Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Style: 9HDChange

on November 4, 2010
I currently use the Razer Goliathus and I decided to purchase the Steel Series 9HD because the Razer had too much friction. Its more of a cloth material rather than a smooth surface. When I started using the SS 9HD, the surface is way too smooth. It feels like I'm gliding over nothing, no friction at all. So its harder to control for good aiming, but moves and turns much faster. I play Counter-Strike Source, so I prefer aim over movement. But the SS 9HD is a good mouse pad overall, just not for me though. It would require you to lower your sensitivity if you choose to use the 9HD. Unless you're already using something like metal pad or something.
on January 19, 2012
I'm an avid gamer and have been gaming for a while. I play both FPS and RTS (BF3, SC2 and LOL just to name a few) I purchased the Steelseries Sensei mouse and on the website, it stated that the HD series mousepads were recommended and " specifically designed for Laser mouse." So I got the 9HD together with the Sensei mouse.

I've been using the Rocketfish gaming mousepad with the Logitech G5 for as long as I can remember and they have served me well.

But the 9HD is a lot better than the Rocketfish imho. The Rocketfish has 2 sides, 1 smooth for speed and one with more texture for control. Before, I would alternate between both sides, but more recently, I've stuck to using the smooth "textureless" side. The strange yet awesome part about the 9HD is that it has the "textures" yet it's super smooth. And yes, I've tested it with the G5 just to make sure it isn't because I'm using a new mouse. Of course, it might be due to the fact that my Rocketfish mouse pad might be getting a bit old, but I personally can't find anything that might cause performance issues on the Rocketfish other than the rubber grips on the corners.
So with the 9HD, I can move across the mousepad easier and with more comfort without any friction.

For $30+, I think it was well worth the investment. I'm loving the Steelseries 9HD.

Pros:
- Textured for control yet allows for super smooth mouse glide.

Cons:
- *A bit smaller than what I was hoping for.
*Not enough to demote a star, but it is ever so slightly smaller than the Rocketfish mousepad, which was a bit surprising.
on September 6, 2010
Update:

5 stars isn't enough. This mousepad has outlasted 3 mice, an entire computer, and 2 mechanical keyboards. It has traveled at least 5000 miles in my backpack, being crushed, twisted, and generally abused. It survived attacks by materials ranging from coffee and beer to nail polish remover and lit cigarettes. It is still in excellent condition and I use it daily.

Original review:

This "gaming surface" (mouse pad) works extremely well with my Razer Lachesis 1st generation and MadCatz/Cyborg R.A.T. 7 mice. The pad is not as rigid as I was expecting; two of the corners overhang my desk by an inch or two, and the pad flexes in those areas. It seems like eventually it will deform permanently, but I'm not sure.

The surface is smooth yet grippy, very even, seems durable, and cleans easily. The inlaid steelseries logos give it a somewhat classy Louis Vuitton look.

I would give it 5 stars if it came with Teflon skates (apparently they used to include these, now you get a microfiber chamois), were more rigid, and included a SteelSeries case sticker (I love case stickers). The actual surface itself seems perfect, and based on this purchase I am now considering acquiring a SteelSeries Xai mouse.
on February 4, 2012
I haven't used a mouse pad regularly since I switched from a rollerball mouse to an optic, and now a laser mouse. I found them cumbersome and without any added value. On the behest of a gamer friend, and prompted by my recent purchase of a Logitech G700, I decided to pick up a new gaming mouse pad. After a little research I settled on the Steelseries 9HD Large Professional Gaming Mouse Pad.

I have to say that I love this pad! It is HUGE, thin, unobtrusive, and provides just the right amount of glide for my G700. A bonus is that it is waterproof, which is important to me because I almost always have a cold drink at my desk which means sweating from the glass and/or possible spills.

I found 9HD to be well worth the money as a gamer and as someone who appreciates a good quality/price ratio in a product. I can see this mouse pad sustaining a lot of use years down the line. However, if you're just a casual computer user you probably don't need a mouse pad of this quality or at this price point. Steelseries makes a range of mouse pads, and one of the lower end pads would probably suit you much better, or just using your desk surface as I used to do. On the other hand if you're a gamer then I would highly recommend this pad.
on May 3, 2012
Coming from the rocketfish pad, which is pretty nice, but seeing as how I have the sensei, I wanted to see if there really was a diff with matcheing pad.
The pad definatly is smoother. Mouse glides maybe 20% faster. I was surprised. the bottom of the pad has a textured rubber that grips my desk like white on rice. Theres no slipping like I had with the rocketfish.

A previous reviewer said it is samller than the rocketfish. Maybe i had a smaller RF pad, but this is a little bigger.

it is so much faster, that I had to get used to it, my scores suffered a little at first, but now Im dominating!

Love this pad.
on January 31, 2013
This mouse pad is great. I have used a Ratpadz mouse pad for close to five years and loved it. This one is significantly better. It has better grip, is much thinner, and a littler larger. The only downside is the price. It is a bit ridiculous cost for what you ar getting.

I personally would not buy it again because of the price, however, it is a very quality mouse pad.
review image
on March 17, 2011
This is easily one of the best mouse pads on the market today. Tracks perfectly with optical or laser sensors. Great for low or high sensitivity users. Has a non-slip rubber base to prevent it from slipping on your desk. I highly recommend this mouse pad to anyone who prefers hard pads over cloth pads.
on February 12, 2012
Prior to this mouse pad I used the Razor Sphex which I was very happy with however after a year the sticky on the bottom of the pad was no longer sticky also the pad destroyed the surface of the desk that it was on. I have also used cloth gaming surfaces like Razor Kabuto which are fine for basic computing but do not have enough response imo for serious precision gaming.

The Bad
Took awhile to get the gaming surface.
After 15 months of use the texture on the surface is gone which cause's quite a lot of tracking loss basically it is a great pad for a year and then be ready to buy another one. So if 30.00 every 15 months is a big deal to you then you might need to look elsewhere.

The Good
Incredible response to my movements better than any other surface I've used.
Holds to the desk as if glued without a sticky underside can be moved as often as you like without damaging your desk.
Very durable top side extremely solid plastic.
The price was just right.

In conclusion: I wish I had found this gaming pad years ago it is a very good solution for people that are serious about their game play and demand the very best.
on February 11, 2012
Awesome! The best mouse pads I've ever bought. Perfect size,feel,a must for any gamer or just for everyday use. Also each mouse pad comes with a cleaning cloth for easy maintenance and they are shipped flat not rolled up with no odor for those who maybe sensitive to certain allergies.An investment I'm glad I made worth the time and effort on researching this product.
on September 27, 2010
This is my first real gaming mat. It works great with my Razer Naga mouse. You really do notice better control, I don't lose my pointer so much during heavy battles. The control and feel is great, and it doesn't budge when moving your mouse. It looks good, and there is a lot of real estate on this pad, I don't use probably 60% of the mat when playing WoW, but it is good to know it is there if I need it. The only gripe of course is the price, but it should be a good investment if it holds up over time.