4.0 out of 5 stars Portable, Compact and Functional
Published on May 6, 2011 by Cliff Hartman

3.0 out of 5 stars Time limit
Published on May 14, 2011 by Jacqualine Ruckman

3.0 out of 5 stars Time limit, May 14, 2011
This review is from: Steele Products SP-GG100 1,000 Watt 2-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I got this generator for Mother's day to take camping. Started great and powered all I needed for about 2 hours. It just slowly died and would not start again. I followed all the guidelines in the very short users manual. After it sat for about 2 hours started right up and ran another 2 hours. Died again, same story. I like the size and portability. Is anyone else having the same problem?

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this generator if you value quality products, March 22, 2012
K. M. Cowan "mrmovie" (Sarasota,FL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this generator 3 days ago. I'm living off grid, and rely on a combination of generators and solar panels for my power. I have a Briggs and Straton 3500 watt for big jobs, a Generac 1800 watt for medium-sized jobs (like making coffee) and have been using a Yamaha 1000 watt (which I have loved dearly) as my day-to-day generator. After more than a year of constant use, the Yamaha needs to be rebuilt, so I decided to buy a cheaper generator to use as an interim provider. This was a mistake, and I chalk it up to a lesson learned.

This product is poorly made, more noisy than it claims, doesn't run as long as it claims (when it runs), and overall does not instill confidence in the least. When it runs, it runs begrudingly, as though it could stop at any time for any number of reasons. And it does just that. Under a meager 25% load, it sounds wildly unhappy. The lights and fan flicker, and the generator screams and moans. And this is at 250 watts! I couldn't even imagine brining the load up above 50 percent.

Further, the materials used in it's construction are the cheapest possible. From the metal for the tank, to the switches on the control panel. As I said: it simply does not give me confidence.

If you're looking for a good camping generator, or something more heavy duty, avoid this one, because it's neither well-made nor durable. I expect it will last a few months, at best, before it burns out.

UPDATE: A few months was far too optimistic. Try 10 days. It stalled early this morning, and despite a clean air filter and gas, etc, it's now offline.

3.0 out of 5 stars Portable Generator - Just OK, May 9, 2011
Well it's been a year and I've had to replace the pull cord assembly (that was under warranty) and the AC plug-in module (I paid for that). The generator runs for 90 minutes and then quits. It won't produce electricity after it stops but will start up after about 30 minutes of cool down. I think I'll order a 4 stroke with higher output. This one is fine for limited use only.

Just got this so more to check out, but here's the good news. Out of the box, fueled, choke set and two pulls - it started right up. After it warmed up one pull worked over and over for starting. Plugged in a couple of appliances and everything worked fine. The generator weighs about 41 pounds and my wife could easily move it around. It is a little loud (about like an idling lawn mower) but I knew that before I bought it. It will be used for camping and as I said, so far so good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Buy This Generator, May 14, 2012
I do not recommend that anyone buy this generator for the following reasons:

1) The generator we bought was defective, and within 10 minutes of plugging it in to run our travel trailer, our converter was on fire. We bought a new converter, installed it, and within minutes of hooking up the generator the second time, our new converter was smoking.

2) I contacted the manufacturer about getting a refund in March. It is now mid-May and I'm still waiting on my refund.

3) I also told the manufacturer that I expected a reimbursement for the converter that I had to replace, and I'm still waiting on that as well.

The fact that the generator was defective might have been our bad luck. However, the incredibly poor customer service from the manufacturer is what really gets me. Emails that I've sent and phone messages that I've left have been categorically ignored. If the person you need to speak to isn't in when you call, you better hope you get lucky the second time you call because they sure aren't going to call you back.

I contacted the company again this morning, and was told that a manager would call me back within the hour. She did not. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to dispute the charges with my credit card company, and call the BBB.

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable, Compact and Functional, May 6, 2011
Purchased this generator for light use while using tent camper in unimproved camping areas. Unit functions perfectly as long as you don't overload it with higher wattage requirements than designed for. Definitely, know what your intended use will be before buying. A little louder than expected but, starts easily and, after warmup, runs very smooth. Great price for product and time will tell how it holds up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steel 1000watt 2 cycle generator, April 10, 2011
It run a bout 12 hours on 1 gal of gas, plug in a 1500 watt heater worked great.good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than another brand thusfar..., January 7, 2012
So far so good for 2 power outages. Needs to be grounded before use to prevent static electricity (copper rod and wire with clamp). Somewhat loud but tolerable with closed windows. Ran 2 aquariums (heat and lighting) for 6 hours without stalling. 3 re-starts each time to get it going initially. Best to use with Sta-bil fluid mixed with oil/gas to prevent having to drain gas between uses while stored outdoors...also cover to protect from inclement weather when not in use (large 'Sham-Wow' to absorb moisture with a medium sized rubbermaid container upside down does the trick. Must be protected also while in use during inclement weather...vinyl picnic table placed over generator worked well. Recommend starting and allowing to run for 20mins. every 2 weeks when not in use.
VERY IMPORTANT: Must set-up immediately to check functioning upon receiving the unit. Got stuck with a leaking ETQ generator right out-of-box which was just out of the 1yr. warranty...still hoping to resolve with a possible exchange, though seems unlikely...review details on ETQ TG1200 product page.
Would recommend Steel or Champion at this point.

1.0 out of 5 stars Generator, September 6, 2011
Got the first one and it leaked gas all over and wouldn't run a power drill
Amazon sent me a second one and after running that on and off a bit to power my refrigerator after the hurricane - that crapped out as well
getting a refund and getting a different one

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped us through Irene!, August 31, 2011
I ordered this little gennie the Thursday before Irene hit CT and with my Prime membership it arrived the next day! It limped our sump pump through the storm and one the rain stopped had the basement cleared within a few hours. After that it powered our fridge in 4-5 hour shifts for the next 2.5 days.

It was totally worth the $150 I paid.

UPDATE AFTER SANDY
==================

This little generator has now helped us through three major storms and power outages in Connecticut!

Hurricane Irene 2011
October Snowstorm 2011
Hurricane Sandy 2012

We lost power for multiple days with each storm and this little guys is still going strong! Running the fridge - or coffee maker - or powering up portable electronics - it still goes strong!!!

You can't run anything huge or more than one appliance - but for the cost it gives you some comforts when the power is down...

Thanks!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pleas!!!! avoid this at ___all costs!, June 5, 2014
I bought this particular generater just to use for a day or so in my shop while we were having our electrical pannel upgraded just so we could still be productive and not lose any time during this process. I figured that for the money it would do just for a day or so just to run our air compressor, which is a 2 HP hotdog style unit with 2 tanks, a couple lights, and the 30 inch exhaust fan. Now, the first time I started it, it seemed to be ok, although it did moan when I turned on the lights, and even a little more when i started the fan. The fan made the generator kind of sing a crying song and it kept playing with the fan speed,slightly revvingthe fan motor up and down, but it wasn't causing a major disruption of our piano shop. Now! here's where the hell begins, and it wasn't pretty one bit. When I started the compressor, the generator protested angrily, first, boging down, then,revving up like it was going to take off like a bat out of hell. I immediately stopped the compressor to see if it could calm itself down, which it did, so I started the compressor back up, it again boged down, but seemed to let the tanks get almost filled when it started revving again, but the compressor was able to fill, and shut off. AH! everything was going to be fine right? Wrong! The compressor cycled on, and this sent the generator into a fit of angry rage, with the engine governor loosing complete control, allowing the engine to yell and shout, While the generator was vibrating so violently, that it was almost like it was trying to escape from the compressor, at this point both, the fan, and compressor was on a surge protector, which was fortunately a good thing, because both surge protectors fried! The fan and compressor were spared, but the generator kept angrily screaming and than began backfiring, ant throwing balls of fire out of the exhaust. I went to shut it off, only to slow down briefly, spark, and spit, and began to race it's engine again. The control pannel was cooking, and I feared a major explosion. Fire was all around the gas tank now, so my helper and I proceeded to both get fire extinguishers, and good thing we did, when we came outside, this piece of _shi******* generator was completely involved in flames,and the only way it stopped was, that the fire melted the spark plug wire so it had no choice, it was done! The Thick extension cord connected to the generator was liquid rubber, and where it was plugged in? well, forget it, it was just goo,and as it cooled down, it fused to my sidewal, which I knew this would bea job getting off. When I called the manufacturer, they said that they couldn't do anything for me at all, and proceeded to say that I "overworked the generator beyond it's capacity, Which in all honesty, I knew that this was total bullcrap, since i'm extremely careful about electrical issues, and I did know that the amount of electricity that I was asking the generator to produce was way below the specifications of this unit, and I was nowhere near maxing it out. Since it was a melted mangled mess, unfortunately I'm going to have to eat this one, But I hope I can save people from buying this horrible machine, maybe if you want to run your coffee maker, or maybe, a tv, this might work, however, I'd like to ask you, to _please!!!!! stay away from this, after what I saw and how this generator got so angry and violent, I'd hate to see anyone lose property, or even your life over this, saving a few dollars in my case has taught me one thing, and that is, to spend a little more, and pay attention to reviews, I saw negative ones on this damn garbage bucket, and bought it anyway, Don't be a fool like I was, I'm glad i'm alive to write this review for you. That was one scary moment, and I hope I never have to see something like this again, I'm stillsometimes having flashbacks about seeing those balls of fire and that burning generator.

Well, I absolutely hate giving negative reviews, but take this one seriously ok? See you next time with I hope a lot better review for you. Have an awesome summer, and thank you so much for reading.