Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2011 2:28:27 PM PST
D. Politis says:
I really want to read the rest of Kaia's story. Considering Steelflower was released in 2008, I had hoped there would be a sequel by now.

The author, Lilith Saintcrow, posted January 7, 2011 on her website, "Many of you asked about Steelflower. I appreciate the interest, and there are two more Kaia books in my head. (One deals with Redfist's homeland; the other deals with G'maihallan under siege.) The problem is, I am contracted pretty tightly for other things. Kaia is on the back burner for the time being."

So right now, it doesn't look like a sequel is being released any time soon. I'm very impatient and hope eventually we will see the rest of Kaia's story. :o)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 10:51:08 PM PST
D. Politis says:
Update on Steelflower sequel: December 5, 2011 the author said on her website blog:

I'm getting a lot of mail about Steelflower lately. Guys, even if I had time to write the second in the series, there are other considerations. I know you want to read about Kaia and her troupe heading off to Rainak Redfist's homeland to take back his birthright, but it might not happen for a while, and being angry with me won't help or solve anything. I have the last two books of the series in my head-the third book deals with Kaia and Darik's return to G'maihallan. But like I said, it may be a while. I am looking at a number of different options. That's all I can say.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 1:58:45 PM PDT
Well, I can understand the tone. Just seeing the list of series she has and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think many of them are finished. Can you imagine fans from ALL of her series clamoring to know what happens next "right now"?
I personally would start getting irritated after the 10th one.

Take it as a compliment, Ms Saintcrow, your craft is so good, you've got us hooked.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:19:32 PM PDT
D. Politis says:
Really bad news on the Steelflower sequel. Today on her blog Lilith Saintcrow wrote, "What about the next Steelflower? One of my projects for the year was to assess whether I could afford to spend the time to write the next in Kaia's adventures. Sadly, I cannot.

If you want to know the absolute truth, my dears, e-piracy has killed Steelflower. I literally cannot afford to invest the time in another Steelflower book and have it be torrented the day it comes out. I am incredibly sorry, but I have kids to feed, and this is an effect of e-piracy you don't often hear about. I have done the math every way I can think of, and it just ends up with a loss of working time for me that I can ill afford. I am answering this question directly here partly so you guys can have a definitive answer to this question

(I love Kaia too and wish I could write more of her and her crew!) and partly because I am saddened that I even have to say this, because e-piracy is so rampant and the costs of it so huge to content creators-and so many people who engage in e-piracy feel so incredibly entitled about it, and so many other people, even people whose opinions I otherwise respect, think the costs are invisible or not worth mentioning."

Ummm...what? I don't understand. She has all these other successful series so wouldn't those books be pirated just as much as Steelflower? Does anyone understand this answer?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:03:00 PM PST
D_Reader says:
I will translate for you.
"Sorry everyone but I wont be writing a sequel and its not an issue of piracy because if it were then I would not write any new books at all but rather Steelflower just was not one of my better sellers at all so rather than admit that I chose to blame it all on piracy."

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 12:52:05 AM PST
D. Wood says:
Wow, that did not endear me to this author. Steelflower was the first book of hers that I have read (just finished) and that seems like a load of nonsense to someone who has bought the book by legitimate means and would be a consumer for 2 more. It feels insulting- there are authors who would kill to have a clientele who enjoy their work and wish to read more, and it seems like she's thumbing her nose at us. I'm sorry, you're not cost effective enough for me.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 8:22:17 PM PST
Reader says:
Just read the same post about e-piracy and such on the Steelflower series and the fact that she is not going to write the sequels. Steelflower was the first and only book I have read from this author and it will also be my last. Since she decided she will not write anymore on this series what makes me think she won't do the same on another one if I start reading it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 9:16:11 PM PST
D. Politis says:
It makes me sad. I love Kaia and Derik and the other characters. I'm hoping that one day she will change her mind. Maybe if we keep writing her emails asking for more Steelflower? The more fans of the book there are presumably the more money a sequel would make?

I just don't understand why an author, who admits she receives many emails about a Steelflower sequel from fans, won't write more books in this world. Maybe she just needs a break.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:35:10 PM PST
I am as disappointed as the rest of you about the Steelflower Chronicles not being completed. However, I do not think you should blame the author for other peoples unprincipled actions. She has several excellent series that are already completed. I have them all and I would certainly recommend them to you. Check her website for the completed series and continue to write encouraging her to rethink her position on SteelFlower. She might be able to work with another publisher if her original contract did not include any sequels. If it did, she would only be supplying free ebooks and this an author should not be forced to do. In other words, try to see all sides of the issue before you condemn the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 10:16:13 PM PDT
D_Reader says:
Question is though Sherry is it truly the unprincipled actions that caused it or rather that the book just did generate enough sales for her to push forward with a sequel? Considering she is still writing novels I personally lean towards the just not generating enough sales but rather than admit that it was a failure she would rather blame piracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2013 4:09:43 AM PDT
d_reader, you might want, as sherry suggested, to go to the author's website. she's been writing for a LONG time, has SEVERAL series completed; if it's a question of poor sales? lol, i'm pretty sure she'd say so; i'm equally certain that's not the case. you see, ms. saintcrow is a well-known and well-loved author, and one of those who is instantly purchased as soon as she publishes, just based on her name.

what you may not know is two things: 1) contracts can kill authors, and not having read the contract under which she released "Steelflower" we don't know if that is the case or not, but it's been the case for other authors. 2) American authors have LESS rights over their books' sales, and resales, than authors from any other country in this world -- and those rights they're losing include the right to continue earning money from first and subsequent sales.

i HATE that lilith can't, at this time, publish more in this series. but i know enough, just enough, of this industry to understand why she's had to take this stance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013 7:49:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2013 7:52:18 PM PDT
Icehawk says:
Agreed that contracts can kill authors, but really since the author agreed to the contract, and signed the contract, probably after legal advice was obtained, then in the end it is the author who is responsible for her own actions. As to copyright rules/regulations, they have remained the same in America since largely its founding and are pretty fair. In America, authors and others who create something for sale, are guaranteed the right to revenues from the first sale of an item. After the item has been sold once; it belongs to the person who bought it who can then throw it away, keep it, share it with a friend, or even resale it. Historically the cost of copying a book was always higher for individuals usually than the cost of buying a new book. So authors enjoyed a kind of privileged position in that they could reliably not worry about anyone copying a book to give it to a friend. The internet, e-book publishing, and even the ability to scan a book in easily at home to copy it have made a dramatic impact on publishing, just as it did to the music industry starting 20 years ago. Having said all that, the authoress whose books/characters I love is being less than clear in this case. Contracts can be renegotiated, and these books are subject to the same laws and restrictions as her other books. However reading between the lines on her website it appears that she had an early manuscript of the follow on story on her website, which got hacked, was stolen, and she is very upset about. (the upset part is made very clear on her website.) I believe she does not want to publish the second part as already written, as she is afraid the manuscript will appear for free online from the hackers, and she will lose any potential revenue from the effort. This is heavily implied/stated on her website as well. Honestly I understand her position, but it is one which upsets me as a reader. Having read about half of her published works, this was by far my favorite character, and it is upsetting that she has essentially let the "bad guys" win in a real world case of good gal versus bad guy. Something none of her characters would ever do... I would encourage my fellow Washingtonian to get really angry and publish the follow-on book online for free on her website while putting as little effort in to it as possible (but still not embarrassing herself). Go to her publisher and ask permission to do so, making the case that neither of them can expect to make a profit on it otherwise. Now, on Lilith's website, she could ask for donations from her loyal readers, I think Lilith would be surprised at how often her loyal readers would be willing to pay a recommended donation amount. In this fashion, Lilith can at least roll with the bad guys punch, and throw one back at them, while resolving the disappointment amongst her loyal fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2013 9:49:04 PM PDT
D_Reader says:
Are you saying she doesnt lose as much money on other books because they arent as good as steelflower thus they arent as pirated? I find that hard to believe.
Now I believe her when she said it didnt make any economic sense but that is because she has to write what sales the best and since she is still writing other novels its pretty clear Steelflower wasnt one of her best sellers even though I personally enjoyed it.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 3:20:33 AM PDT
I don't understand why she did not consider self-publishing on Amazon. The self-publishing route gets rid of e-piracy tremendously as the lower costs and immediate availability lends itself to immediate purchase by a reader. Steelflower was wonderfully engaging and a million times better than most of the 5-star fantasy books out today. I am almost tempted to spam her on facebook asking her about a sequel :)

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 5:32:45 PM PST
D. Politis says:
There is hope everyone!

On December 12, 2013 Lilith Saintcrow wrote this on her blog, "Lastly, there may be some news on the Steelflower front. If things go well I may be able to take the financial hit involved in writing a sequel, which is, I'm sure, welcome news to fans. It will definitely be a liability, though, and it depends on a lot of other scheduling stuff that's up in the air right now."

Please? Pretty please?

Here is the link to her blog post if you guys want to comment on her blog. http://www.lilithsaintcrow.com/journal/2013/12/selene-cover-reveal-and-more/

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 2:43:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2014 2:44:38 PM PDT
S. Fischer says:
She's not the first author to refuse to continue a series because of piracy. Quite frankly, as an honest buyer of the print version this kind of attitude makes me angry and has led me to not buying any more books from other authors in the past. That's not the case here (yet), but while I understand that authors are frustrated and think that every illegal download would have been a bought book otherwise (which is unrealistic), I think they should also understand that they're hurting their paying readers and thereby themselves. If you're not already invested in such an author, why should you financially support someone who has already left you hanging once? I also find it a bit peculiar that Steelflower is supposed to be so much worse with regard to piracy than other books by the same author - there are lots of illegal downloads floating around of her other titles. (Which I've got in print, too, by the way. I've actually invested quite a bit of money in Saintcrow's books.) So it's quite likely there's more to it - lower sales than other series, maybe a publisher that's not as good as others - who knows. I hope she will finish the series as she suggested in 2013, but at present her website still states that she refuses to do so due to piracy. That's all the more unfair as Steelflower is still being sold - and presumably making some money for her.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Steelflower (Steelflower Chronicles, Book 1)
Steelflower (Steelflower Chronicles, Book 1) by Lilith Saintcrow (Paperback - September 1, 2008)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (56)