. It is packed full of features for customizing the mouse, all the way down to the LED's (which look awesome lighting up the Diablo 3 logo), all of the buttons can be customized, you can set different profiles for different programs etc... The options are fairly easy to set up.

However, in windows 7, the software must be run as an administrator in order for any of the non-standard buttons to do anything at all. Setting the program to always run as administrator does not fix this issue. Furthermore, whenever the computer is turned off or goes into sleep mode, the software stops working. What this means is that if you want to use the gaming buttons for any reason, you have to close the software, open the software as an administrator, select the profile for the application you are in, and go about your business. This must be done every time your computer is restarted or taken out of sleep mode. Even this would not be a big deal except the program must be closed and reopened every single time, and it does neither with haste.

Switching between the profiles is also a problem. The software can be set to switch automatically when an .exe is run but it often doesn't seem to work and obviously won't work if the programs are already running. Also, I have yet to find a way to set a steam game to auto-switch. The only other way to switch is to open the software and manually switch over. Quitting diablo 3 and switching to google chrome means that the forward and back buttons will not work until the profile is switched. Again this would not be problematic if the program did not take forever to open, even from a minimized state, but it does. Often maximizing even causes the program to freeze and then you must start the whole fiasco described above over again.

Perhaps with software updates this will be a four or five star mouse, but if you plan on buying this now consider the headache that using the software will be against the nerdgasm that is the mouse itself.
on May 21, 2012
This is a good mouse its comfortable to use (and the shape is good for lefties), tracks well and fast. I bought it to play Diablo 3 on my Mac book air, because it seems to be one of the few gaming mice with MacOS X drivers.

However I do not like it as much as my Logitech G400 that I use on my PC, that only cost $37. The G400 moves more smoothly over my Steel Series 4HD mouse pad, the Diablo mouse feet/pads seem more "scratchy". The G400 is more comfortable to hold and it just feels more solid, especially the buttons. The buttons on the Diablo mouse feel cheaper.

SteelSeries claim this mouse can handle more clicks than most, and the laser sensor is the best. The sensor accuracy seems no better than the G400, and only time will tell about which will last longer.

The other problem I had with this mouse is that "out of the box" the dpi switch did not work. To get it to work I had to update the firmware on the mouse which is not easy. First you have to download the program from the Steel Series Website. It's a PC-only application. I tried it on a Windows VMware on my Mac and it kept generating an error. Even using my PC it had trouble updating and failed a couple of times! If running a 64bit Windows make sure you run the firmware updater as an Administrator!

So honestly its a good mouse but for $65 I expect a better feel and more "polish" with the firmware and updater software, and a fully functioning mouse right out of the box! This is a premium price so we want a premium product SteelSeries!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 28, 2012
This mouse has most of the pluses coming using the Steelseries Xai mouse. I am especially interested because this Steelseries mouse retains the soft rubberized coating around the mouse but with a better/smoother scroll wheel compared to Xai, which is what I was looking for. It's just less "clunky."

The pluses that are inherited from Xai:
- very smooth tracking and precise movement
- 4 side buttons that are customizable, including macros (using driver software)
- Can be comfortably used for both claw/palm grip
- Has rubber coating that feels very nice and comfortable to the touch
- Good quality teflon feet for gliding

THE major flaw that made me return this mouse has to be the sound of the mouse click. It is WAY too loud, especially comparing with Xai. So if you are someone who needs to use it in a quiet room, or is sensitive to noise... stay away. It is just too bad...

Also this mouse does NOT have on-board memory so the Steelseries Engine software has to be running and configured on each computer you want to use the mouse with.

Note: if your mouse is stuck on "red" with an LCD, you can run the "SSEfix.exe" executable inside the Steelseries Engine directory to try to fix the firmware on the mouse.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hey KL,

The Diablo 3 mouse was designed with Omron switches, which tend to be a bit on the louder side. Not much louder than any of the other mice we sell however. The mouse was designed specifically for Diablo 3, which is a very click heavy game, as I'm sure you're aware. The switches are extremely heavy duty, which causes the loud click sound. We are very sorry you weren't happy with the device and wish we could have had a chance to exchange it for something of your choice. We do hope that you give our products another chance in the future and look forward to assisting you! Happy gaming!

Regards,
Mike S
SteelSeries
on January 21, 2014
I would even like to return it when I just received this mouse. The shape of the mouse is just like a regular mouse, not like a game mouse(but it seems that all the SteelSeries mouses are of such shape). And the two main buttons seem to be out of work at any time.
After several days use, I became used to it. The feeling of the material is good, but still, I hope the shape could be more like a game mouse.
on April 10, 2013
I have had a Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard sicne they came out which i love very much.I seen the Diablo 3 mouse and thought it would be perfect for me considering i mostly play D3 and WoW.
I had a problem with the software not working that comes with the mouse because it conflicts with the Zengine that runs the merc keyboard it causes a usb device spam in the device manager likes it loading a new usb over and over caused by a conflict with Steelseries engine & the Zengine which Steelseries is well aware of.

this is from a ticket responce from them
Hey Chad,

The problem is the Zengine software and the SteelSeries Engine. The two conflict with each other. The reason this is, is because we purchased the Zengine software from Ideazon after we had already created the SteelSeries Engine. This is a serious issue and we are rectifying it by rolling the Zengine devices into SSE. For the time being, you will only be able to use 1 or the other. We can of course assist you with a return on the Merc keyboard for, for example, a 6gv2, which does not use Zengine and will allow you to fully operate your other devices with SSE.

Regards,
Randall B
SteelSeries

But my reason for doing this review is because they have the worst support of any company i have ever seen it took since last year till now for me to finally get to even having a RMA offered and now that i sent the mouse to them for an exchange for the Sensei mouse which is programmable so it will work without the Steelseries engine because its a programmable mouse.
It has been 2 weeks and they don`t even respond to say whats going on and what gets me is they know what the problem is as it was stated above by them about what the issue is so apon them rec. the mouse i sent them they should have just shipped out a new one and nothing to investigate because they know what the issue is right?
Well i guess that isn`t the case cause I am still waiting not only for the mouse but a responce on status of it ..... Also they don`t have a phone contact number and i think it is obvious as to why they don`t cause it would be flooded with some unhappy customers and they choose to only respond to those unhappy customers at there own convenience.....
All i can say is yes some of the products are ok as long as u dont buy 2 of them that conflict with eachother... Cause the support they offer is the worst i have ever seen in my whole life.
on November 3, 2012

The pluses that are inherited from Xai:
- very smooth tracking and precise movement
- Can be comfortably used for both claw/palm grip
- Has rubber coating that feels very nice and comfortable to the touch
- Good quality teflon feet for gliding

on April 6, 2014
GOOD: I've owned two of these over the last two years. The design of the mouse fits my hands, and the button placement works well. Works well in Diablo 3 and WoW.

BAD: The first one went bad after a year, the left side buttons quickly becoming unresponsive. At that point it was out of warranty, but I decided to buy the same mouse again anyway.

The second mouse worked fine for about 4 months, and then the mouse wheel started malfunctioning. It got to the point where scrolling down on the wheel would cause my pages to scroll upwards instead. Steel Series agreed to replace the mouse, but only after I packed it up and shipped it to them.

Problem - I had a stroke last year. All of my money is tied up in medical bills, and I cannot drive to the store to mail it off (Medically, I'm not allowed to drive). My family is already at whits end taking me from place to place, and I'm not going to put any more strain on them by asking them to drive out of their way to take me to the post office. Steel Series is aware of this, but don't seem to care.

I had no other choice - I bought a new mouse from Corsair off Amazon.com. Hopefully their quality of product and support is better.
on April 29, 2014
OK mouse. Good touch and move. But the click is too loud, even noisy.Price is cheap, so I will keep use
on April 16, 2014
The mouse looks pretty cool. That is always a plus. However, it's a little big, and the side buttons are placed a little low on the sides, so you can end up pushing those buttons on accident a lot. I actually end up disabling those buttons a lot of the time. I'm right handed and the one that is the biggest problem is the one on the right hand side of the mouse towards the front of it. My ring finger is resting towards the side of it and it gets pushed sometimes, Kind of annoying in certain games if it is keybound to something (which is is by default in most games)

Outside of that, it's fairly solid as a mouse no real complaints.