Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SteelSeries Diablo III Gaming Mouse
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 13, 2012
I write this review more to give a warning than to share product details.

Amazon had to send me two of this mouse. The first one arrived last week. I plugged it into my PC and it worked fine for a day or two. Then I downloaded the software from Steelseries' website so that I could access the advanced functions. (No, there is no disc included with the software and no instructions to go to the website to download the software. They leave it for us to know to do that to access the advanced functions.)

Anyway, I downloaded the software and it killed the mouse! The lights all went black except for the little red circle above the scroll wheel. I even tried plugging the mouse into a second computer and the problem persisted - so I knew it wasn't just a question of how computer #1 was setup, but inside the mouse.

I called up Amazon and got a great rep who was actually taking part in the Diablo beta, so he knew how important it was to get the replacement before Diablo III itself comes out next week. Without any hassle, he overnighted me the new mouse. Hooray for Amazon! I plugged the new mouse in and it immediately worked. Since I had the Steel Series software already installed, everything was hunky dory. The software recognized the mouse and all is now right with the world.

My advice - Install the software from the manufacturer's website BEFORE plugging in the mouse.

Otherwise, this seems to be a very nice mouse. I wish it were a little taller, so it would sit more comfortably in my big sasquatch-like hands, but hopefully I will adapt. The cord is thick like a shoe-lace. The red glow is beautiful and soothing. The buttons all seem easy enough to access. We're still a few days from the big game release, so I will most likely update this review once the mouse has been put to it's real test.
on April 2, 2015
Purchased just over a year ago. Had a razor Death Adder which I paid 4 times the amount and the left click button died in 6 months. I like playing the MMORPG games. So it is constant clicking, especially your left mouse button if you are right handed and many left handers also. The "engine" software which comes with the mouse gives you the ability to record macros for each button, or set which key is used when pressed. If you shut down the steelseries engine that runs in the background, the mouse will just run under whatever default your operating system is set at. The software also gives the ability to have the mouse lights constantly on, off, light when a button is clicked, and intensity etc..There is also a button behind the scroll wheel and that is pressed for what you want your dpi settings at (LED ON OR LED OFF). Range is 100 dpi to 5700 dpi.

As for the buttons. The buttons are all easily actuated like a ms or logitech mouse. The 4 that surround it (2 on each side) are also easy click, so it doesn't take much to accidentally click one. Hasn't been a problem for me after getting used to it.

Main reason I purchased this mouse was you get a descent amount of buttons all around, and SteelSeries says you will get a good number of clicks from the buttons before they fail and this is what I wanted. The SteelSeries software does have a lifetime click counter and here is what I have.

Button 1: LEFT BUTTON: 2,101,106 (WOAH!!) Carpel tunnel here we come. :P
Button 2: RIGHT BUTTON: 974,041
B3: 143,134
B4: 313,157
B5: 4,748
B6: 1,058
B7: 189,721
on May 21, 2012
This is a good mouse its comfortable to use (and the shape is good for lefties), tracks well and fast. I bought it to play Diablo 3 on my Mac book air, because it seems to be one of the few gaming mice with MacOS X drivers.

However I do not like it as much as my Logitech G400 that I use on my PC, that only cost $37. The G400 moves more smoothly over my Steel Series 4HD mouse pad, the Diablo mouse feet/pads seem more "scratchy". The G400 is more comfortable to hold and it just feels more solid, especially the buttons. The buttons on the Diablo mouse feel cheaper.

SteelSeries claim this mouse can handle more clicks than most, and the laser sensor is the best. The sensor accuracy seems no better than the G400, and only time will tell about which will last longer.

The other problem I had with this mouse is that "out of the box" the dpi switch did not work. To get it to work I had to update the firmware on the mouse which is not easy. First you have to download the program from the Steel Series Website. It's a PC-only application. I tried it on a Windows VMware on my Mac and it kept generating an error. Even using my PC it had trouble updating and failed a couple of times! If running a 64bit Windows make sure you run the firmware updater as an Administrator!

So honestly its a good mouse but for $65 I expect a better feel and more "polish" with the firmware and updater software, and a fully functioning mouse right out of the box! This is a premium price so we want a premium product SteelSeries!
on January 26, 2015
SteelSeries has terrible support!
After one of my mice began to display erratic behavior with the scroll wheel, I reached out to the RMA department. The first response was a request for the purchase invoice, the serial number, and my address. All of which I supplied. My assumption at that point was the company was on top of this and sending out a replacement.
Instead I received 3 follow-up e-mails the next day.
The first e-mail requested a single picture of the device, a printed copy of the invoice (the same invoice I previously sent), and the serial number (the one I sent previously per their request) written on a second piece of paper. They were kind enough to clarify the quality of the picture, "Please be advised that the picture must contain all 3 items to be considered for approval and must be clear. Fuzzy or grainy pictures will be declined."
The second e-mail was a request for me to mail you the device so you could test it and then possibly send out a replacement at a latter date.
The 3rd e-mail once again requested my shipping address, which would give me the impression that you were shipping me a product replacement in advance, something I expected from a premium brand... I reaffirmed my address was still correct and hadn't changed in 48 hours.
on April 2, 2014
Super Comfortable. Bought as replacement for a broken razer left handed deathadder. This is definitely more comfortable than razer which have a lower profile.

I bought this over sensei only to save 30 bucks on the cost, the only thing I find annoying is that the steelseries customization engine runs a diablo iii theme, which is too dark and not as functional as regular configuration interface.
on April 23, 2014
I was looking for a wired optical gaming mouse for my Diablo 3 and future gaming sessions. After looking at $60~$120 mice for massive CPI (DPI) or 30+ buttons I was kind of floored at the selection. Trying not to break the bank I looked into alternatives mostly from China or 3rd party no-names promising high end performance for pennies. This end up resulting in weeks worth of shipping or even questionable businesses in general.

Then while looking for a Diablo mouse pad I stumble upon this mouse by Steel Series. While being released a while ago this one comes with 7-buttons (including right and left click) and with the Steel Series Engine you can customize and map them for any feature or macro on both Windows and Mac OS X based computers. The last bit was a huge selling point cause so many hardware makers ignore or drop Mac support and these guys embrace it which is great for a Mac gamer! This mouse also seems to be a model of the Steel Series Sensei which can retail for as much as $90 and both are the same in spec so at a 1/3 of the price it's a bargain.

The mouse has update-able firmware (awesome) and the fit and feel is good especially as it is a bit larger for a more comfortable rest position. With the mouse on the highest (default) CPI count of 3200 causes the cursor response to require small movements which is great for point&click or FPS games with high twitch players. The speed is completely adjustable with two presets the Low and High which can be adjusted on the fly with the CPI (DPI) button after you make your adjustments in the engine.

For the price this is a great mouse with the features, functions, and refinement that suit a large majority of gamers. Can you find better? Sure, but you'll have to pay a lot more for it. So save money and still feel like you got a steal with this guy, you won't regret it.
on July 21, 2014
Growing up Diablo II was one of my favorite games. Diablo III, though it has struggled since release, is a good game too. I have seen this mouse for sale in stores and online since the game was released but it was way overpriced and I could never justify making the purchase. Even when Walmart put them on their clearance rack the price was still way too high. After 2 years I finally found it for a reasonable price here on Amazon, so I went ahead and bought it.

Now for the review.

Pros:
This is a sleek looking mouse and the braided cable is a very nice touch. The button clicks feel solid and crisp. The scroll wheel feels good and is easy to use. The glowing lights are awesome. The software that come with it to customize mouse buttons and control the LEDs in it is nice and works well. It has good precision and the sensitivity is nice.

Cons:
The biggest problem I have found with this mouse is the sides of the mouse. My old mouse was a Logitech weighted gaming mouse that had a groove for my thumb to sit in while using it. This was nice because my fingers weren't resting on side buttons and there wasn't really a way to accidentally hit those side buttons. That's where my biggest issue comes in at. This mouse has a low profile design, making it hard for people with big hands to hold the mouse comfortably without hitting the buttons on the side. I had to disable the buttons on the right side completely because I am constantly hitting them. The two buttons on the left side, where my thumb sits, aren't quite as bad. I still accidentally hit them every once in a while but not as much as I did the right side buttons.

Overall this is a pretty decent mouse aside from the issues listed above. The LED glow is fun and it's a really sleek looking mouse. I give it four stars because of the design issue with the side buttons, not a deal breaker but worth noting.
on March 26, 2012
After 6 years of using a G7, the batteries finally gave out (and cracked completely). Being an avid blizzard fan and a person who likes a more simplistic mouse (in style, fewer buttons) this mouse was right up my alley.

Being on the expensive side, I was weary but after 2 months of use I could not be happier...here is a short list of the pros:

+ Smooth rubber feel
+ Awesome aesthetics
+ Solid design, simple but functional

and a few quirks

- Cord length seems just a tad short
- Price still just a little bit more than it should be for its functionality

Overall for someone not eager to macro everything under the sun, but yearning for something simple, with outstanding 'look and feel' - look no further.
on April 18, 2014
I have had this mouse for 21 days. I liked it a lot until the two right side buttons stopped doing what I've programmed them to. I have them set to "3" and "4" for Diablo 3, instead they bring up the chat box. I've tried reprogramming them but that didn't help.
on June 27, 2014
Steelseries produces some of the better products that are focused on the gaming market, and this mouse exceeds the mark at its current price point on Amazon. I also own the matching headset and have been using it for the better part of almost two years now without issue. This mouse is definitely designed with a larger hand in mind, which I appreciate. The ambidextrous nature of the side buttons that has been noted in prior reviews may be an issue for smaller hands, but I have not found myself inadvertently pressing the buttons on the opposite side under any intensive/twitch use cases specifically related to gaming.

The actual click mechanics do not require excessive force in an effort to generate input, and the quiet nature of the clicks is a nice change over my dependable Logitech G9X gaming mouse that is paired with a different computer. The one disclaimer/caveat relates to the Steelseries Engine software for custom mapping. The Diablo III headset has been updated to the newest version (Steelseries Engine III), while the mouse is still locked to the prior version (Steelseries Engine 2). I'm not the biggest fan of running multiple iterations of a given utility simultaneously, and have elected to let Windows 8.1 manage the mouse functions. Absolutely no fatigue has been experienced in long sessions of testing a myriad of current, popular titles. The mouse is so good, I'm tempted to grab another to replace the G9X!